Knots2U Sponsors the A2A Accu-Sim C172 Trainer

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
User avatar
Paul K
Technical Sergeant
Posts: 961
Joined: 20 Jun 2010
Location: Norwich U.K.

Re: Knots2U Sponsors the A2A Accu-Sim C172 Trainer

Post Paul K »

Pistonpilot wrote:
Having the choice would allow those conducting real-world training in a 172 to choose the option if their real-world 172 has the option. I've never flown (or even seen) a 172 with these fairings, so, it'd stand to reason I might want to fly without them for consistency's sake.

Personally, I like the idea of being able to customize my fantasy 172 in FSX however I like, whether or not any given option provides the 'best' performance. Makes it seem more like it's MY airplane, y'know?

Just my thoughts on the matter. :)

-Ian C
Yep I see what you mean Ian, good points.

User avatar
CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant
Posts: 2221
Joined: 03 Mar 2008
Location: Wichita Falls, Texas, USA

Re: Knots2U Sponsors the A2A Accu-Sim C172 Trainer

Post CAPFlyer »

Paul K wrote:
molleh wrote:Why does it require a "disadvantage" to be a valid option? The point is to give the user more of the feel of owning an airplane and some of the many real options for modifications/improvements that are out there.
I take your point, but I assumed that since they could be fitted and then removed, there must be some disadvantage in having them fitted. Otherwise, why have the choice ?
The "disadvantage" is that with a training airplane it is one more thing that might break or someone might not handle properly. Also, I can't find any documentation on whether it is hinged where it can be opened to look at the flap tracks and linkages, something that you need to do frequently on a training airplane, meaning you might need to remove them often and that wears out threads.

There is also the cost ($550) which while not expensive compared to the plane itself, you also have to add in the additional maintenance costs during the annual as these must be inspected and it's improvement (4 knots) isn't significant unless you're doing a lot of cruising.

Also, most modifications have to be removable when they cover something like flaps since you must access the equipment underneath for maintenance. Wheel pants, cowlings, etc, are all "easily" removable. ;)

The inspection factor is also why many flight training schools remove the wheel pants from their airplanes.
Image

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant
Posts: 3541
Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Location: KCDW

Re: Knots2U Sponsors the A2A Accu-Sim C172 Trainer

Post n421nj »

I guess maybe the weight could be considered a disadvantage depending on how much they weigh. If both together weigh 6lbs or greater then that's at least 1 less gallon of fuel less you can carry. Plus once you get all your weight and balance numbers maybe it comes down to having to take 1 less passenger or less fuel meaning more pit stops. I guess like everything in life it all depends on personal preference and point of view. Some people may think 1 gallon of gas no big deal while others may think that gallon could be the difference of runway or trees just short of runway. My thoughts are give me as many options as possible and let me decide on a case by case basis what I will use for each flight.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

User avatar
AKar
A2A Mechanic
Posts: 4553
Joined: 26 May 2013

Re: Knots2U Sponsors the A2A Accu-Sim C172 Trainer

Post AKar »

Not that familiar with the exact installation on Cessna 172 (never been really there when installing/removing it), but as you CAPFlyer stated, the main reasons not to have it would probably be the added trouble of removing and reinstalling when/if required. I don't think that the equipment itself is too prone to damage to worry about (never heard any breaking up in about 10 aircraft I knew had them installed), but conditions vary of course. There is a visual inspection every 100 h / annual if I recall, nothing much to worry about costwise, and some minor paperwork when installing. Concerning the weight, it wasn't much, and I'd argue that the aerodynamic benefits, if as advertised, offset some if not most of the weight capacity lost.

Of all the various "speed kits" on market, the only ones that for me personally have been an annoyance are the flap and aileron hinge covers for Pipers. At least some of those are a surprisingly time consuming to remove and install during maintenance, tend to break easily and I've also seen some tendency on the bonding wire of the control surface getting in between the hinge and the cover causing some minor abrasion on both.
Let me imagine what is impossible - and then do it.

User avatar
Neon
Technical Sergeant
Posts: 516
Joined: 20 Mar 2012
Location: Adelaide Australia
Contact:

Re: Knots2U Sponsors the A2A Accu-Sim C172 Trainer

Post Neon »

alehead wrote:Wow... What attention to detail we are seeing here. I never thought of FSX being such an advertising platform.
Certainly a novel idea involving companies in the process.
Why does this surprise you? This is A2A after all, they are all about innovative ideas :D
However you are right, it is a good idea, and anything that is good for A2A is good for us :D

User avatar
Neon
Technical Sergeant
Posts: 516
Joined: 20 Mar 2012
Location: Adelaide Australia
Contact:

Re: Knots2U Sponsors the A2A Accu-Sim C172 Trainer

Post Neon »

Pistonpilot wrote:
Paul K wrote:why have the choice ?
Having the choice would allow those conducting real-world training in a 172 to choose the option if their real-world 172 has the option. I've never flown (or even seen) a 172 with these fairings, so, it'd stand to reason I might want to fly without them for consistency's sake.

Personally, I like the idea of being able to customize my fantasy 172 in FSX however I like, whether or not any given option provides the 'best' performance. Makes it seem more like it's MY airplane, y'know?
On top of that, when have we EVER had an option to customise a plane in FSX??? Aside from skins, there is
no other product out there that allows this sort of fidelity to the real thing. :)

sioux565
Airman First Class
Posts: 73
Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Knots2U Sponsors the A2A Accu-Sim C172 Trainer

Post sioux565 »

Paul K wrote:Okay, the flap gap seals are an option, and from what I can tell, they reduce drag - who would not want that ? But surely there has to be a disadvantage to fitting them ( weight maybe ? ) otherwise its a pointless option.
Initial cost and they most likely make doing inspections on the flaps more time consuming.
Pistonpilot wrote:
Paul K wrote:why have the choice ?
Having the choice would allow those conducting real-world training in a 172 to choose the option if their real-world 172 has the option. I've never flown (or even seen) a 172 with these fairings, so, it'd stand to reason I might want to fly without them for consistency's sake.

Personally, I like the idea of being able to customize my fantasy 172 in FSX however I like, whether or not any given option provides the 'best' performance. Makes it seem more like it's MY airplane, y'know?

Just my thoughts on the matter. :)

-Ian C
Being able to make it "your" airplane is a great thing!

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests