BestRegards
N3 Solution
Image Image Image Image Image

bmd
Airman

Re: A2A C172 T Walkaround | Check wheel suspension or spring

Post by bmd »

Hello,

Thank for the link. But I have not succed to understand what one should do to test the front landing gear? Can you tell me what should I do to make this test of the front landing gear? Thank for your help.

Have a good day

Benoit

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

bmd wrote: Thank for the link. But I have not succed to understand what one should do to test the front landing gear?
Normally, one wouldn't.

Normally (RW) you just eyeball the strut to ensure it has the right height showing. Sometimes the nose strut can stick (for example: stick high) after landing and the next person to fly sees that during preflight... you bounce the nose and "normally" the strut will return to its correct height.

-Rob O.
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

sdflyer
Senior Airman

Post by sdflyer »

Shock seals may give up gradually until one day one may find strut in permanently compressed state
I had to changed mine not that long ago

Mig_Driver
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mig_Driver »

Oh man, bummer when you can see the pool of hydraulic fluid. And I thought my Trans Am's shocks were pricey!
ALL THE A2A PLANES!!!

Canders
Airman First Class

Post by Canders »

How often, if ever, so you clean the oleo with hydraulic fluid. I'm sure that would certainly help!

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

Canders wrote:How often, if ever, so you clean the oleo with hydraulic fluid. I'm sure that would certainly help!
In the U.S., there are certain conditions were the registered owner can perform a number of preventative maintenance items. FAA Part 43 (and AC 43-12A) spell out how to comply with those requirements. Any actual owner contemplating this should first read the regs, then contact AOPA on how to comply with the regs.

Just a couple of points to mention here. As a pilot / instructor... never, offhand, do I remember wiping down a gear strut. Then again, I can never remember walking out to the plane and seeing one dirty'd up.

You need to be aware of what type of hydraulic fluid is being used in the strut, as using the wrong type on the exposed part of the strut could ruin the seals.

Anytime you use oil / lubricant, any "excess" becomes a dirt magnet. The struts I have seen are chrome plated... getting dirt on them that sticks is a recipe to scratch the chrome and/or seals (not a good thing).

As I say... just some things to keep in mind.
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I know some pilots that used to always wipe down their struts then wonder why their strut seals don't last. I rarely need to wipe mind down, but when I do, I use hydraulic fluid to keep the soils lubricated.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”