100 hour inspection

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
chav241
Senior Airman

100 hour inspection

Post by chav241 »

Hey everyone since I have just passed 100 hours I an curious as to what is required for the 100 HR inspection in RL and if any thing different or extra to do in the A2A 172

Regards
Windows 10
Intel Core i7-6700k @4.00GHz Ram 16GB GTX 980 Ti
FSX plus Acceleration
Piper cub - P47 Razorback - B377 Stratocruiser + COTS - B17 - Spitfire
C172 Trainer(TT65) Piper Cherokee(TT110) C182(TT08)

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Re: 100 hour inspection

Post by Great Ozzie »

100 hr. inspection and Annual are the same inspections with a couple exceptions (beside 100hrs / annual).

A 100 hr. inspection can be done by an A&P... Annual inspection must be done by an A&P w/ an I.A. (Inspection Authorization).

Annuals are what the typical private owner has done.

100 hr. inspections are necessary for aircraft used in commercial ops like planes owned by a Flight School or say a plane owned by someone who leases it back to an FBO for rental purposes.
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

pilotgod
Senior Airman

Post by pilotgod »

Below is a link to a .pdf file that is a checklist used by one operator when performing a 100 hour inspection. This should give you a good idea what all is involved.

A bit off topic, but, I have this printed out and in my flight bag as one of the ways I demonstrate to nervous flyers the care and attention that aircraft recieve. I explain that if we were to do this to our cars every 5,000 miles, we would have a lot more "classics" still on the road. This combined with having them accompany me on the preflight check has calmed more nerves than anything else I have tried.

http://www.johnscarry.com/Projects/Annu ... iginal.pdf
System Specs:
Intel i7-2600 @ 4.3GHz, ASUS P8P67-Deluxe, 8GB DDR3-1600, ATI Radeon HD7770 (2GB), OCZ Vertex 250GB SSD (OS), Seagate 1TB HDD (Data)
FSX w/Acceleration and tons of add-ons.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I like to get them up in the air then start tapping on the nav1 display and shake my head saying "hmmm that's weird its never done that before, I wonder what it means?" Their reactions are priceless.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

pilotgod
Senior Airman

Post by pilotgod »

n421nj wrote:I like to get them up in the air then start tapping on the nav1 display and shake my head saying "hmmm that's weird its never done that before, I wonder what it means?" Their reactions are priceless.

LOL, well that is one idea. I've heard similar reactions to the interrogation light on the transponder. Usually I am trying to get people to see how much fun flying is, not scar them for life.
System Specs:
Intel i7-2600 @ 4.3GHz, ASUS P8P67-Deluxe, 8GB DDR3-1600, ATI Radeon HD7770 (2GB), OCZ Vertex 250GB SSD (OS), Seagate 1TB HDD (Data)

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Hi all, especially Americans/Canadians -

Regarding the topic, and out of curiosity, I'm interested to ask how the inspections to GA aircraft are required to be performed by authority in North America these days? Specifically, is the compliance with relevant SB's and specific AMM Chapter 4 & 5 (etc.) tasks required, or is a compliance with general guidelines considered acceptable?

I'm interested, because (in principle) in Europe, you'll need to show to be in compliance with an approved aircraft maintenance programme, which in turn should be based on manufacturer's recommendations. That basically means that if lacking good explanations, you'll have to time control all the items found in AMM, SB's and so on. So the 100-hour inspection will include the usual 100-hour item list by manufacturer(s) and also all the relevant time controlled items.

- Esa

pilotgod
Senior Airman

Post by pilotgod »

There are two options allowed by the FAA for aircraft operating under Part 91 (where most GA falls). The first is the annual/100 hour system as shown above and is what most aircraft will be held to. The second is "Phase" inspections, which are more along the lines of how airlines and other large operators work. everything is checked on assigned intervals as dictated by the manufacturer and the FAA. You will likely see this on new aircraft as it is easier with the warranty, whereas older aircraft trend to follow the annual/100 hour model. You can search out FAR 23 for the specifics.
System Specs:

chav241
Senior Airman

Post by chav241 »

pilotgod wrote:Below is a link to a .pdf file that is a checklist used by one operator when performing a 100 hour inspection. This should give you a good idea what all is involved.

A bit off topic, but, I have this printed out and in my flight bag as one of the ways I demonstrate to nervous flyers the care and attention that aircraft recieve. I explain that if we were to do this to our cars every 5,000 miles, we would have a lot more "classics" still on the road. This combined with having them accompany me on the preflight check has calmed more nerves than anything else I have tried.

http://www.johnscarry.com/Projects/Annu ... iginal.pdf

Hey Pilotgod

Thank you for that link, I am really just curious to see what is involved for an operator.

Also thanks to everyone who gave their bit.

Regards
Windows 10
Intel Core i7-6700k @4.00GHz Ram 16GB GTX 980 Ti
FSX plus Acceleration
Piper cub - P47 Razorback - B377 Stratocruiser + COTS - B17 - Spitfire
C172 Trainer(TT65) Piper Cherokee(TT110) C182(TT08)

pilotgod
Senior Airman

Post by pilotgod »

From the operator side? The ability to spend large amounts of cash without collapsing into a sobbing heap in the corner is beneficial. Seriously, it isn't too demanding as long as you have good records and decent mechanics. ars the aircraft ages and accrues flight time though, the inspections will start becoming more expensive as you wind up having to fix more than just inspect. That is when you start seeing operators selling their old aircraft and upgrading to new.
System Specs:

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”