Oeffag D.III update informations

The Austro-Hungarian Empire's finest scout
lucas
Staff Sergeant

Post by lucas »

Greetings all,

Sorry that I was not very active for the last weeks, but I was working on the future update for the Oeffag. This would not be possible without the help of John Cagle, who is an expert regarding flight engineering and FS. He made many adjustments by himself and also provided me a lots of informations regarding advanced fd tweaking. Iam very happy with the results, because the general "feel" changed a lot Also, Tom, built a beautiful ASI gauge which will be installed on the wing strut. I also included suggestions posted by whiic regarding the propeller inertia.
The update will contain the following fixes:

- totally reworked flight dynamics
- better spin behaviour
- better stall behaviour
- better propeller behaviour (rapid rpm increase when diving with the full throttle, etc.)
- ability to overrev the engine
- reworked control responses and drag
- ASI gauge mounted on the wing strut
- new external camera views

Here are some screenshots which include the ASI.

Enjoy,
Lucas

Shousa
Senior Airman

Re: Oeffag D.III update informations

Post by Shousa »

These changes sound very promising.

Does that mean it will really spin, as in keep spinning and crash into the ground unless you do something, rather than maybe 4 revolutions (spins) and back to normal without any control input ?

lucas
Staff Sergeant

Post by lucas »

No, she will spin once you will cross your controls, but the behaviour will be much better than in the release version. Also, keep in mind that the Albies were generally easy to fly.

Lucas

Shousa
Senior Airman

Post by Shousa »

In ROF the Albatros keeps spinning....that is why I asked.

I would have been really surprised if it did since almost nothing spins and stalls properly in FSX other than accusim planes and a tiny handful of others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQob_r1i4vc

trawny
Airman

Post by trawny »

Sounds great, keep up the good work

spadjockey
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by spadjockey »

:roll:
IT WOULD BE NICE TO SEE ONE DRESSED UP WITH THE SILVER NOSE CONE. I HAVE HAD SEVERAL PILOTS ASK IF YOU WERE GOING TO DO THAT.
SPAD

lucas
Staff Sergeant

Post by lucas »

Shousa wrote:In ROF the Albatros keeps spinning....that is why I asked.

I would have been really surprised if it did since almost nothing spins and stalls properly in FSX other than accusim planes and a tiny handful of others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQob_r1i4vc
Yes, it is very difficult to replicate that effect and I really love what was achieved by John. Spins are not such important, IMHO. The general "feel" of the plane is completly different, due to the revised control responses. Propeller work is outstanding. If you own A2A Piper Cub or you fly the Spit Mk.I with fixed pitch prop, you will know what Iam talking about :)
RoF Albatroses are very safe planes and are very easy to fly and handle. It is very difficult to fall in spin flying one of those. The easiest way is to stall and cross the controls.

@SPAD, I am afraid that no additional model versions will be released. We wanted to build the 253 series. Besides that, this one is an Austrian licensed version, not an original Albatros D-class made by the German engineers.

Lucas

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

The screenshots look great! This sounds like a wonderful update, thanks for the hard work.
-mike

whiic
Staff Sergeant

Post by whiic »

Looks promising. Is there a planned release date for the update? Any beta?

I hope the super-efficiency of the rudder would also be history. Also, better prop behaviour incl. overrrevving at dives if throttle is not reduced is welcome. I have to admit I haven't even started making the RealEngine module (procrastinating by procrastination, lol) for Albatros but with engine overrevving tendency increase, an engine damage mod might be more worthy of making because risk of mishandling it is increased. It's just that I still haven't found the newest RealEngine module and I'd rather not use something ancient as RealEngine v1.0 for it.

lucas
Staff Sergeant

Post by lucas »

Hello,

first of all, I'd like to apologise for such a late reply. I am very, very busy in the R/L job and have no time for our beloved hobby :( Hopefully, I will have more free time once the year will end.
I can say that the rudder is sensitive but after some discussions I think that it should be done this way. Rudder was a very important in the early planes and many of the maneovers had to be supported by it. As I wrote some time ago, I want this plane to be fully aerobatic and it should perform all the vertical maneouvers.
As for the propeller, John made an incredible job, imho. You can easily overrev the prop flying with the full throttle (and with the reduced one as well, but after some longer time)

Finally, speaking of the update, I have everything done except of a good code for the ASI spinner. Once it will be done, the package can be tested and hopefully released soon after.

Lucas

whiic
Staff Sergeant

Post by whiic »

lucas wrote:I can say that the rudder is sensitive but after some discussions I think that it should be done this way. Rudder was a very important in the early planes and many of the maneovers had to be supported by it. As I wrote some time ago, I want this plane to be fully aerobatic and it should perform all the vertical maneouvers.
Could the rudder be made effective when on full thrusts, and ineffective when at idle power? Most of the aerobatics are probably engine power assisted, after all. And ground control should require some throttle (which obviously is unwanted to get the plane to slow down without brakes).

About RealEngine module, user "teson1" came to the BF-109E subforum hinting that he has released RealEngine v1.4. Seems like the development hadn't silently ceased and got forgotten. I'll probably make that RealEngine module for Albatros after all, now that I have something more recent than 1.0 or 1.1. Since it's mainly ease of use that has improved over time, I'd rather not have wasted my time on some ancient RE version.
lucas wrote:Finally, speaking of the update, I have everything done except of a good code for the ASI spinner. Once it will be done, the package can be tested and hopefully released soon after.
Can you make the ASI to read wind from ANY direction, as that spinner is clearly ignorant of direction of airflow (unlike a pitot tube)... at least as long as it's "horizontal" or perpendicular to plane's yaw axis, to be specific. Tailwinds (negative forward speed) while stationary on the ground, and sideslip speeds as well. I know this wouldn't really have much effect as that ASI is located in rather inconvenient place and probably not looked by the pilot while doing maneuvers that have high slip component.

Vaga
Airman

Post by Vaga »

Any news on when we can get this update?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

lucas
Staff Sergeant

Post by lucas »

I will try to work with Rob on the code. The rest is done and ready for some testing.
Sorry for the delay, Gents.
Lucas

Vaga
Airman

Post by Vaga »

lucas wrote:I will try to work with Rob on the code. The rest is done and ready for some testing.
Sorry for the delay, Gents.
Lucas
If you need any help with XML code or testing let me know. I'm not the fastest coder ond mostly try to fix broken code like the DC-3 for the fuel tanks.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

lucas
Staff Sergeant

Post by lucas »

Finally had a session with Rob, so please expect the things to move faster.
My apologies for such a huge delay between the announcement and my post. I thought that it will take less time. Sadly, R/L kept me from our passion for a long time. Sorry.

Lucas

new reply

Return to “Albatros D.III (Oeffag)”