Trim Wheel Slow

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
erik550c
Airman

Trim Wheel Slow

Post by erik550c »

Just flew the C172... I had multiple issues, but because my computer is too slow, I cannot run the C172 until I buy a new computer. I would like to know why the trim wheel was so slow that I couldn't use the trim wheel? I have the trim wheel set to a rocker switch on my Pro Flight yoke. I changed my FSX trim settings to the highest repeating setting, and I watched it move the trim wheel. It wasn't fast enough to be usable, and compared to when I moved the trim wheel with the mouse, I could tell that there was a problem. I can't use the mouse for the trim wheel while flying, though. Any solution? Also, I have a computer with the minimum system requirements for the C172, and it was not very enjoyable. I do already need a new computer, which I will be purchasing later.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Trim Wheel Slow

Post by MarcE »

Hi Erik,

first of all, the trim wheel isn't slow because of your computer but because they modeled it moving that slow. I don't understand why, but I guess they have a reason to do so.

If you have a registered FSUIPC (it's not that much to register) you can accelerate it using the button + switches option.

Make it look like this:

for trim up:

for trim down:

the 0 in the Offset section is a "zero". The 50 value in "Parameter" is just my setting, it depends on your personal preferences. you can increase or decrease it if you would like your trim to move faster or slower.

Greets,
Marc

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

The reason the trim wheel moves that slowly when you use the electric trim switches, is because that is how slowly the real trim wheel moves. The only way to move it faster is to physically grab the wheel and turn it with your hand.

Some users have posted tweaks to get it to move faster some of which might make fine adjustments more difficult to make. The ones that make the trim wheel move slowly at first and then speed up sound like they would be more useful.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Oracle,

I've just noticed that there are actually two trim switches on the C172R yoke. I've only flown a C172N and some other older planes in our club that don't have electrical trim. Do you know whether there's a way to move it slow by using one switch and fast when using both switches? Or do the have any further functions?

Greets,
Marc

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

You can't operate the trim unless both switches are pushed together. I assume it is a safety feature to prevent accidental operation of the trim. I believe that pushing on either of the electric trim switches will also disconnect the AP. I know that it will disconnect the AP if you operate the electric trim, but I can't recall if pushing either switch will trigger the disconnect.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

erik550c
Airman

Post by erik550c »

Will the Saitek Cessna trim wheel rotate the trim wheel at the actual speed of hand-grabbing the trim wheel?

erik550c
Airman

Post by erik550c »

I got the trim working just fine by modifying the aircraft.cfg. There is a post on these forums with a good setting. A2A may disagree, and it may cause problems, but it is working for me.

Mr.Düssel
Airman First Class

Post by Mr.Düssel »

@erik550c:
Nearly. I have absolutely no problems with the trim by using the trimwheel.

erik550c
Airman

Post by erik550c »

Mr.Düssel wrote:@erik550c:
Nearly. I have absolutely no problems with the trim by using the trimwheel.
With the Saitek Cessna trim wheel or a switch that is mapped to up and down?

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

I use two buttons on my flight stick for up and down trim. Set through FSX, repeat maximum. When holding one of the buttons, the trim wheel starts to move slow, then moves real fast. Takes only a few seconds to move through the entire range.

erik550c
Airman

Post by erik550c »

robert41 wrote:I use two buttons on my flight stick for up and down trim. Set through FSX, repeat maximum. When holding one of the buttons, the trim wheel starts to move slow, then moves real fast. Takes only a few seconds to move through the entire range.
This did not occur for me. When I set the trim to max. repeat and held a toggle switch down, the wheel would speed up slightly, but much too slow to trim the plane properly.

erik550c
Airman

Post by erik550c »

Interesting thing about this issue: When mapping the trim wheel to my yoke rocker switches, the trim was too slow to be used whatsoever. When using my joystick and a fresh install, the trim when mapped to joystick buttons, worked great with default MS settings and A2A C172 settings. On the Yoke, it did not. On my Saitek Multi Panel trim wheel (which is useless from the factory for all planes, too slow), does not work.

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Interesting. This would indicate that the pro flight configuration or control setup is not compatible with these aircraft or FSX? My flight stick, I believe also has a control setup, but I never used it. I map all buttons through FSX, and a certain few through A2A's input configurator with no problems.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”