BOB2 WINDOWS 10 PATCH (RELEASED)

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
Felizpe
Airman First Class

Re: BOB2 WINDOWS 10 PATCH (RELEASED)

Post by Felizpe »

Hi D'Ace, I don't know if it will help you solve your problem but when you get a fresh Windows 8 / 8.1 /10 and want to play old games is recommended to install DirectX 9.0c (It's already included in this Windows 10 Patch) and all Visual C++ versions from 2005 to 2019 to fix problems related to "msvc" .dll files (You have to install both x86 and x64 for each version even if your system is 64bit). Also is recommended to install and activate .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

You can download "Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes All-in-One" here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/vi ... ll-in-one/

Then download and manually activate ".NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1" as showed in this video tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcRh4c4oIwg

(And just an update, it's also recommended to install a video and audio full codec like "K-Lite Codec Pack" for the game be able to run the videos without crash)

Good luck! ;)
Last edited by Felizpe on 03 Jun 2020, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
"Just wanna live enough to tell my grandson I was a BOB2 Ace"

D'Ace
Airman Basic

Post by D'Ace »

Thanks again Felizpe, no luck.

I will try in some other PC, just to see if my files are right, and wait till I can change graphic card. By the way, GTX 1060. Thankyou for everything!

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

I recently found out when you play BOB2 for the first time with your Joystick plugged the Joystick-Autoconfiguration system keeps the setting saved and so "Mouse as Stick Config" addon may not work properly. So to remove your Joystick setting and use Mouse as Stick follow these procedures.

1-First unplug your Joystick from your PC

2-Then install "1-Mouse as Stick Config by Felizpe.rar" addon

3-In game main menu go to "Options" / "Controls"

4-Change "Input Device" to Mouse

5-Then click at "Custom"

6-Change Throttle to "Keyboard"

(To change Throttle to "Keyboard" you have to click over "Mouse: Wheel" value so it will be red highlighted then move slowly your mouse to "Clear Axis" button and click over it. You have to move slowly cause if you move your mouse fast it will set the value to "Mouse : Y Axis")

7-Change Gunner Azimuth to "Mouse : X Axis"

(To change Gunner Azimuth to "Mouse : X Axis" just click over "Keyboard" value and move fast your mouse to Left or Right direction so it will set "Mouse : X Axis")

8-Change Gunner Elevation to "Mouse : Y Axis"

(To change Gunner Elevation to "Mouse : Y Axis" just click over "Keyboard" value and move fast your mouse to Up or Down direction so it will set "Mouse : Y Axis")

9-Click at "Continue" and click "Yes" to Save changes and it's done!

I also uploaded a video to help:

https://youtu.be/KbbfTuzvnZg

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

For all Chaps that don't have the original 2.0 CD Release but want to install this Windows 10 Patch over the digital 2.06 version from A2A Store, here is a fix:

(This is just a fix you still need to download the full BOB2 Windows 10 Patch)

DOWNLOAD LINK: https://www.mediafire.com/file/rt77uzf6 ... n.rar/file
Last edited by Felizpe on 30 Mar 2021, 05:53, edited 3 times in total.

heinkill
BDG

Post by heinkill »

Have just had a rather mixed experience jumping back into simming, provoked by the release of MSFS 2020, which I would give an 8/10, but overall do enjoy.

https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ ... ost4535344

However I also took a punt on the new DLC for Cliffs of Dover, Desert Warfare and while there has been some impressive work done bringing a new map, new kites into the game and new ordnance, the AI in that sim is deal-breaker for me. AI, if it does engage, which is a minor miracle, just fires long poorly aimed continuous bursts and then bugs out. If you get onto the tail of an AI 9 times out of 10 it just rolls randomly around until you knock it down.

So it has given me a big hunger for the real dogfighting fun I remember from BOB2. I plan to uninstall Cliffs of Dover and reinstall BOB2 with your apparently wonderful Win10 patch.

Some questions:

- I understand this updates an early version of the game. Are any of Buddye's amazing AI fixes included in this update or can they be incorporated somehow?
- The many updates to the campaign engine ... are they included in any way?
- How about gfx upgrades to objects etc?
- Does it work with multiskin?

These are not deal breakers for me, just hoping is all...

Fred
Looking for BOB missions, campaigns, and historical resources?

http://bobgamehub.blogspot.com

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Hi Heinkill thanks for the message! Really liked MSFS 2020 graphics ;)

Well let me try answering your questions based in my limited knowledge about the source code

1-All AI fixes were made inside bob.exe, so it's not possible to edit the .ccp source files inside it. I think I know how to fix bob 2.13 executable using a method by replacing the .ccp files from 2.13 for the ones from 2.0 or 2.01 version till find the incompatible code but unfortunately nobody has 2.0 or 2.01 source code.

2-As all campaign fixes were made inside a .ccp file inside bob.exe executable so it was not possible to use any of them. The only good side from 2.01 campaign AI comparing to 2.13 is that it doesn't have a rare bug where a whole RAF fighter squadron flies like bombers without losing formation when atacked so if you are playing with Luftwaffe it's pure static turkey shot. It never happens with 2.01 exe.

3-I tried adding 2.13 objects to 2.01 but faced two main problems, one was about drawdistance where objects disappear and appear in front of you like magic, I have a video showing that in this same topic. Another problem is that new objects need a new "dir.dir" file that has a different internal structure not accepted by 2.01 bob.exe. I think there is some code in "Fileman.cpp" inside 2.13 bob.exe responsible for the executable reads the new dir.dir files.

4-Inside 2.13 bob.exe there is a .ccp file called "multiskin.ccp" that 2.01 executable doesn't have, so all multiskin codes responsible to read the files inside multiskin folder are inside the source code compiled in 2.13 executable.

Hope someone could fix that someday, I really miss all 2.13 features ;)

PieceOfCake
Airman First Class

Post by PieceOfCake »

Is it possible to get the original gun sights and tracer, smoke and bullet textures from 2.13?
Is your version also compatible with texture / ground texture mods for 2.13?
I also noticed that your version produces old BoB 1 smoke and flame textures with some blocky squares weird textures.

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Hi PieceOfCake, I don't have 2.13 Patch installed here now to get the textures, but I remember the names of the original textures. The problem is that I had to adapt many textures to 2.01 old model objects so I will list the ones that will bug the game.

The spitfire gunsight texture is called "RAFsight.dds" and you can find it inside "COCKPM16" folder of 2.13 patch (The difference is that original 2.13 is yellow and I edited it to a little bit orange like IL2 COD)

The Bf109 gunsight texture is called "SIGHT2.dds" and you can find it inside "COCKPM16" folder of 2.13 patch (You can no longer use the original texture cause as I edited bf109 cockpit nose view position I had to resize it, so original will misaligned crosshairs)

For Bullet tracers and smoke you can't use the textures from 2.13 since 2.13 patch use new objects and scripts for it. So these textures were edited from 2.01 patch. The textures I edited are "Bullet1.dds" "EXPLOMAP.dds" "TRACSMK.dds" located inside "MskMap16" folder and the original files you can find in 2.01 patch. (The difference is the same, I only edited bright yellow textures to a more orange fire color)

The ground texture mods for 2.13 will work if you use only the .dds files but it will bug some areas since in this Windows 10 Patch I had to adapt the textures to old ground terrain model used by 2.01 executable, so it uses a mix of 2.13 textures with original 2.01.

The "old BoB 1 smoke and flame textures with some blocky squares weird textures" are not caused by my edited textures it happens cause 2.01 exe always had these bugs. I also didn't edit smoke and flame textures, I only edited clouds textures to make it more transparent. So if you wanna use original 2.13 the files are "low_clouds.dds" inside "TextureMap" folder and "Nimbus.dds" inside "Weather" folder. This bug happens when bombers drop bombs and the explosion cause alpha texture bug in smoke/clouds it's very weird, sometimes you can see inside the clouds pilots textures or some other random textures, unfortunately 2.01 executable have many bugs.

PieceOfCake
Airman First Class

Post by PieceOfCake »

Thanks a lot! And thanks too for taking time to answer so thoroughly.
Helped out a lot! I will try and mod the game to my liking since the 2.13 crashes constantly on windows 10 (I tried every tips and hint, but still crashes),
while your version seems to be stable.

PieceOfCake
Airman First Class

Post by PieceOfCake »

I have been flying your mod / game for some hours now, and it's stable as hell. Haven't noticed any stuttering, or crashes.
I am quite enjoying the sim now.
But there are some bugs: Some buildings are white without textures when far away. The do get textures when you get closer or zoom in.
It's a bit distracting and immersion breaking. Is there a way to fix this?

I have also modded the game with some different sounds and graphics. I altered the tracers and gun sight if you are interested. I also have a very good browning machine gun sound that fits the game very well.

I was also wondering if you can alter the plane distance in outside view. It's a bit too close.
Hazzie made some cool changes to the ExternalView.cfg that was in the root folder, but with your version its' not here.
Is there a way to implement the chase toggle distance and such as in this script from the cfg file? :

//configures external views to add G force effects
//
DisplacementScalar = 15
ZoomScalar = 10
FieldOfViewScalar = 10
MouseDelay = 0 //smooths and delays reaction to mouse panning
ZoomReturnRate = 0 //0=no zoom return, higher zoom return = faster recovery
//
//configures flyby view
//
//
ForwardDisplacement = 12531 //dist in cm that viewpoint is in front of plane
LateralDisplacement = 0 //dist in cm that viewpoint is to side of plane, (+) = left side of plane, (-) = right side of plane
VerticalDisplacement = 0 //dist in cm that viewpoint is vertically displaced from plane center, (+) = viewpoint above plane, (-) = viewpoint is under plane
FlyByDuration = 450000 // time (ms) flyby will last after initial zoom out.
TrackPlaneFlyby = 1 //Viewpoint tracks plane: 1=yes, 0 = no. If yes, applies to flyby.
TrackPlaneRovingCam = 0 //Viewpoint tracks plane: 1=yes, 0 = no. If yes, applies to roving cam.
AdjustFOV = -7 //Change default FOV by amount: + value widens FOV, - narrows FOV
//
//Setup initial zoom out
//
DoInitialZoomOut = 0 // 0 = no initial zoom, 1 = initial zoom
InitialPauseDuration = 3000 //time (ms) before initial zoom out begins
FlyBySetupDuration = 1000 //time (ms) initial zoom out lasts
SetupForwardDivisor = 7 //starting distance in cm that viewpoint is in front of plane = ForwardDisplacement/SetupForwardDivisor.

And can you also alter the color of the water? The BDG.txt is lacking a lot of features.

PieceOfCake
Airman First Class

Post by PieceOfCake »

In game when I press "R" (comms chat) and then "1", this happens:

https://ibb.co/3dc6hsk (clickable image link)

Did I do something wrong? lol

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Hi thanks for the messages!

Yeah the white textures also happens with me and I really don't understand why it happens. If someone find a solution please share with us cause I think it's a 2.01 executable bug since it also happens in 2.0 and 2.01 version.

Please feel free to share in this Topic all additional addons adapted for this Windows 10 Patch. I really appreciate any addons ;)

Unfortunately the "ExternalView.cfg" is an aditional config file only added to 2.13 executable, 2.01 executable doesn't run this config cause it's not in the source code.

All bdg.txt new lines and features are generated by 2.13 executable, so when you run the game executable it adds these new lines into your bdg.txt file. As 2.01 source code doesn't have WATER_COLOUR lines it's not possible to edit the color...

I never had this bug "Please input your shape number" in Windows 8.1 and 10. So if you are playing your game in Windows XP Compatibility Mode and as Administrator and it remains try testing the original 2.0 game, or with only 2.01 Patch without this Windows 10 Patch to check if it also happens cause I didn't edit any file related to radio comms. You installed this Patch over which version, CD 2.0 or Digital 2.06? Try also rebind the "R" key in Controls menu to any other key. But it seems .ocx registry bug, maybe you can fix it installing 2.01 patch over you game to restore registry and then install again this Win10 Patch over it ;)

rogeroger
Staff Sergeant

Post by rogeroger »

I'm stubbornly holding onto my win7 setup due to the older programs on my system that probably won't work with win10, so I haven't had to install your patch. This sounds like a lower level of detail (lod)problem. It sounds like the 2.01 code is searching for a lower res texture to render in the distance and is not finding it. Have you introduced later version buildings and textures into v2.01 and if so, what are the texture sizes?I think that the later versions have larger texture sizes. I would reduce these texture sizes to 1024 or 512 or even 256 and see if this helps. Export them as dxt1 and enable mipmaps if v2.01 is using dds files. I've reduced my textures from 2048 to 512 in v2.13 in order to increase frame-rates.

I'm not saying that this will definitely fix the problem but it's worth a try.

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Hi rogeroger, yeah it looks like but I didn't add any new objects and all objects use default textures from 2.01. This bug happens even in original 2.0 game without this patch. This bug is very random for me it doesn't happen in every mission, it's like if the loading game has an error searching for the textures, 1 in 10 missions it may happen. Now if the bug related is not random for PieceOfCake I think the problem is his videocard or nvidia filter settings running over the game. I will explain better how this bug happens for me only to check if it's the same bug. In tangmere airfield there are 4 Hangars, sometimes only one of them becomes white. In Airfields sometimes AA Guns becomes White Without Texture but if I reload the missions it is normal again, so it really looks like an error during loading game files before mission. (UPDATE: I had this bug today and I will post here the screenshot)

(The white building is the exactly same building as the two others on its right side, so the game loaded the texture perfectly for them but didn't for this one, weird)

Hey PieceOfCake, as I said it's not possible to edit WATER_COLOUR lines in 2.01 executable, but it's possible to edit the Sea Reflex Color. You have just to edit the file "Fresnel.bmp" inside "Weather" folder. I made some versions just for testing, one with yellow sun reflex, and one with dark green reflex if you wanna test it I'll share here the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/z04cu6kww ... n.rar/file

PieceOfCake
Airman First Class

Post by PieceOfCake »

It's the most unstable, buggy flight sim I ever flown.
it's made out of sticks and glue.
Yet it's the best one I ever flown. The atmosphere and flight feeling is amazing

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”