C127 tends to pull to the left as I climb after takeoff

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
Prep2021
Airman Basic

C127 tends to pull to the left as I climb after takeoff

Post by Prep2021 »

Can someone tell me why my C172 all of a sudden tends to pull to the left as I climb after take off? It's hard to make a stable climb, as I need to pull the joystick back to the right continuously. I can't remember the aircraft doing this last week, I wonder if I am doing something wrong, but what?

Also (separate but related question): what's the best key / command to assign to the pitch trim? As I climb and then during cruise, with pitch trim assigned to either my joystick's wheel or to 2 keys on the keyboard (separate tries) I can't seem to be able to stabilize the plane, which pitches up or down too slow or too fast, even when I select a notch at a time, requiring me to keep chasing the needle to adjust the pitch in the opposite direction. This, as I fly in perfect weather with light, or no wind. The host platform I use is Prepar3d v5.3 and the joystick I use is a Verpil Constellation Alpha. I wonder if I am doing something incorrectly here...

I need to select AP and then "Roll" to find stability.

Many thanks!

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: C127 tends to pull to the left as I climb after takeoff

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Prep2021.
More info would help A2A and community to help you .
1/ have you checked your fuel , as imbalance of fuel can be one cause also check fuel selector , to see if on L/R or both
2/ have you checked the hanger for any worn or damaged components that need fixing
3/ how do you have your controls set up , is it throught FSUIPC free or payed or direct through sim
4/ have any updates been installed recently that might be causing issue
5/ have you installed any addons to sim recently
6/ do any other aircraft behave in a similar way , incase your controller as developed an issue.
regards Alan. 8)

Prep2021
Airman Basic

Post by Prep2021 »

Hey Alan,

1 and 2 - No fuel imbalance, or worn / damaged components on the Cessna.

3 - I do not use FSUIPC, I connect my hardware directly thru the sim. Verpil has its own software for setting up / calibrating each device (including all buttons / switches / knobs located on the joystick and throttle box), and everything looks 'ok' in their tester application.

4 and 5 - I have not installed any updates or addons lately. I use Prepar3d pretty much vanilla, except for Orbx basic software for trees, buildings, vectors, land class.

6/ I know that no aircraft that I use in MSFS 2020, X-Plane, Prepar3d (GA aircraft or airliners) or DCS gives me the issue of this pronounced pull / roll to the left. W/regard to the pitch trim, I can only guess (?) that perhaps the trim wheel on my joystick was not designed particularly for any of these 'civ' aircraft sims but was designed with focus on DCS aircraft (it's possible...); however, why is the issue with the pitch trim happening with the keyboard and not just with the joystick?

Thanks for your reply. I'll check all platforms again, just in case I missed something.

maddz
Senior Airman

Post by maddz »

Well, I haven’t even switched my sim pc on for 2 years :( but memory is asking if you are flying alone? If you are, then there is a weight imbalance, IE you,the pilot. Add a passenger of the same weight.
This can also be caused by the torque from the prop and will dissipate as airspeed increases, a little rudder input can help during slow speeds.
Hope it helps

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Go into your sim settings (Realism) and bring back the left turning forces sliders and see if that helps.
Dudley Henriques

Prep2021
Airman Basic

Post by Prep2021 »

Thanks everyone for the good suggestions. I am testing all of them :D

Prep2021
Airman Basic

Post by Prep2021 »

...after much testing, I discovered that the issue was the rudder. I started testing with the ailerons (my first guess) and then moved to the rudder and that's when I found out that I needed to stabilize the plane by controlling the rudder during flight. I am now stable and learnt something new about this aircrcaft in the meantime. Happy flying!

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

When one is learning to fly prop driven aircraft the instructor will frequently announce, "more right rudder!". That is until one is proficient. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzxt2SzOsAY
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Oracle427 wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 14:19 When one is learning to fly prop driven aircraft the instructor will frequently announce, "more right rudder!". That is until one is proficient. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzxt2SzOsAY
....................unless one is checking out in a Zlin or a Griffon Spitfire. In that case it's " More LEFT rudder".
Don't mind me. I'm just feeling ornery this afternoon. :-))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Dudley

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Hi Dudley,

I have the chance to check out in a Chipmunk near me once the weather warms up. I assume that one also exhibits a right turning tendency? I was trying to wrap my mind around the backwards engine controls when I first inspected the cockpit. I wish I could say Spitfire! :)

I did fly a Zlin 242 once, but I think it had a Lycoming in it.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Oracle427 wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 16:32 Hi Dudley,

I have the chance to check out in a Chipmunk near me once the weather warms up. I assume that one also exhibits a right turning tendency? I was trying to wrap my mind around the backwards engine controls when I first inspected the cockpit. I wish I could say Spitfire! :)

I did fly a Zlin 242 once, but I think it had a Lycoming in it.
LOL. First time I flew a Zlin it took a few trips around the patch to get used to it. It was especially noticeable in rolls.
I think the most unusual feeling for me was flying a Luscombe for the first time with the stick in my left hand.
D

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

If i fly the 172 with just the pilot, in the cruise phase i just burn my left tank until the plane flies straight and then set to both. All controls can then be centralized, minus small corrections for wind and turbulence of course. In the climb right rudder of course :) realism at full.

adaniel
Airman Basic

Post by adaniel »

I have had your C182 for several years, and I flew it alot before. But for the last 12-18 months I have not flown it at all. Two days ago I bought also C172 trainer. When I had my first flight I crashed because the airplane rolled to the left in lift off. I tried several flights ,all with the same rolling tendency, but I managed to get airborn. Then I tried a flight with the C182, and I experienced the same left rolling as with the C172. When I flew it last time it was not there. I have checked all my controllers and recalibrated, and checked for fuel and load imbalance, but I can not find any failure. I have also checked the maintenance hangar.
I use P3d v 5.3 HF 2 and I have yoke, MFG rudder pedals and Bravo throttle quadrant. I have also another problem, with the Mixture controller. It only moves half the way it shall, on both aircrafts, so I can not stop the engine by pulling the controller. On other aircrafts in the sim it moves like it shall. I have had a PPL A and flown both C172 and 182, but I have never experience such rolling tendency in take offs in real life. Can you give me some advice what to do?
Tor Arild Danielsen

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Tor Arild and welcome to the A2A forums.

Thanks for the detailed info. I think it may help to look a little closer at checking your control inputs though, as it's possible there's some sort of control conflict. Once we've definitely ruled that ourt we can look at the actual control inputs you're making, and whether you're using enough right rudder input to counteract the left rolling tendency.

Please can you just confirm that you've checked every single axis, in particular the rudder pedals and toe brakes, as by default I think the sim will tend to assign toe brake axes to primary flight controls. Also, could you let us know how you're assigning these controller: is it within P3D itself, or via another piece of software such as FSUIPC?

Similarly, for the mixture axis, please can you let us know the exact name of the function you're using and whether this is in P3Dv5 or via external software.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

adaniel
Airman Basic

Post by adaniel »

Thank you for your response. I will try to explain what I have done. Yesterday I deleted and reassigned my yoke in the sim, and in FSUIPC with no difference results for the left roll.Today I have done a lot of testing, and I have solved the mixture problem by assigning mixture through the sim instead of FSUIPC. In the beginning I had my MFG pedals assigned in the sim ,and calibrated through its program MFG 2.15. and my Honeycomb Bravo throttle assigned and calibrated in the sim. First I deleted all assignments and calibration on the rudder pedals and throttle. Then I assigned and calibrated both in the sim without MFG software 2.15. When I testfly both C172 and C182, they had problems with the Throttle axis. The throttle was chopping, but the mixture and prop axis was ok. The rudder pedals seemed also to be ok. But the aircraft was still rolling to the left at lift off.
The next was to delete all the assignments and calibration, and do it all through FSUIPC.I could not see any difference for the rudder pedals and brakes. This time the throttle axis was smooth, and no chopping. But both the prop and mixture axis had limited movement. When I testfly it was a little less rolling tendency, but it was still there.
No I have my rudder pedals and throttle axis assigned in FSUIPC, and the prop and mixture axis assigned in the sim, and I think it it the best I can achieve.(I have also been flying a Reims C172 N today in real life, with almost no left rolling tendency in lift off.)
The strange thing for me is that this left rolling has not been there before, in earlier versions of the sim. My computer is 7 years old, but it has I7 6700 CPU, GTX 1080Ti GPU and 32 GB Ram.
Tor Arild

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”