Wondering about realism with the ignition and fuel system

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
CJmodiano
Airman

Wondering about realism with the ignition and fuel system

Post by CJmodiano »

I'm just wondering how deep the simulation goes with certain aspects of the airplane. I'm hoping this airplane will be a good training tool not only for flying, but also for other important procedures like starting a flooded or vapor locked engine. Can I purposely flood an engine in this plane, and then get it started with the modified starting procedure? How about the mag check... I skip a lot of stuff on the checklists when I sim fly, because I know the mags will be absolutely fine, but with this A2A aircraft, can I foul the plugs if I never lean in the climb, or taxi around at full rich on a 105 degree day? These are the types of things that I'm hoping for that will make this the ultimate training tool for myself, being a real pilot and future CFI in a 172R and SP.

sdflyer
Senior Airman

Re: Wondering about realism with the ignition and fuel syste

Post by sdflyer »

Hi CJ,
That kind of thing would not help you to become a CFI. CFI is all about teaching not about flying ( they assume that you know how to fly already by the time you get signed off for CFI initial) ;) However, you can practice to explain how things work. A2a would be great visual aid.

CJmodiano
Airman

Post by CJmodiano »

No no no no, that's not at all what I meant. If I was depending on FSX to help me become a CFI, I'd never make it. I do not intend to use this aircraft as a student training device either. My point is I fly a 172 every day, and personally, for myself, I just want an airplane that's very similar so I can play around and torture it in a way I never would in real life, such as flying overweight, flying with a messed up CG, intentionally flooding the engine, flying with low oil, just fun stuff that I wouldn't do in real life.

sdflyer
Senior Airman

Post by sdflyer »

Well you are aware of things already, and that is pretty good!

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

CJmodiano wrote:...just fun stuff that I wouldn't do in real life.
If you wouldn't do it in real life, why would you want to in the simulator? Just because you can trash a simulated aircraft and replace it with a single mouse click, or nosedive into a mountain and walk away unscathed doesn't mean you should. Bad habits tend to follow you around. :wink:

CJmodiano
Airman

Post by CJmodiano »

Not true, there's really only a 40% chance I'll try flying an actual 172 upside down. (<--that's a joke. You guys are serious as a heart attack)

But anywho, back to the actual question, it would be cool if you could flood or foul this airplane. Anybody from A2A care to chime in?

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tigerclaw »

You're not doing yourself any favours here you know. Scott is really touchy about his babies, and if you're telling him you're gonna "torture" one of 'em, he won't sell you one LMAO. He may even BAN you for life LOL
Tony (That's all your getting, like it or lump it)

MSFS i7-7700 Kaby Lake CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores (Liquid cooled) Gigabyte B250M-DS3H-CF M/Board 32 Gig DDR4 Ram Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB GDDR 5 Win 10 Home Acer Predator XB271HU.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes as with all the Accu-sim aircraft they can be fouled etc. However at this time there is no 'press this button' to fail in this and that. So you must manually ruin the aircraft yourself.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Mig_Driver
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mig_Driver »

Will the circuit breakers all be functional? If not I wouldn't blame you because that would be a mountain of code in and of itself.
ALL THE A2A PLANES!!!

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

Bruce Hamilton wrote:If you wouldn't do it in real life, why would you want to in the simulator?
Geez, lighten up. Have you ever flown one of your sim planes dangerously low over terrain, or even (dare I ask) had fun with FSX? Have you ever, heaven forbid, landed at an international airport without ATC clearance in a sim?

There is nothing wrong with using a simulator to explore situations we wouldn't, shouldn't or couldn't do in real life. That is kind of one of the main points....

BTW, I absolutely wouldn't fly a P-51 in real life. Does that mean I shouldn't want to in the simulator?

Kindest regards,

Joe
Joe

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tigerclaw »

What's "ATC"? I thought I had everything, planes, helicopters, and a shed load of scenery with land class and mesh, but I haven't got "ATC" in my sim. What is it, and where do I get it?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Tony (That's all your getting, like it or lump it)

MSFS i7-7700 Kaby Lake CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores (Liquid cooled) Gigabyte B250M-DS3H-CF M/Board 32 Gig DDR4 Ram Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB GDDR 5 Win 10 Home Acer Predator XB271HU.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

We have not coded flooding and vapor lock. These are natural progessions however, but we need to make sure all new features are thoroughly researched and tested before implementing. The framework however is already there. Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

flyboy4612
Technical Sergeant

Post by flyboy4612 »

I get where CJmodiano is going with his post. The kind of "What if you actually did this wrong for real, how would the airplane react" sort of thing.

I'm curious myself to try flying the C-172 with improper weight and balance. I'm always very careful about this when I fly the C-172 for real but I'd be interested to see how it handles when it's done wrong. And it's not to say any of us would try this and use it as real world fact but it should give us a pretty good idea of what it would look/feel like.
All the best - flyboy4612
CFI

CJmodiano
Airman

Post by CJmodiano »

Exactly, thank you. It helps you answer "what ifs," similar to practicing partial panel approaches. Anything that can help me understand my airplane better is a useful training tool for me, in the air and on the ground. I've never had to start a vapor locked engine, so it would have been cool to practice that, and I'd like to see how the plane would fly with a fouled plug, and so on. This is something I would not do in the real world, purposely taking off with an under powered engine.. I don't know why the thought was so shocking to people. This forum is called "C171 Trainer." I only mentioned a future goal of becoming a CFI as giving a further reason for me to want to understand my plane as well as possibly.

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

CJmodiano wrote:I'm just wondering how deep the simulation goes with certain aspects of the airplane. I'm hoping this airplane will be a good training tool not only for flying, but also for other important procedures like starting a flooded or vapor locked engine. Can I purposely flood an engine in this plane, and then get it started with the modified starting procedure? How about the mag check... I skip a lot of stuff on the checklists when I sim fly, because I know the mags will be absolutely fine, but with this A2A aircraft, can I foul the plugs if I never lean in the climb, or taxi around at full rich on a 105 degree day? These are the types of things that I'm hoping for that will make this the ultimate training tool for myself, being a real pilot and future CFI in a 172R and SP.
In the training video, Scott shows plug fouling can occur. This is something they planned to add, and with the support
from Champion (real spark plug maker) they have added it, along with the Massive and Fine variants of plugs, and yes
they can be fouled. Don't know about vapour lock.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”