My take on voice activated checklists

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Re: My take on voice activated checklists

Post by SouthPawPaul »

Mike62 wrote:Is it possible to have a keyboard shortcut to respond to the checklist item. I currently do not have a headset so voice control will not work for me.

Thanks,
Mike Cameron
Thanks for you interest in this app.

Currently the code does not do this. I may well add this after I've got a first stable release working, but for the moment my focus is the first release.
ImageImageImage

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

OK. Here's the first release.
https://code.google.com/p/voice-activated-checklists/

I've stuck to my guns and have made this open source for those of you interested in downloading and having a play, fixing the bugs or adding functionality or just having a laugh :)

I've made two videos:

This one explains a little about microphone levels. This is quite important to check out to get the best possible experience with the app:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spQn1_bu_04[/youtube]

This one explains where to get the download from and also gives a walkthrough of the currently implemented functionality
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo40kPR05N0[/youtube]

I've refrained from subjecting you to my terrible flying so you're just going to have to imagine that part yourselves.

Please do report issues or suggestions that you have either here or on the Google Code page (I hope the guys at A2A don't mind! I should probably ask). I will endeavour to respond with a solution in a timely fashion however do please realise that I do have a demanding full time programming job and an equally demanding young family :)

I hope you enjoy using it as much as I do.
ImageImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Great Job. I look forward to having a play with it in coming weeks (like you its the young family time issue hehe :mrgreen: )
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Mantock
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mantock »

This is amazing!!!
Its like the FS2 Crew for the 737 but for the C172!!!

I will definitely be making my next video with this software :)
ImageImage

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

Thanks for the great comments.

I've done a video. It's not a "Mantock Productions" video :) but it gets the point across I hope. Sorry it's so jerky, but my poor system was creaking under the strain.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCrUuuhdENw[/youtube]
ImageImageImage

budmorgan
Staff Sergeant

Post by budmorgan »

Absolutely brilliant Paul - How hard would it be to adapt your creation to other models? Is it something that the end user could do?

Cheers!

Bud
Buddy Morgan

ImageImageImage

i5 2500k - Asus P8P67 Pro - G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB - EVGA GTX 570 Fermi

airworthy
Airman

Post by airworthy »

Just a little frustrated here ............
The app isn't running properly for me. Looking at the debug window, it is recognising all my commands, but generally nothing gets activated. Occasionally, but not always, I get the "No Checklist Active" showing and likewise occasionally I can get the "Show Checklists" command to display the list...........but that's all :(

Any ideas Paul?

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

budmorgan wrote:Absolutely brilliant Paul - How hard would it be to adapt your creation to other models? Is it something that the end user could do?

Cheers!

Bud
It wouldn't be at all difficult. Just create another .checklist file, write the checlists out and point the app at it. Of course you would get the default Microsoft speech engine speaking to you unless you wanted to record replacement .wav as I have for the 172 checklist.
ImageImageImage

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

airworthy wrote:Just a little frustrated here ............
The app isn't running properly for me. Looking at the debug window, it is recognising all my commands, but generally nothing gets activated. Occasionally, but not always, I get the "No Checklist Active" showing and likewise occasionally I can get the "Show Checklists" command to display the list...........but that's all :(

Any ideas Paul?
When the debug window shows that it recognised a command, note down the lowest value for that command in the Confidence column.

Set the confidence threshold level to that value

Apply the changes.

When the app has restarted, go back to the debug window and say a few commands. Ensure that, when the debug window shows a command has been recognised, that you get the transparent green status window from the app too. If you don't, then although the speech engine is recognising the command, the app isn't letting it through to be processed.
Last edited by SouthPawPaul on 05 Nov 2013, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

airworthy
Airman

Post by airworthy »

G'day Paul

That worked like a charm. Just lowered the confidence threshold to 94 after a reading of 94.66 and lo and behold I'm in business :D

Thanks for your assistance
Cheers

Paul

BTW Some time ago I installed an Ivona voice font for Windows speech recognition. (Emma British)
Not only does the voice quality sound realistic, it is possible to edit any pronunciation issues so that it will be easy to structure other checklists without making .wav files (my speaking voice sounds awful played back :roll: )

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

airworthy wrote:G'day Paul

That worked like a charm. Just lowered the confidence threshold to 94 after a reading of 94.66 and lo and behold I'm in business :D

Thanks for your assistance
Cheers

Paul

BTW Some time ago I installed an Ivona voice font for Windows speech recognition. (Emma British)
Not only does the voice quality sound realistic, it is possible to edit any pronunciation issues so that it will be easy to structure other checklists without making .wav files (my speaking voice sounds awful played back :roll: )
Glad to hear you're on your way.

Thanks for the information on Ivona. If I get time I'll download some voices and see how they perform.
ImageImageImage

airworthy
Airman

Post by airworthy »

G'day Paul

This video was recorded using your SimVoiceChecklists app with the .wav files removed.
The Ivona voice font performed as expected with the pronunciation of practically all words being spot on. Just a small amount of tweaking is required for the odd word or two.
You'll gather from the playback quality of my voice why I'm reluctant to record my own .wav files for a other checklists that I put together :wink:

Thanks for a great little app :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHLBbmmo ... ure=player embedded[/youtube]

airworthy
Airman

Post by airworthy »

and of course just a short step to putting together another checklist..........so cool 8)

I'm really taken with the way you've put all this together. As I posted on page one of this topic, I had a similar idea of producing a checklist reader, but my programming skills in VB.Net are modest to say the least. My app is working, although not fully complete yet. I will finish it , just for the exercise, but this one that you've produced is SO much more sophisticated allowing a great scope of voice commands and I really like the nice touch of emulating the green message bar in FSX. You've produced a winner in my book. :!:

Cheers
Paul

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-di6GRZ ... ure=player embedded[/youtube]

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

It's a wonderful boost to see the app in use by someone other than me :)

You have no idea how much pleasure your two videos give me. It's incredible to see not only it working with the checklist supplied but that you've written your own for another aircraft. Thanks for the great feedback.

I hope that the community pick up on it and we can get a community library of checklists for other aircraft too :)
ImageImageImage

Puk
Senior Airman

Post by Puk »

What a big disappointement.... I really was looking forward to install and tryout your magnificent looking Voice Checklist. Having read all the information and watched all the video's, I was planning to check it out this afternoon. Unfortunately. .. the Dutch installed Windows7 (Home Premium) OS doesn't recognize English speech. The only way to get that changed, I think, is to reinstall Windows7 with English as language :?

I made a little trip nevertheless and used the analog checklist.

If there's an easier way to get things work, please let me know!

Peter
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”