V2.0 is a whole new plane regarding Left Turning Tendencies!

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
Alec246
Airman First Class

V2.0 is a whole new plane regarding Left Turning Tendencies!

Post by Alec246 »

I felt the need to create this topic to congratulate the A2A Team on the AccuSim V2.0 update for the Cessna.

I gave the Cessna a quick spin, without any hope that there would be major change in the FM, but as I was climbing out, with my friend Jose Monteiro watching my Screen on Skype, we both were shocked how I could keep rudder pressure, without any aileron input, and the plane would fly level, ball centered! Something Huge happened in the simulation.

I continued to do slow flight, and the controls felt harmonic, and reacted in the way I expected the plane to react, the mush on slow speeds is fantastic, feels really close to what I felt when doing slow flights, and I don't know if it's a placebo effect, but I felt the ground effect is reduced, before I felt the plane floating forever, not what I expected from a high wing, but now it comes a time where it just drops to the ground, whether you like it or not.

So, I'm very pleased with this update, I just couldn't start the plane after V2, lost several batteries, and a starter!! No idea what I'm doing wrong!

I'm anxious to try the Piper, a plane which I like the flight characteristics a lot more than the Cessna

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: V2.0 is a whole new plane regarding Left Turning Tendenc

Post by DHenriques_ »

Alec246 wrote:I felt the need to create this topic to congratulate the A2A Team on the AccuSim V2.0 update for the Cessna.

I gave the Cessna a quick spin, without any hope that there would be major change in the FM, but as I was climbing out, with my friend Jose Monteiro watching my Screen on Skype, we both were shocked how I could keep rudder pressure, without any aileron input, and the plane would fly level, ball centered! Something Huge happened in the simulation.

I continued to do slow flight, and the controls felt harmonic, and reacted in the way I expected the plane to react, the mush on slow speeds is fantastic, feels really close to what I felt when doing slow flights, and I don't know if it's a placebo effect, but I felt the ground effect is reduced, before I felt the plane floating forever, not what I expected from a high wing, but now it comes a time where it just drops to the ground, whether you like it or not.

So, I'm very pleased with this update, I just couldn't start the plane after V2, lost several batteries, and a starter!! No idea what I'm doing wrong!

I'm anxious to try the Piper, a plane which I like the flight characteristics a lot more than the Cessna

You are going to LOVE the Cherokee ! Trust me. I've been flying it now for several weeks and it gets better with each flight........and it was perfect to begin with :-))))))))))))))))
Dudley Henriques

jcomm
Senior Airman

Post by jcomm »

Alec,

this is really GREAT NEWS, specially now that FSX / P3D look like they're going to be the only two worth GA sims available....

Indeed what I saw yesterday was very rewarding, and it's amazing how A2A didn't lower their arms and continues to work hard in the good way, bringing us an even better FDM each time.

Looking forward for the Archer!
Use your flight simulators with a well defined purpose...

Don't expect them to be "perfect" or to fully cover all aspects of simulated flight...

Try to enjoy it instead of stressing... ( in few words - don't be like me ... )

ftrusky
Senior Airman

Post by ftrusky »

Alec246 wrote:I felt the need to create this topic to congratulate the A2A Team on the AccuSim V2.0 update for the Cessna.

Couldn't agree more, this 172 V2 feels and handles like a different plane. I find it's easier to keep it on the center line on takeoff and landing instead of wobbling left and right, I was always over compensating because I couldn't feel it correctly. And what a pleasure to be holding the nose up instead of pushing it down on approaches, much easier to hold the line that way for me. Taxiing is a lot better also, makes me want to explore the airports I land at a lot more. My Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel seems to integrate better too.

And, yes, I've got a pile of dead batteries in my hangar too. :lol:
Frank

Rig #1: I7 4770 @ 4.3,16GB @ 2133, Nv GTX780, 1TB Sansung SSD, 40" Sony KDL 40EX500,CH Prod, Bose Comp. 5, W7 64
Rig #2: I7 2700 @ 4.6, 8GB @ 1866, Nv GTX580, C=256GB SSD, E&F=2 X 600 V-raps, 30" Dell, CH Prod, Bose Comp. 5, W7 64

flaminghotsauce
Senior Airman

Post by flaminghotsauce »

I'm glad someone mentioned the mush on slow flight! That is very well done. I don't MEAN to get into slow flight, but when I take off, I'm guessing on the nose down trim, and I often end up very very slow, stall warning going off, etc while shoving the trim wheel. . . Mush is great.

mezekmezek
Airman Basic

Post by mezekmezek »

Alec246 wrote:So, I'm very pleased with this update, I just couldn't start the plane after V2, lost several batteries, and a starter!! No idea what I'm doing wrong!
I have the same problem. Unable to start Cessna... :?

chadryan
Senior Airman

Post by chadryan »

mezekmezek wrote:
Alec246 wrote:So, I'm very pleased with this update, I just couldn't start the plane after V2, lost several batteries, and a starter!! No idea what I'm doing wrong!
I have the same problem. Unable to start Cessna... :?
Remember just a small amount of priming and no priming at all if the engine is warm. I haven't had any trouble starting it since installing 2.0.

Tiger_Walts
Senior Airman

Post by Tiger_Walts »

Just did some circuits at Danbury in the V2.0.

ATC put me on 35, which is the runway with hills in front of it and a valley approach. Engine start took an extra couple of turns of the prop before she fired up. Ground handling is much better, the plane now rolls at 900 rpm and the rudder and brakes offer more fine control than before.

On the take-off roll, much more right rudder is needed. Continued right rudder is also needed for takeoff and slow flight. The mushy handling at slow speeds is something to get used to and caught me out later on where I didn't have the elevator authority that was used too. My final landing bounced 3 times. The shame (alhough the sounds and simulation of said bounces felt very authentic).

Flying those tight circuits, rapidly changing between aerodynamic states, makes aligning the plane much trickier. Back to more 'considered' approaches for a while I think.

L.A.
Senior Airman

Post by L.A. »

jcomm wrote:Alec,

this is really GREAT NEWS, specially now that FSX / P3D look like they're going to be the only two worth GA sims available....

Indeed what I saw yesterday was very rewarding, and it's amazing how A2A didn't lower their arms and continues to work hard in the good way, bringing us an even better FDM each time.

Looking forward for the Archer!
Does look that way, doesn't it....... :mrgreen:

Saw the XP 10.30 beta answer to your question. The roll just keeps on a rollin.....

L.A.
Senior Airman

Post by L.A. »

Tiger_Walts wrote:Just did some circuits at Danbury in the V2.0.

ATC put me on 35, which is the runway with hills in front of it and a valley approach. Engine start took an extra couple of turns of the prop before she fired up. Ground handling is much better, the plane now rolls at 900 rpm and the rudder and brakes offer more fine control than before.

On the take-off roll, much more right rudder is needed. Continued right rudder is also needed for takeoff and slow flight. The mushy handling at slow speeds is something to get used to and caught me out later on where I didn't have the elevator authority that was used too. My final landing bounced 3 times. The shame (alhough the sounds and simulation of said bounces felt very authentic).

Flying those tight circuits, rapidly changing between aerodynamic states, makes aligning the plane much trickier. Back to more 'considered' approaches for a while I think.
My RV6A, with it's small rudder, and the same 180 HP engine as the Cessna 172 (but with a constant speed prop)..................took a fair amount of right rudder on the takeoff roll, and climb. These left drift forces would diminish as airspeed picked up, which was quite rapid. As far as I'm concerned, the RV just took more rudder push than the Cessna. However........... many years ago, I was sitting right seat in a older Cessna 172 that had a 180 HP upgrade. Was doing three takeoffs and landings for currency. On the second touch and go, I had a brain lapse, and instinctivly pulled back with my left hand to rotate. Problem is, now the left hand is on the throttle instead of the yoke, as if I was sitting in the left seat. Since I had leg pressure on the right rudder pedal to stay on the runway centerline, the left drift forces immediately dissappeared, as the engine went to idle. That 172 litterly made a hard right, towards the runway edge and lights. It really surprised me, just how fast it did so. Looking at my left hand, I quickly added power, and left rudder at the same time. Everything worked out okay...........except the other pilot sitting next to me, and wondering what that was all about.
Never the less, the forces to keep on that centerline, even in a Cessna 172, are rather significant.

jcomm
Senior Airman

Post by jcomm »

Yes L.A., we can, finally, fly realistically a prop GA, and will soon be able to fly yet another one - the Piper :-)

FSX / P3D ... that's, still, the **ONLY** way to go...
Use your flight simulators with a well defined purpose...

Don't expect them to be "perfect" or to fully cover all aspects of simulated flight...

Try to enjoy it instead of stressing... ( in few words - don't be like me ... )

ilya1502
Staff Sergeant

Post by ilya1502 »

For all those who get troubles starting the engine: remember, this engine is craving for air on start up and you can help it by opening the throttle a bit more than the book says when cranking. Try this and it will start like "punch-and-fly".

As to me, this update is somewhat controversial. While everything said here is quite fair, I think that now the pitch lacks proper response to airspeed changes. Also during taxi the airplane stops rapidly when the rudder is deflected, and I have to center the rudder to start moving with a reasonable amount of power.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”