C172 Cessna - Model Cockpit Panel Dimensions

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
KiwiFlight
Airman Basic

C172 Cessna - Model Cockpit Panel Dimensions

Post by KiwiFlight »

Hi guys I have been looking everywhere for some measurements for the cockpit of the A2A C172 Trainer model.

I am in the process of building a home cockpit modelled on this exact plane in FSX and wondered if anyone had the exact dimensions of each panel in the model? Or is there a way to open a model in 3D form and take measurements?

I found a lot of contradicting 172 measurements and seen as though I am modelling after this exact one I though why not ask here!

Thanks in advance :)

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: C172 Cessna - Model Cockpit Panel Dimensions

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hi,

And welcome to the community. Unfortunately I can't give you measurements. But it sounds like you found some already. The A2A 172 is modeled after the R model of the the real Skyhawk. Did you find measurements of a real 172R? Those should be correct.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

KiwiFlight
Airman Basic

Post by KiwiFlight »

Hi Piper and thanks for the warm welcome!

Unfortunately I still have had no luck! I can only find individual panel measurements e.g. the switch panel and all are contradictory!

The only one I can really find is this one which is fine but I would have to try and work out the small measurements from the overall dimensions in illustrator and because the image isn't very large it's hard to find exact measurements when zooming and measuring as it pixelates :(

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Ok I see. Maybe someone of the talented home cockpit builders will come to the rescue.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Such information tends to not exist or be behind paid services. Because of the bespoke nature of the information and the work that goes into getting it for our modelling afraid we don't give it out.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Easy... Standard three inch instruments, extrapolate the rest from that.

Smaller base measurement makes smaller gaps more "measurable" and you can avoid having to make the image bigger and risk pixelation. You could even measure it off your screen from the picture you have posted. It will always be hard to try to "subdivide" the large quoted figures to go smaller. As a rule, work from small to large and crosscheck with the large figure.
Oh..and don't get hung up on "exact" measurements as the R is different to the others anyhow. When you convert it to full scale, an inch either way will be completely unnoticable. That may be a little unpalatable but unless you get all the curves exact, the seat height exact, the distance to the panel exact, the rudder pedals and yoke exact....... What I guess I am saying is the Spitfire Cockpit is a 1:1 replica that has taken years..but don't ask me to list the things that are slightly "off"...and NOONE would ever be able to tell.

It does help to have been building cockpits for 16-17 years :) :) :)
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

KiwiFlight
Airman Basic

Post by KiwiFlight »

I suppose you are right!

I am just one of those people who meticulously plans things out! I will start off with the overall dimensions from that image and work my way from there cross-checking as I go!

I will post my findings if that would help anyone in the future :)

Dooga
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dooga »

How about getting in touch with a flying club or flight school at your local airport? I'm sure they'd let you measure a real C172, if you ask nicely...

KiwiFlight
Airman Basic

Post by KiwiFlight »

I have literally been looking ages for something like this:

http://flyingforfun.weebly.com/cessna-172-cockpit.html

I found it while looking for screw diameters :D

This guy has documented everything and has the PDFs of the layouts already for you to CNC/Lasercut/DIY which is awesome!

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”