Bloody h*ll!

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
hiz
Senior Airman

Bloody h*ll!

Post by hiz »

Just bought a new rig. Intel Core 2 Duo 4600 2,4 GHz with my old ATI 1900GT 256 MB. And it still can't take inclement weather! My avg fps is around 20. Just out of curiosity, did you blokes who run this thing with inclement weather get your rigs from NASA...? :D

Well, otherwise I'm happy as can be. About time to get rid of that old AMD +3500. May she rest in peace.
Cptn Hasse Wind's Pilot logbook entry, test flight after engine repair, June 26th 1944:

"Engine was fine. Downed three Yak 9's".

GlobalExplorer
Airman First Class

Post by GlobalExplorer »

I am sure you will be more than happy once you install a new graphics card as well.

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Just for comparison, on my rig (below) with inclement weather, Turkey Shoot IA mission, I get about 33 average.

The other setting are also important and there are so many including AA and Ansio filtering.

Play around with it and you will see (my settings are maxed out).

Nice PC. BOBII loves new processors as it basicly a processor bound game. BOBII should love it.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

I think 20FPS is a perfectly respectable rate for inclement. i think you will notice that empirically, it is smooth enough. That's all that matters.

hiz
Senior Airman

Post by hiz »

Thanks Buddye, it's reassuring to know that inclement weather REALLY eats cpu power and that it's a handful for even stronger machines. :D

I agree with you PV, twenty probably would do it. At the moment the problem is that fps moves pretty rapidly between 13 and 35 with some peaks above 70. I have to check that I haven't lost the "smoothen" setting in the bdg.txt.

Well, just to be able to fly in medium weather brings a lot to the experience. The old machine couldn't handle that.

Btw, tried the new sounds for the first time yesterday. Great job (or should I say "good show")!
Cptn Hasse Wind's Pilot logbook entry, test flight after engine repair, June 26th 1944:

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

The key in BOBII is the minimum number.

Start the FPS count (Shift-F) and just forget it. After the mission and before you Alt+X look at the minimum and just record the Mission and the Minimum.

If the Minimun is in the range (10-19) or higher you are OK, IMHO. If the Minimum is say 1,2,3 then you have hit a bottleneck during the mission and it is likely processor CPU (if you have a strong video card). If you have a weak video card it could be either video or CPU.

On my PC, in large battles it is very smooth but I still have minimums in the 1,2,3. BOBII is a very demanding game (much more than IL2 although on 4.09 in the new Slovakia map with the new distance settings in perfect I get studder down low) for any processor and processor delays will/do cause you to see issues (at least sometimes).
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

hiz
Senior Airman

Post by hiz »

For some reason the "smoothen" setting had vanished from the bdg.txt. Now I'm playing Take Off mission with inclement weather set on medium and getting around 45 avg fps. That's plenty for me! Just can't do it with weather set high, but I'm willing to give it another year or two. :wink: You'll always have processor delays, that's no problem.

Oh. talking about Il-2, I noticed there is a water setting 4. Sweet!

hiz
Senior Airman

Post by hiz »

GlobalExplorer wrote:I am sure you will be more than happy once you install a new graphics card as well.
After giving this some thought, do you guys think I would gain any significant improvement with, let's say, nVidia 8800GT 512MB, given my other specs? Any experience with this card otherwise?

ReFLeX
BDG

Post by ReFLeX »

Yes hiz, the gt would be quite an improvement.. Especially if your motherboard had the newer pci-e 2.0 spec. I get averages above 65fps with everything set to full..

hiz
Senior Airman

Post by hiz »

ReFLeX wrote:Yes hiz, the gt would be quite an improvement.. Especially if your motherboard had the newer pci-e 2.0 spec. I get averages above 65fps with everything set to full..
Thanks for the information ReFLeX! What kind of a cpu do you have?

hiz
Senior Airman

Post by hiz »

Well, done did it this time! I went to a shop and picked up an Asus EN8800GT. Let's see what happens! :D

hiz
Senior Airman

Post by hiz »

Oookay... continuing my monologue. :D Installed the 8800GT (it has a HUGE fan I haven't seen in the pics on the web sites, btw...). It was definitely the video card! Now I'm getting beyond one hundred avg fps with weather low on 12 vs 12 and on Turkey Shoot with inclement weather, weather high, 42 avg. I took ansio down to 4x not to push my luck...

One thing, btw: It is A LOT harder to dogfight in inclement weather when you don't know which way is up and which is down! But it also makes it so much more fun!!

Thanks for the tips guys! This is America! (an old Finnish saying from the early 20th century) :lol:

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Yes, you freed up the video bottleneck for inclement.

Very nice PC. BOBII should really love it.
Buddye

ReFLeX
BDG

Post by ReFLeX »

hiz wrote:
ReFLeX wrote:Yes hiz, the gt would be quite an improvement.. Especially if your motherboard had the newer pci-e 2.0 spec. I get averages above 65fps with everything set to full..
Thanks for the information ReFLeX! What kind of a cpu do you have?
Intel Core 2 duo e6850

Ahh seems the card did help... Plus Trust me when I say it needs that big fan. I have two GT's one came with the stock fan and heatsink. I have to force the fan at 100% to keep it from overheating..

spitfireace
BDG

Post by spitfireace »

hiz wrote:Oookay... continuing my monologue. :D Installed the 8800GT (it has a HUGE fan I haven't seen in the pics on the web sites, btw...). It was definitely the video card! Now I'm getting beyond one hundred avg fps with weather low on 12 vs 12 and on Turkey Shoot with inclement weather, weather high, 42 avg. I took ansio down to 4x not to push my luck...

One thing, btw: It is A LOT harder to dogfight in inclement weather when you don't know which way is up and which is down! But it also makes it so much more fun!!

Thanks for the tips guys! This is America! (an old Finnish saying from the early 20th century) :lol:
Im feeling what you say about dogfighting with inclement weather and not knowing which way is up or down haha !!!!
Cheers,

Spitfireace

I treasure a remark i made to my grandson who asked "Grandpa were you a hero in the war?" "No" i answered, "But i served in a company of heroes"

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”