Call for 3D Modellers !

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
Osram
BDG & A2A

Call for 3D Modellers !

Post by Osram »

We have finally reached a stage where we can ask for new 3D modellers and be sure we won't waste their time.
You will find the requirements from the game engine in the next post below so that you can either start striaght away creating a model or have a look at an existing model you would like to convert into the Merlin engine.
Obviously we would like to start with models that fit a BoB environment. Later on we can go forward or backwards in time and add new theaters like Malta or Poland.
However for now we have to make sure a new object will not overstress our support. For example if someone wants to use *.X files generated indirectly by gMax that is a good step forward for us as many people will need it. However if he would at the same time like to have an aircraft with 4 completely independant engines, 8 gun stations, a Norden bombsight and use radio controlled gliding bombs, then we would neither be able to implement all those requests into the game engine in the short term nor would it be a very efficient use of our time in expanding the game engine.

Here are some ideas :

Ground objects:
- bridges
- generic buildings
- German beach defenses
- German railgun "station" (big job!)
- German and British railways
- Starter trolley
- Game of cricket
- Observer Corps Station
- Spot lights
- Calibration stand

Vehicles:
- Ships
- bicycles
- armoured cars for British airfields (for example Rolce Royce)
- Dorchester (very easy model for a beginner)

Airplanes (no specific order):
- Any cockpit for an existing plane, IOW Do17, Ju88, He111, Defiant, Blenheim I
- Blenheim I
- Whitley
- Hawker Hart
- FW 58 Weihe
- Ar 196
- He 115
- He 59
- B 25
- Blackburn Roc
- Bloch MB155
- Bücker 131/181
- BV 138
- Dewoitine 520
- Do 18
- Fairey Swordfish
- Fokker D XXI
- Fokker G 1
- Fokker T VIII-W
- FW 44 Steiglitz
- Hampden
- Ju G 38
- Ju 86
- Klemm (all types)
- Me 108
- SG 38 / grasshopper
- Siebel 104
- Westland Whirlwind

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

Here are the requirements a model needs to fulfil before one can import it into the Merlin engine. This text is a summary so modellers can quickly check whether for example an existing model would need much rework or already fits most requirements. The SDK comes with a bigger, but still Work in Progress documentation. It is still in Beta status. If interested in it, PM me and I will email it to you for testing.

POLY COUNT
==========

Maximum allowed poly count depends on several things. If there is only one object (of the type) on screen at once (at least in high LoDs) then a poly count up to about 40,000 is

admissible. A RAF rescue launch, for example, might have a high poly count LoD for an animation after being shot down.

For the 'core' models (aircraft) up to 30,000 (40,000 for multi engine birds) are possible in a 'very near LoD'.
Buildings should have as few as possible to get the job done. While, theoretically, a lighthouse in the sea might be pretty alone on screen, buildings should not have more than

5000 polys for very complex shapes that are very important (for example very well known) and that are not surrounded by many other buildings. A Mediterranean house with a flat

roof can be done with as little as 5 rectangles i.e. 10 triangles.
Vehicles and AA guns etc. that can be found on airfields or may be targets can have up to about 10,000 polys. Again, simple objects should be done with fewer polys, for example

an ammo box should have 5 rectangles. Polys are one-sided.

Vertex count of the main LoD should be below 64k (65535).

LoDs
====

Good LoDs are one of the most important aspects. The 'lower' LoDs and good switching of LoDs is at least as important as the main model. However, it is difficult to put into

numbers. The three requirements are:
• LoD switches are hard to see.
• Even at distance the model looks good.
• The poly count reduces as quickly as possible when going to longer distances.

Typical poly counts might be:

LoD 1: 25,000
LoD 2: 8,000
LoD 3: 2,000
LoD 4: 400
LoD 5: 80
LoD 6: 6
LoD 8: 0 (a dot only)
The dot only one will be generated automatically.

ANIMATION HIERARCHY
====================

The object should have a hierarchy, for example, the wheels may be attached to the oleo legs. The names in the hierarchy should make logical sense, for example, 'lwheel' for the

left wheel. Every animated part, for example, a flap, has to be modelled as one node in the hierarchy. A pivot may be set. Animations use keyframes. For linear motion
(canopy slide, gear syspension), one keyframe at each "endstop" is enough, but for rotations use one keyframe for ech 10 degrees at least!

The "driection" the animation should take is:
frame 0 to frame n:
gear extended - retracted
flap down - up
elevator down - up
rudder left - right
right aileron down - up (left reversed)
wheel roll forward
gear suspension probably uncompressed - compressed
canopy closed - open

DM HIERARCHY
============

The Dm has some influence on the hierachy, for example you should have 4 wing parts, 2 elevator parts (left and right) etc.
The easiest way is to first UV map and then "cut" the airplane up according to an exisintg plane. See the commented list in the full 3D docs.

TEXTURE MAPPING
===============
Every part should be UV mapped, if only to give the skinner the choice to change a colour.
The fewer textures there are, the better the FPS in game. For example, we actually have one texture (village1.dds IIRC) that is shared by all village objects. For an aircraft

you would normally have two textures only – one large opaque one (say 2k x 2k )and a texture with an alpha channel for items like the canopy. For good FPS it is very important

that as few polys as possible use a texture with a 'smooth' (256 value) alpha channel ! The reason is that these polys need to be sorted by depth.

Textures
The in game texture cannot have layers and should be in DDS format. Emblems, unit letters, etc. should not be part of the texture.
The resolution of the final file always has to be a power of 2 (1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096 etc.) The Merlin engine supports rectangular textures

(for example 16 x 256 texels). Use the subformats DXT1 for opaque and DXT5 for smooth alfa textures.

Position in the World
======================
Scale is 1 unit = 1 meter. The object should be roughly centred around the origin. Planes can use the centre of gravity as the origin. Cockpits have to use the eyepoint of the pilot as the origin. Positive Y axis goes forward, positive X right and positive Z up.

File Format
===========
It is untested, but we want to be able to convert virtually any 3D file format:
.x - Recommended. Microsoft's DirectX format.
.3ds - 3DS is a format created by the 3D Studio developers.
.ac - Produced by the 3D modelling program AC3D.
.ase - This is the recommended format and can be produced by a number of modelling programs
.flt - Produced by professional modelling applications.
.obj - A simple but robust format.
.ssg - The native format of the Pretty Poly Editor or rather of the underlying library 'PLIB'.
.vrml - VRML1 or IV supported.

borton
BDG

Post by borton »

Post removed
Last edited by borton on 29 Feb 2008, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

So, GMax is the modeling software of choice then Osram?
Snuffy

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

"Of choice"- I would say 3DS Max and Blender.
But if someone comes along with gMax models, we will not turn him away.

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

Osram wrote:"Of choice"- I would say 3DS Max and Blender.
Don't GMax either as yet ... I was just making sure.

Anyone know if I can take AutoCAD 2008 solids and convert them to 3DS Max models?
Snuffy

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

gMax is on purpose very limited on import and export.

After all, had they shipped a clone of 3DS Max for free, they would have lost the ability to make profit. The idea behind gMax is that modders don't have enough money to buy Max (IIRC $4000), but companies can cough up a lot. So, companies pay them for the so called gamepack, which makes gMax usable for a specific game, like MSFS. The price per game is roughly 100 000. Rumors said there is no reduced price for several game, so MS must have paid n * 100 000. OTOH if you read the license of gMax, it is surprisingly "liberal". I am not sure that is on purpose.

Rummy
BDG

Post by Rummy »

Snuffy_Hadden wrote:
Osram wrote:"Of choice"- I would say 3DS Max and Blender.
Don't GMax either as yet ... I was just making sure.

Anyone know if I can take AutoCAD 2008 solids and convert them to 3DS Max models?
Blender will import a .dxf file (if I recall this is a cad file extension), Max may require a plugin so can probably do so with it as well. However, the model will still need to be edited inside one of these modeling packages before importing into game. Grab blender it is free and try importing something as a test before you get too far. It may be easier to just learn Blender and start fresh. If you've never used it you are actually better off with out the interface bias.

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

Actually all my experience is in the 3D world using AutoCAD 2008 solids.

The problem is going to come in trying to learn a new set of commands for a new tool.
Snuffy

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

The Blender interface is a little 'unusual' after working in ACAD (I have used both) but in a very short space of time it becomes very intuitive and is very cleverly laid out IMHO.
Larry
E8400 Core2Duo 3 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GTX460 (1 Gb), Realtek HD O/B audio, XP Pro (SP3)
Saitek X52 HOTAS, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TIR 5 Pro, LG 22" WS LCD, B-K Gamer

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

Also keep in mind you want to use a modeller and not a CAD program. While similar, they are different. A modeller creates models to look at, a CAD creates models to produce, to calculate the CoG and volume of, etc.

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Hey, CoG is a useful item to know for an aircraft model. I would guess it is not always to be found in reference materials. ...of course, a CAD model would have to be incredibly accurate for use in computing CoG.

...I'm using ACad 2002 these days, just for inspecting drawings. I hate using it to create stuff. I am not aware that it has any capability to compute CoG, let alone for multiple density material models; but then I don't have to know much about it. The old versions I used to use back in the DOS days certainly didn't have anything like that functionality.

Trumper
BDG

Post by Trumper »

:) Has this appeal been posted on other aviation forums or is it for this forum only?
I wonder if the folks on the il forums http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=frm&s ... f=23110283

Sim Hq

http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

Airwarfare http://airwarfare.com/phpBB2/index.php? ... 1db4d591a7

plus any others would be interested. :?:

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

PV,

The latest edition of AutoCAD plain vanilla has the abilitiy to assign material densities, as well as compute CoG for soilids it creates.

It also now incoroprates as commands, LOFT, and HELIX. Both of these commands are something I've been wanting from AutoDESK for a long time. With Loft you can now project solids to two different poly lines and create transitions and the like from squares, rectangles, circles, and ellipses. Helix will now generate a true 3D screw. I've used helix to generate blades for screw conveyors and to create a 3D sprial helix to create circular stairs with.

I agree Osram. My problem is I would be far too detail attentive, as I am in my mechanical engineering. I would love to get my hands on a set of B-17 blueprints from Boeing and construct a full blown 3D solids model of it.
I've tried a couple of other modeling programs and it was either them or me, I'm not sure but I just couldn't seem to function "mechanically" in them.

I'm not beyond not giving it a try though, and I haven't given up. I'd love to be able to create things like 3D target sights and the like. You know, things like refineries, rail heads, bridges, etc. My mechanical mindset would have a blast generating this stuff.
Snuffy

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Oooh. This reminds me of a quote I snagged from an email conversation last week, and have been meaning to post here:
A good example of speculation in land was London's Battersea
Power Station site with four enormous smokestacks that could
be seen all over South London. They were probably a good
landmark for German bombers. The utility was closed in 1982
and its 32 acre site lay derelict.
Sounds like a great project for someone, eh? Should be fairly simple, too.

I'm pretty sure this is the building on the Pink Floyd album cover whose name I've forgotten. Welcome To the Machine, perhaps.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”