Picture scans from books

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
greyeagle
Airman

Post by greyeagle »

[quote="stickman"]There are more pilot gear scans. Need some German ones, too, as it takes two to Tango!

The boots in the second picture(with all the pilots) are later style than Battle of Britain,in fact they are electrically heated(you can see the tabs at the top of the boots),so they are probably late war 43ish.

Oh yes the A.T.C,spent many a year kicking sparks with my hobnails,highly polished,rifle drill(with deact 303's)going away for a week to RAF camps.MY first ATC sqdn.had A FULLY WORKING LINK TRAINER
My last ATC sqdn actually had a mossie and a Spit shortly after the war and into fifties,both being scrapped in the 60's.
I got my license on ventures(a single engined glider)!
Stopping the prop in mid flight on a good engine takes abit of getting used to!!
Chippies were great to fly,my favourite.
Joined the air force and flew back seat in Harriers(gr3) over Germany
wot a ride!!
:D :D :D
what about the Officers?
Give 'em a bloody shovel!!

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Well, we can't be having no fancy electrically heated boots around here, can we?
Holy hell! reminds me when I was helping my brother-in-law feed his cattle during a particularly bad winter (1977) in northern Montana.
I thought I was going to lose some toes!
Did I tell ya about the time I killed a starving deer doe in his hay corral, with a 20 lb. sledge hammer?

-----------------------Anyway.... on with some more scans................

Ian Richard Gleed
nicknamed "Widge"

He was in 46 Sqn at the outbreak of war and was posted to command a flight in 266 later in 1939.
In May, 1940 he was transferred to 87 Sqn in France,
where he destroyed two Bf 110s, a 109, and two Do17s.
After returning to England he got four more 110s, won a DFC and took command of the Squadron.
He later operated in North Africa as a Wing Leader and increased his kills to 13 and three shared.
He was shot down and killed in 1943.

Gleed's Hurricane door:

Last edited by stickman on 12 Jan 2008, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

My eldest dauhter gave me a book for Christmas.
WWII The People's Story

Has more pictures than letters, some that I've not seen before.
Now ya'll know that I hate officers and fancy pants fighter boys!
Women are what I love, and pleased many in my youth!
Have forgotten the men I've met, but the ladies faces are still within my eyeballs.

Kevin, my youthful friend once said, "Jeff! Your mother has radar ears!"

Elizabeth always kept good tabs on my wandering locations.

Last edited by stickman on 12 Jan 2008, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Two maps:

musk
BDG

Post by musk »

Here we go again... I had to order the last book you posted pics from ya'know. :?

Hmm... I see it's half-off at the Reader's Digest store.

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

WWII The People's Story.

Has some of the well known WWII pictures, but many more that I have not seen dealing with well.... people.

Eldest daughter gave it to me for Christmas as well as The History Channel's World War II (5 DVDs). :)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Interesting maps, although towns bombed isnt 100% accurate but more a summary of the the main attacks.

You really are a history bloke aint yer stickly. You can tell a good historian by how much he looks at things like people and everyday life during a certain period he may be studying. Ins all about context and I had it driven into me during my degree, context context context.

The best example here I suppose is those who say the youth of today has changed from friendly to naughty but if you actually look into it nothing has changed, now they were hoods and hang about street corners, back then they annoyed country folk and farmers by rampaging around england at 20ft in 2000hp aeroplanes. A funny story of what they use to get up to at my home towns own bomber base is detailed in the book about its history written by a friend. The basic jist of the story is that on the base as well as the lancasters they had various 'spare' joy riding aircraft including something like a defiant or avro anson that was fitted with a deployable liferaft (the soft type). Well on days off or when bored the boys use to open the doors wide on there huts and two would go up in the aircraft and do shallow dives at the hut whilt trying to deploy the raft through the open doors. Now that sounds like exactly the sort of thing we got up to at university.

Conextualising (maybe a made up word but history of art course I was taught how to make up words) is an important part of research and somthing that should be done with as much effort as the actual subject mater in order to get a better understanding of a said period in history and therefore a further and much rounder understanding of objects and events in a certain period. My word look how long ive babbled on about the price of fish, my oh my.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”