Strange "fluttering" effect when shot down

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
TRiPWiRE
Airman Basic

Strange "fluttering" effect when shot down

Post by TRiPWiRE »

First of all I'd like to thank everyone involved in BoBII & the latest 2.07 patch. BoBII is one of the few games that I am still playing after buying it back on release. Well done guys!

One thing I seem to have an issue with is a strange juddering or flickering when I'm shot down. Once my plane heads for the ground the cockpit seems to flicker & jump around. Is there a config file setting or something that I can change to stop or smooth this out?

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Hi Tripwire, welcome to BOBII.

What you are reporting is normal. The sim is simulating the A/C loosing stability and beginning to come apart. You might want to bail out (control+E).

If you do not like the effect switch to external view (F6).

Are you patched up to 2.07?

The after death circling after the crash can be changed in the BDG.txt (located in your BOBII folder) just set No_Spinning_Death=ON.

Take a look at the user manual (300+ pages) which is located in your BOBII folder in the Docs folder. The Bdg.txt is in appendix A.

Also you may want to print the Key description Doc for referrence:

http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... php?t=8331
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

TRiPWiRE
Airman Basic

Post by TRiPWiRE »

PC Specs = AMD 4800X2, 4GB RAM, 8800GTX (Current nVidia drivers as of Monday) on XP Pro

It happens from my (players) perspective. The only real way I can describe it is as though someone is rapidly wiggling the mouse about and the view is "jumping" around. I actually tried unplugging the mouse and playing but still received the same effect.

It happens each time I am shot down. If my pilot survives I can still bail out o.k.

It only seemed to occur after I applied the 2.07 patch & multiskin.

It doesn't get in the way of me enjoying this awesome sim though! :)

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Glad you're enjoying things, Tripwire.

Actually, that feature has been there all along. Can't say it's my favourite thing really, but my best guess has always been that it simulates (loosely) the fact that you are being thrown about.

I read with interest a while back a reference to the fact that in low level missions Typhoon pilots that lost vital plane sections ran the risk of "being shaken to unconsciousness within a few seconds" as the aircraft become completely unflyable and violently unstable. I have subsequently come to the thought that this is what is intended here.
You might not like it, and I personally think it's a little crude, but someone thought it was a good design choice sometime. And it does imply that something has gone catastrophically wrong...... ;)
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

TRiPWiRE
Airman Basic

Post by TRiPWiRE »

Ahh! :D

I seriously don't recall it being something I took a huge amount of notice of beforehand. It did used to "flutter" a bit but it seems to be increased since the 2.07 patch. Maybe I'm imagining things!

Usually by the time I'm in that sort of state I'm grabbing the canopy release and bailing anyway!

Speaking of bailing - is there a certain percentage of times that chutes fail? I've gone splatt many a time & wondered if this was something that the actual pilots encountered as regularly as this?

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

It's an airspeed and randomness thing, I think.

Hauls me up every time, though. Good men died this way. And plenty of them.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

The code is set at a 1 in 8 (12.5% chance the chute will fail) controlled with a random number. It has always been that way since BOBI.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

jwenting
Airman First Class

Post by jwenting »

and yes, chute failure happened.
Maybe not 1 in 8, but it did happen (and still happens, my mother was in a clinic learning to walk in 2002 where she met a guy whose chute had failed at something like 5000ft (not a pilot, he jumped for fun).
He miraculously survived but broke just about every bone in his body in the process.

Chutes of WW2 (and no doubt other military) pilots failed not just from poor packing, but they could be damaged by shrapnel or fire, and some German and Japanese pilots shot at bailing pilots to prevent them from returning to service in a fresh aircraft.

Heini
Airman First Class

Post by Heini »

and some German and Japanese pilots shot at bailing pilots to prevent them from returning to service in a fresh aircraft.
As did some other nations pilots ...

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

jwenting wrote:and some German and Japanese pilots shot at bailing pilots to prevent them from returning to service in a fresh aircraft.
mod hat on
There were such claims by all sides during WW2.
mod hat off

whoop whoop wibble weres my dustbin
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”