Comparison IL2 vs BobII

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
GOZR
Senior Airman

Post by GOZR »

The light in some place is very good yes for example ground to the sky but the sky to the ground look too dark.. or maybe because it's the lack of lights effects, shadows etc.. well depend when really .. talking about weather or time would the next released will have a time settings instead of moments like dusk or morning ? with time it will maybe fix some lights problem IMO.
Also the planes look like they are flying a bit to close to each others...

And no it's not on il2 that i refer really but more of the real world lights and planes FM or IQ ( image quality ).
I wish that it would not be a representation by a style of an artiste like you said but something more to reality.
Last edited by GOZR on 31 Jan 2007, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
-GOZR

SeaVee
BDG

Post by SeaVee »

Well, I for one LOVE the A/C externals of BoB2. Not a knock on Il2 as those planes look great too. The look of BoB2 is alot like the actual 1969 movie Battle of Britain (which by the way should be remade and directed by Peter Jackson :lol: ). The stock BoB2 terrain is a bit stark but there are already several good mods and more on the way.

Below is some FSX modded texturing in BoB2:

(Sorry don't ask I can't share this as it would be "stealing" from M$ - I own my own copy of FSX - bought and paid for full retail and these are for my own personal use).
Last edited by SeaVee on 30 Jan 2007, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
i7-990X Extreme Edition CPU; 12GB DDR3 RAM; ASRock 58X Deluxe mobo; EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 video card; Corsair HX850W PSU; XFi Titanium; 40” 1920X1080 LCD; MS FFB2; TIR 5 Pro; Logitech MX518 mouse; Logitech Z680 speakers; Buttkicker Gamer

GOZR
Senior Airman

Post by GOZR »

See watch the land is flat no shadows and too dark it's always in " contre-Jour "

Too me i really enjoy when it's the closest to reality .

Good picture btw :)

-GOZR

SeaVee
BDG

Post by SeaVee »

Absolutely beautiful screenie there GOZR. The water is super nice in FSX (that is FSX right, not IL2?). I have flown it very little actually.

Yep, the current terrain in BoB2 could use more height and objects and shadow. In the screenshot I have item shadows disabled entirely due to an issue with the shadows being worked on for the 2.06 patch.

Over at the Flying Tigers dev forum they are doing some incredible work modelling the terrain in Burma using the BoB2 terrain engine and modifications of same. This includes major hills and even large MOUNTAINS. The preliminary work is very impressive.

Now that the fartiles obstacle has been fixed with BoB2 and with FT development under way there will be ALOT more terrain enhancements down the pike (not too distant future either) for BoB2.

Many new features and enhancements that are going in to FT will in some form or fashion go into BoB2 as well.
i7-990X Extreme Edition CPU; 12GB DDR3 RAM; ASRock 58X Deluxe mobo; EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 video card; Corsair HX850W PSU; XFi Titanium; 40” 1920X1080 LCD; MS FFB2; TIR 5 Pro; Logitech MX518 mouse; Logitech Z680 speakers; Buttkicker Gamer

GOZR
Senior Airman

Post by GOZR »

Great news Seavee :)
I think we all want the same.. The best for us and for the dev team ;)
I do my own FM in FSX and also corrected some FM or controls corrections to me from my own experience.
-GOZR

hiz
Senior Airman

Post by hiz »

Don't really want to start an academic debate, but:
Seafireliv wrote:hiz, a lot of your complaints about IL2 are actually mistaken. many of those you mention are simply a lack of familiarisation with the program.
Well, I know nothing about how the program actually works, but after a year of flying the thing I am pretty certain I know what I see and have the tendencies right.
Seafireliv wrote:Playing chicken with Ai is not hard, just shoot before they come in range. Your bullets will get to them before they even open fire. The AI will break without shooting. Only ACE tend to keep coming on.
Could there be difference between the campaign missions and the quick mission builder missions? I've given up flying against aces, because it just doesn't make sense. Even if you hit them, it takes a ridiculous amount of hits to bring them down. I have never noticed the AI opponent break off a head on attack no matter what the skill level. There are times when I have hit them and brought them down head on, but usually it's the other way around. You end up with a hole between your eyes...
Seafireliv wrote:There`s plenty of point in using limited ammo against Russian fighters. I as well as many others shoot them down with various levels of ease. This sounds like an accuracy issue to me.
This is also a question of getting to a shooting range, which is hard if your opponent is faster than you (in his obsolete kite) and spots you at 350 meters no matter what.
Seafireliv wrote:You don`t have to accomplish a mission before advancing. Just set `No Instant mission Success` to Off. Then you continue on as long as you don`t die.
Thanks for the advice, didn't know that!
Seafireliv wrote:Flak is about right. Jink a bit if it gets too close. Flak tracks you and will get you if you do nothing as it gets closer and closer.
I have to get my English straight. What's the difference between flak and direct AA. Is flak only the "heavy" AA (my aviation vocabulary is pretty much from Iron Maiden's "Aces High" :oops: )?
Seafireliv wrote:The thing is both sims have their good and bad points, this is why I keep both. I even said on the IL2 forum that it`s a pity we can never find a sim that does everything in one... or that Scott and Oleg could join up to make the Ultimate sim. :P
I quite agree and I do have them both. Just haven't flown IL-2 for a while. I don't think there ever will be a "perfect sim". I just think that BoB has less annoying tendencies, but then again I wouldn't start a doctor's thesis on the subject. :D

hiz
Senior Airman

Post by hiz »

Thaks for the tips SeaVee! I've already tried some of them. Gotta try the option of wingman allways seeing the enemy. I never use the padlock view because I enjoy the feeling of losing the enemy in the heat of the battle. Especially when you accidentally run past him and start frantically searhing for him in your six. Brings a lot of extra excitement to the experience!

SeaVee
BDG

Post by SeaVee »

No problem Hiz. There are tons of little tips and things one can do with BoB2 - especially with the campaign. Someday I have to get into the campaign myself. :oops:

It is surprising and a testament to BoB2's "replayability" that I have yet to start a campaign after just over a year owning it and playing exclusively the many pre-canned IA missions. There is a fair amount of randomization and the AI are so good it does not get boring.

Fredrick and the other Devs are working on a MUCH more robust Mission Editor. The GUI will be much improved and alot easier and more intuitive to build missions more easily for the average user. That is not far away from being done as well.

I'd love to have on-line play someday for Bob2 with the great community we have here but in the meantime offline is fantastic in its own right. Still play BF2 series at times which is alot of fun. One negative about many on-line games is at times the level of whining in-game and even worse at times the obvious cheaters/hackers who get around the anti-cheat measures. At times its so bad it can turn me off to a game totally - America's Army was one example even though I used to play it all the time I gave up as the BS got so out of hand and Punkbuster was totally ineffective.

If you like flight sims alot and play regularly, if you ever get the opportunity consider buying Track IR - it is amazing. YOU become the padlock function at will tracking a plane yourself (and at times losing sight of it) as it twists and turns. In BoB2 I set TIR to override padlock so that the few times I actually padlock a plane only the diamond is drawn around it but my view remains controlled by the TIR. I have been a PC gamer for many years and only got heavy into flight sims in the last couple years after I got TrackIR. I bought the original IL2 on the day it was released and played it ocassionally but not until TIR which so totally transformed flight sims that I now play them almost exclusively.

hiz
Senior Airman

Post by hiz »

TIR would be a good solution, especially as I don't have pedals, so I'm constantly switching from controlling my view with num keys to controlling the rudder with my second joystick and vice versa. The most urgent thing now is to get a new CPU and GPU. My BoB is just a hint of what it can be visually! (I also got FS2004 and WoP2, but I'm already eager to run it with FSX.)

Trumper
BDG

Post by Trumper »

hiz wrote:TIR would be a good solution, especially as I don't have pedals, so I'm constantly switching from controlling my view with num keys to controlling the rudder with my second joystick and vice versa. The most urgent thing now is to get a new CPU and GPU. My BoB is just a hint of what it can be visually! (I also got FS2004 and WoP2, but I'm already eager to run it with FSX.)
You don't need the expensive pedals.I use the logitech steering wheel which comes with pedals.I use the pedals for the rudder.Something like this http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h174a.htm 2
and Track IR with the X45 Joystick.

Rummy
BDG

Post by Rummy »

BOB WOV aircraft models are still using per vertex lighting if I'm not mistaken. Folks have the ability to use per pixel but the skinners pack has not been released. You can see a few early examples of the lighting effects in this thread. http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... &start=585

Problem is lack of time. As someone who has done work for both titles, BOB is much more powerful than Il2, its just that work has not focused on using these powers as it was more on stability and the future. Terrain is getting better everyday but we've a long way to go.

Also note that many of these environmental settings can be controlled in the .bdg file. Someone should did those threads back up.

hiz
Senior Airman

Post by hiz »

Actually I was in a process of building pedals of my own. That would mean a joystick controlling the rudder, attached to pedals with wire. Gave it up though. Not much of a carpenter... I don't like the pedals that are sold. I would like the pedals to be really sturdy and have one pedal come up when the other is pressed down. Maybe one of these days... :(

Rummy
BDG

Post by Rummy »

CH Pro pedals are a very durable plastic and can be used for both sims and racing (if you apply the chocks). SimPed makes all metal ones if I recall but they are pricey.

hiz
Senior Airman

Post by hiz »

Just did some "research". CH pedals could be what I'm looking for. If I'm not mistaken, one might even be able to find a pair in Helsinki!

Thanks!

msalama
Airman

Post by msalama »

Hmmm...

Well IL-2's and BoB II's flight modelling isn't that different IMHO (I fly "full switch" only, i.e. w/ maximum realism settings turned on). The planes are somewhat torque-y in both so you have to put some boot in when taking off, f.ex., but the amount feels roughly the same to me in both. BoB II AC seem to have their undercarriages a bit more springy than what is the case with IL-2 - which I think is more realistic - but IL-2's engine gyro effect modelling is, again, better IMHO. Or, in other words, IL-2's rudder trim is there for a reason, because you'll have to re-trim every time you change your power settings - and that is something I feel is currently a bit lacking in BoB II's flight modelling.

My $0.002 only, of course. YMMV, as they say :)

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”