Improving the Luftewaffe multiskin

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
redband_151
BDG

Improving the Luftewaffe multiskin

Post by redband_151 »

Hi all, we have been working on improving the LW multiskin. There have been a number of improvements to the base files that were originally included in the V205 multiskin.

The LW multiskin that was sent out with this version was pretty accurate in regards to number colors and emblems.
But as a first run, we were not sure how this might effect frame rates. So, we used a simplified version. The feedback that we have so far is that the frame rate hit seems fairly minor. However, it has increased the load time of the missions. With the stronger processors though this seems to be around 30 seconds, weaker CPU's can take 1 - 1 1/2 minutes to load. With that in mind I have set out to refine the LW multiskin even further for the stronger CPUs.

When we are done, the emblems, numbers and markings for a specific unit will be extremely accurate as to what they would have looked like for this time period. There will always be some variations due to the vast number of AC used, field conditions and personal preferences. Camouflage is also quite accurate. However, due to the size of the AC skins it is better to limit the number of those. However, MS will allow those who may want say particular skin to to be included.

Below is a quick reference guide of the unit markings that you can expect to see in BOB WOV. There are about 4 other markings not listed here, that may have been used in the BOB. However, I have no photographic history of these, and so will not use them until I can make sure they were used.

So far this is some of what has been done.

-Added Black numbers with white boarders to those units that used them

-Further refined which units had solid white versus white bodied/black edged numbers
IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/R ... 1/JG53.jpg[/IMG]

-Added solid red numbers

-Added solid yellow number

-Deleted wavy gruppe lines from JG 54 7th and 8th staffel as I have never seen any photographic evidence of actually any gruppe markings for those stafeln

-Cleaned up the gruppe emblems on all units. Some numbers colors did not match the gruppe markings. JG 27 5th staffle will have black number with a red horizontal gruppe markings as was a trade mark of this unit. Mking sure these are correct takes some time as the 3rd, 6th and 9th staffeln can only be seen in Campaign.

-Fixed several gruppe anomalies on the skins including the IJG 2 (bonzo dog) having the JG26 9th staffle skin ( red griffon).

-Further refined the staffel emblems. Some gruppes in the game, like the IJG3 used the same red tatzlewurm emblem for all three staffeln. Most staffeln that had their individual emblems now have those in game. The I JG3 now uses a white tatzlewurm for the 1st staffel, red for the 2nd staffel and yellow for the 3rd. Some emblems will seem to have disappeared, however they may have been shifted to a staffel ( 3, 6, 9) that can only be seen in the in the campaign, the red griffin 9/JG26. for example. will not be seen in IA.

-Added JG2 3rd staffel emblem

-Added JG2 6th staffel thumb on hat

-Added JG2 7th staffel wolf emblem

-Fixed JG3 1,2,3 staffeln to correct tatzlewurm colors

-Added JG26 1st staffel grasshopper

-Added new JG26 9th staffel griffin

-Added correct color of IJG51 emblem

-Added JG51 1st staffel mouse

_Added JG51 8th staffel black cat

-Corrected location of JG52 4th and 5th staffel

-Added JG52 6th staffel eagel

-Added JG54 1st staffel chimney sweep.
IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/R ... 54_1-1.jpg[/IMG]

-Added JG54 2nd staffel devil

-Added JG54 3rd staffel hunter
IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/R ... JG54_3.jpg[/IMG]

-Added Jg54 7th staffel skin with winged clog

-Added JG54 8th staffel Piepmatz

-Some units were were known for their distinctive camouflage. I moved skins with the closest camo to those units.
Some units like JG26 preferred little if any camouflage during this period preferring just high demarcation lines of 02/71/65

For those of you who might like to see some particular ace's AC or would like to see a particular camo pattern in the game it is very easy to include these. So it is entirely possible to have say: Galland, Molders, etc. specific skins in the game. Keep in mind though that each time you add an individual skin it does require cpu resources.

GruppenKommandeur Hans Von Hahns IJG2

IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/R ... ahnsv2.jpg[/IMG]

Hope you enjoy this. Any comments, questions welcomed.

Rummy
BDG

Post by Rummy »

Most excellent work redband!

Manta
Airman First Class

Post by Manta »

This patch is under development?

Jethro
Technical Sergeant

Post by Jethro »

This is really, really great! Such devotion to historical research is remarkable and unique in the sim world as far as I know...

My question now is if we must wait for 2.06 or we can forecast an independent timeframe for the release of this ms patch?

Cheers
J

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

Looks excellent! :D

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Wow, those are beautiful.
A2A Simulations Inc.

heloguy
Senior Airman

Post by heloguy »

redband_151 wrote: For those of you who might like to see some particular ace's AC or would like to see a particular camo pattern in the game it is very easy to include these. So it is entirely possible to have say: Galland, Molders, etc. specific skins in the game. Keep in mind though that each time you add an individual skin it does require cpu resources.
Is that cpu resources at load time, during play, or both?

nachinus
Staff Sergeant

Post by nachinus »

I'm glad to see that BoB2 still has a very exciting future! :D
"I hate reality, but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
Woody Allen

redband_151
BDG

Post by redband_151 »

Jethro wrote:
My question now is if we must wait for 2.06 or we can forecast an independent timeframe for the release of this ms patch?

Cheers
J

I assume this will be an independent release from V2.06. It is just about ready to go. I have only two very small changes to make. It does need some testing to make sure there are no glitches.

heloguy wrote:

Probably more to do with loading time than cpu resources. We assumed that MS would really slow the game down, but what we have found out so far is that it doesnt seem to affect this so much. I don't think we will have a complete answer on this until people start to use it. By the way I am still using a 1.4 MHZ machine. My load times can be long, from 30 seconds for a IA with take off and landing scenarios, to about 1-1/2 minutes with Black Thursday Afternoon. I don't think I have seen a significant drop in FPS. With or without MS I am in the mid teens. I have
weather on low, same as particle density, screen resolution is 1280 x 1024. You would think that if there was a real CPU hit, then my FPS would be a total slide show. So for you guys with the high end system, this should cause no issues outside of the increased load times.
Last edited by redband_151 on 23 Jan 2007, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.

SeaVee
BDG

Post by SeaVee »

nachinus wrote:I'm glad to see that BoB2 still has a very exciting future! :D
With Shockwave's ongoing development of the new game Flying Tigers which will use some of the underlying BoB2 game engine, you will see continued additions to and improvements across the board to BoB2 for a very long time to come. This game has veeeery long legs and it is far from finished. The future is very bright indeed.
i7-990X Extreme Edition CPU; 12GB DDR3 RAM; ASRock 58X Deluxe mobo; EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 video card; Corsair HX850W PSU; XFi Titanium; 40” 1920X1080 LCD; MS FFB2; TIR 5 Pro; Logitech MX518 mouse; Logitech Z680 speakers; Buttkicker Gamer

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

heloguy wrote:
for 256 MB Video ram and more, it is loading only since all textures get preloaded.
for 128 MB it is a bit of both; Loading and possible hiccups during 3D when additional textures are needed (fps will still be fairly unchanged though).
Note 64MB video ram does not allow MS.

Jethro
Technical Sergeant

Post by Jethro »

Thanks Redband, great!

Good job!
J

IncendiaryLemon
Technical Sergeant

Post by IncendiaryLemon »

Looks lovely Redband :)

Low_Flyer
BDG

Post by Low_Flyer »

Cool! Much appreciated.

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Actually, I need to finish that JG3 touch up, we've been discussing, Redband. Let me know when you're ready to go. I probably need a day or so. I'm away next week, though..
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”