My take on voice activated checklists

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Re: My take on voice activated checklists

Post by SouthPawPaul »

Thanks for your interest in this app.

I was initially confused when I read your request because I was sure I had coded that functionality, but upon testing I could see it didn't work.

This was because I reworked the dictionary the voice recognition works from to only include the words defined in the checklist file plus some specials. I had forgotten to add "repeat" to the specials list.

I will alter the code, but in the mean time you can work around it by adding the following dummy checklist to the bottom of your active checklist file

<checklist name="dummy">
<item name="dummy" vcommand="repeat"/>
</checklist>

This will unfortunately show in the "Show Checklist" window, but it will give you the repeat voice command you're after until I can build a new release. I hope to do this change and another this weekend and get a build out by Sunday.
ImageImageImage

haqzaf
Airman Basic

Post by haqzaf »

SouthPawPaul ,
Good to see your reply.
I did copy dummy code at the end of xml. Will wait for your update. You can add another code to switch between the checklist block phases, e.g "cabin" to "Before Start" back to "Cabin" if Pilot want to switch or cycle back. Meanwhile, I completed the main checklist for TECNAM P92 aircraft. I'm working on emergency procedures. Will be ready tonight.
Please let me know where, I can post the "sound files folder, XML file" for your viewing or A2A admin might be interested.
March 20, 2014,
IVONA Software company inform me that I'm not allowed to upload any sound files created by Trail version License. Sorry.
I'll look for open source free Text to Voice software for the purpose and let others know the progress.Thanks

smallick
Airman Basic

Post by smallick »

Hey all, just found out about this amazing piece of software from my va's (Fly UK) quarterly SKYWAYS magazine. I had a few issues getting it working and v4 always ctd. However got v.1 to work great and I wanted to set about writing one for my captainsim 757.

Now I have pretty much no programming experience but I had a look at the A2A C172 checklist and thought I can do that!!! I can't!?! I opened the checklist with works spreadsheet and saved it as b752. Just not working for me any advice. Just looking for a guide to making my own.

Thanks
Simon

smallick
Airman Basic

Post by smallick »

Re my previous post, I have sorted it. Love this program. I could kiss you!!!

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

Just a quick note to let you know I am still here, just a change of job (I'm now working for a software company at Farnborough Airport - so much to see! :) ) has kept me way busier than I expected. When things calm down I hope to do some bug fixing on the code base.
ImageImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Great to hear, you must have some great sights from your office! 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

I certainly can. Today's highlight was an Avanti Ferrari, yesterday's was a Q400. On a daily basis there are a glut of Cessna Citations (various models) and a good handful of King Airs.

I'm like a kid at a sweet shop. I pinch myself every day!
ImageImageImage

issgazer
Airman Basic

Post by issgazer »

SouthPawPaul,

Thank you for this excellent contribution to the FS world. I'm really enjoying being able to easily work the checklists using this method.

I do have a request though <g>

My voice is often affected by medication, consequently I prefer the keybind method, as sometimes the recognition engine struggles to understand I'm the same person who trained it!

Would it be possible to have a keybind that can generate the 'repeat' function discussed earlier? I use fsuipc to link the 'progress' and 'show checklist' keybinds to buttons on my yoke.
A "what-the-heck-did-he-just-say?" keybind would be great!
Even greater :wink: would be the ability to move forward and back through the complete checklist structure, so simply a 'back' rather than 'repeat' keybind?

I hope the distractions of the traffic now seen from the office are both fun and inspiring.

Regards,

John

Just reviewed my post and can answer the obvious question ..... no, not that kind of "medication" .... unfortunately :lol:

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

Hi John,

Glad you're enjoying the app. Adding a keybind to trigger the repeat functionality is a useful idea. I'll add it to the small but growing list of things that needs to be done to the app.

Of course, I'll take this opportunity to remind anyone who's reading and interested that this is open source software and anyone is free to make code changes.
https://code.google.com/p/voice-activated-checklists/
ImageImageImage

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

Probably aren't many here that would know how to change the code. I learned to code back when the languages of choice were things like RPG III and Fortran, now its languages like VBasic and C++. I'm too far out of the loop to even try and play with it. :mrgreen:

issgazer
Airman Basic

Post by issgazer »

Thank you for considering my request. It's simply to replicate glancing up and down the list.

Coding is my bane I'm afraid. I've never achieved anything of any standard. A project way-back-when, using Ashton Tates dBASE IV on CPM killed the fun for me and I've never recovered! Now I'm limited to pinching other admins Powershell and VB examples in my day job.

Cheers

John

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

Hi Paul. I have to confess I ignored this thread for the first 7 pages. I thought it was an iphone (or Android) app for checklists. Oops.
My favourite feature is that it waits for a response.

I love the idea. The videos look great as well. Thank you for this I'll give it a try.

Regarding people requesting additional features. Some additions have made sense obviously but its possible for software to become too bloated, and this will be running alongside FSX so I hope it isn't expected to do too much :)

Paul, I live in Farnborough (and I'm a developer) so its funny reading that you're working over by the airport. :)

Thanks again.
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.
5600x, 32GB ram, RX 6800XT, Windows 11.

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

Wiqvist wrote:(....)

That you could create such a great Add-On and just give it away, made me think of another 'thing' that I have thought about some time. That is why not anyone have created an Add-On to make an emergency-landing. So you in the atc can chose a Mayday and then you will be first in landing. That is a simple Version than you could have developed it With fire trucks and make it more and more realistic, but as a begining just a mayday and everyone else goaround until you have landed. Do you know if such a program would be dificult to create?
Maybe it is not possible and that is why no one have done it?
Although this is OT (sorry) I do think its a good idea. My understanding is that you won't be thanked on Vatsim for requesting an emergency landing. The idea would (I imagine) work best as part of an existing ATC package though. You'd just need a couple of vehicles designing and handled by AI and then some changes to the ATC logic to work with it.

As it would happen offline you could either do it for a laugh or as part of a real plane issue (such as the engine trouble modelled by developers such as PMDG and A2A).

edit: Oops, I've just noticed the irony of writing one post about how software can become bloated, immediately followed by another post about the possibility of adding emergency vehicles to an ATC package :oops:
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.
5600x, 32GB ram, RX 6800XT, Windows 11.

airworthy
Airman

Post by airworthy »

For what it's worth, as a strictly amateur programmer, I have put together in VB .Net a simple editor for use with Sim Voice Checklists.
The sole purpose of this editor is to facilitate the creation of aircraft checklists expediently in the format required by Sim Voice Checklists application created by Paul Endersby.
The aim is to allow for the creation and/or editing of checklists in this format with the editor doing most of the repetitive work and minimising the chance of syntax error in the file.

I have just recently completed this app and have only tested it a handful of times. It seems to be working as required and it is after all, a simple no frills editor. :roll:

You can download the zip file at http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/46318493/file.html - updated to version 01.01

Cheers
Paul
Last edited by airworthy on 01 May 2014, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

I like it!

Nice job there Paul. I've always thought that was one of the things this project was lacking.

A manual too! Being a commercial software developer I will of course never write a manual. I applaud your sterling work :)
ImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”