Question about Flaps lever

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
Shousa
Senior Airman

Question about Flaps lever

Post by Shousa »

If I do the walk-around I cannot move the flaps if they are on the top setting - is that a kind of lock?

Sure it is but after checking the 119 references to the word flap in the manual I am not sure.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Question about Flaps lever

Post by AKar »

Do you mean you cannot lower them? Then only thing that comes to mind is that if you've got a pilot in the cockpit? Battery on?

If you mean that you can't move them by hand in walkaround window, then it is probably just made so that they need to be in the lowest position for the test.

Edit: if I said something about Cherokee here, it was because I mixed the forums on my mobile... :mrgreen:

-Esa

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

The flaps must be down for the walkaround so that you can see the linkages and tracks to perform the inspection. When they are retracted, they are under tension and will not wiggle around.

The flaps are extended during the cockpit checks portion of the preflight checklist.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Tiger_Walts
Senior Airman

Post by Tiger_Walts »

I know that on the Cherokee the flaps latch into place when in the up position. It's even firm enough to stand on, although it's best not to.

On the 172, I guess the linkages have less play when the flaps are up.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Cherokee's flaps work so that in the up position they are mechanically more or less locked (basically over-centre, if I recall) so that they can be used as a step. Their movement upwards is limited by the ratchet-like locking mechanism in the flap handle, but in all the other positions except fully up they move down by hand pressure, restricted only by a pair of retraction springs under the cabin floor. So there is no free play upwards, as they are held by spring pressure, but you can move them downwards all the way to the mechanical stops in the torque tube - be careful if there are any speed kit fairings, as those might not have enough space in their openings for the flaps to move as far as they mechanically can.

-Esa

Shousa
Senior Airman

Post by Shousa »

Thanks all - got it!

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”