Finally able to post. Thanks for a great sim.

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
TimTam27
Airman

Finally able to post. Thanks for a great sim.

Post by TimTam27 »

Hello to everyone here.

After ages trying to register I would like to take the opportunity to thank all the guys responsible for BofBII:WOV and ALL the versions. They are obviously doing their very best to make this sim as good as it can be and I for one am grateful to them for all the work they have put in.

I was a long time IL2 guy and hadn't heard many good things about this sim but when the 2.05 patch came out I thought I would give it a try. I have to say I was blown away. This sim is fantastic. For the first time in a CFS I actually feel I am flying about in a real world. Although in some ways IL2 scenery is sharper it just has never felt real to me. Like some sort of strange fantasy world. I can't quite put my finger on it but the BoBII world somehow feels real. The clouds are fantastic and both the water and land, once you are a couple of thousand feet up work very realistically. I feel like I am flying over England.

And it goes without saying that the campaign is magnificent.

Another really nice thing is that the people on this forum are both helpful and nice. None of the nastiness and superior attitudes common on other forums.

And finally, as somebody who is interested in Japanese aircraft I am really looking forward to "Flying Tigers". I am confident the guys developing it will stick to the historical record and provide a realistic aircraft set. No fantasy aircraft and glaring omissions. I will definitely be buying. (I hope my computer will run it)

Kudos to all,
TimTam27

Zorro
Senior Airman

Post by Zorro »

I concurr. This forum, the members are top notch. I am glad there are no riff raff on this forum. One goal, to fly and have fun while re living the past as best possable. I got IL-2, very nice sim, which led me to here. When I tried BOB, it has a lot of personality that draws one in.

heinkill
BDG

Post by heinkill »

Welcome Timbo.

S! (Clinks glass against screen)

I hope you arent going to be one of these namby pamby Spitfire blueboys...plenty of empty Stukas sitting at Calais waiting for a real man to come along!

Get one up there and blow the cr*p out of something British.

8)

Low_Flyer
BDG

Post by Low_Flyer »

Yes welcome gents. :D
Don't listen to heinkill...he'll lure you in with promises of a parade down Whitehall, but it'll end in tears. You mark my words. :wink:

Jimerus
Senior Airman

Post by Jimerus »

He's completely wrong anyway as real men fly Hurricanes. 8)

Chrippa
Airman

Post by Chrippa »

If only the Defiant was flyable - that would really separate the men from the boys. For about 5 seconds anyway, until it's shot down in flames. Does anyone know if there were any Defiant aces? Or who the top scorer was?
'The engine's overheating and so am I. Either we stand down or blow up. Now which do you want?'

stalkervision
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by stalkervision »

Nice to have you on board TimTam27. I agree with everything you say. You will absolutely LOVE the one v one fighting in bob and the historic missions with hundreds and hundreds of planes in the air. Try these first! 8) BTW get to know where your elevator trim is and how to use it,especially on the 109. It is a real must in BOB unlike in a game that will remain nameless. Also these planes will actually stall like the real ones did! :lol:

spitfireace
BDG

Post by spitfireace »

heinkill wrote:Welcome Timbo.

S! (Clinks glass against screen)

I hope you arent going to be one of these namby pamby Spitfire blueboys...plenty of empty Stukas sitting at Calais waiting for a real man to come along!

Get one up there and blow the cr*p out of something British.

8)
Disregard Heinkill comments Timbo, he´s a bit Tipsy, he and Fat Fritz have been having a few beers after a mission.

Join the good ones, and became a Spitfire pilot. You can be my wingman! :wink: :wink:
Cheers,

Spitfireace

I treasure a remark i made to my grandson who asked "Grandpa were you a hero in the war?" "No" i answered, "But i served in a company of heroes"

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Welcome to the Time Machine, TimTam :)

Actually, we're doing some intense testing on the campaign, and one thing I can categorically state is that these settings make a big difference (as you might not be surprised to hear).

LW Skill Modifier MINIMUM->MAXIMUM
RAF Skill Modifier MINIMUM->MAXIMUM
Luftwaffe Tactics HISTORIC/OPTIMUM
Luftwaffe Intell HISTORIC/ACCURATE
Map Plotting ON/OFF
Autovectoring ON/OFF

So it's worth reading up in the manual.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

cvearl
BDG

Post by cvearl »

Nice to have another pilot around. Welcome!

I too have to say as a guy who's played some IL2:Pacific Fighters and most of the old CFS's back into the 90's, this game is great! Even though occasionally you run into a glitch or whatever, you find you will not mind. It's got so much great things that compensate.

I am trying to get around to some Multiplayer on IL2 but I just cant peel myself away from BOB II. It's ALL personality and fun factor. No 2 ways about it.

I just got back from a 4 day camping trip and I found myself wanting to get home to climb into the war room and watch for RAIDs ASAP!

Games normally don't have that effect on me.

C.

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

cvearl wrote: Games normally don't have that effect on me.

C.

Hehe. Six years ago I said that about BoBI. ;)

For some reason it has had me hooked ever since. There is magic in there, created with passion by a very British team, at a time when flight simming was the bee's knees of gaming.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

stalkervision
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by stalkervision »

It is really strange about BOB the way it pulls you in. :) When I got it originally I had so many problems running it I gave up on it and set it aside. Even then something told me to hold on to it for some strange reason. Then I got a new computer with a much better cpu and NO NORTON ANTIVIRUS INSTALLED from the factory. Gave bob a try again for some strange reason. With the 2,5 patch and my new computer it was MUCH better. Now with the 2.6 which you guys did an excellent job on this game is what I always hoped it could be and it just keeps getting better... 8) 8)

Spiny
Airman Basic

Post by Spiny »

Hello all!

Rather than start another 'newbie hello' thread I thought I would just tag along here.

I would also like to re-iterate what TimTam and many others before him have said!

You have turned out a great piece of work chaps! Huge thanks!

Respectful <salute> from

Spiny

JamesB
BDG

Post by JamesB »

Thank you, it is our motivation. We are mostly history nuts with a fair bit of engineer and petrol head mixed in. I still love it after six years!

greyeagle
Airman

Post by greyeagle »

Hi All,
being a newbie myself,I also thought I would say a big thanks for this sim.
Bought this back in 05,loved it then,but oh the glitches.
After 2.06,i've played nothing but THIS!!
feels more like youre there,if you haven't got a trackir..GET ONE.You would not believe how much it changes a sim.
I grew up in Kent,and was lucky enough to fly out of R.A.F. Manston in Chipmunks,on several occasions,and graced the same skies as those we try to emulate here.
This is a tribute to all those that survived,no matter what side,and a bigger tribute to those that didn't.
Sorry about the rambling!
I've been on other forums and the dedication and following that everyone has here is mind blowing!
Guys,keep it up

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”