new reply
Sostenuto
Airman Basic

Assistance Please

Post by Sostenuto »

Code: Select all

A[code]
[/code]

Would anyone please be so kind as to help a daughter get her father the right game for bob2? The last computer I gave him used Win 7 and as he said, "it has crapped out," so I got him a Win 10 computer. Now the game - without steam - he does not and never will use the internet. If anyone would be so kind to provide a link....I'm also reading about patches - are they still required or has the latest version incorporated?

IL-2 Battle of Britian win 10 is what I'm looking for WITHOUT Steam or newer game of same quality.

Thanking you in advance for reading this and more so if you are able to assist.

Laura

33lima3
Senior Airman

Re: Assistance Please

Post by 33lima3 »

Hi Laura

BoB2 works fine with Windows 7 - but can have difficulties with Windows 10.

The latest update (version 2.13) can work in Windows 10, but will crash when you try to end a mission, and can sometimes also crash when playing a campaign mission. So not good - best to install an earlier version of BoB2 update.

Players have reported that up to version 2.01 will work OK in Windows 10. I have not tried this.

You can buy the game online here, on the A2A simulations store: https://a2asimulations.com/product-category/standalone/ I THINK this is a digital download but you could probably buy it and save it to CD or DVD so that your father could install it.

You can also buy the CD version on eBay, if you search Battle of Britain II in the category for video games.

I do not know what versions of BoB2 these are, but I think it is very likely that the CD version will be an early one, and that it will work on Windows 10, but I am not certain. If you can buy it cheaply, it might be worth taking a chance.

It is a pity that you could not fix the PC with Windows 7, if it is good enough to play BoB2! Especially since, if your father does not use the internet, it will not be a problem that support for Windows 7 ends in 2020.
SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4481941/1
CombatAce Mission Reports: https://combatace.com/forums/forum/307-mission-reports/

Sostenuto
Airman Basic

Post by Sostenuto »

Thank you for your response! You bring up a good point - he gave me back the win 7 laptop -- think I'll take it up the street to the IT guys and ask what they can do.
Laura

33lima3
Senior Airman

Post by 33lima3 »

I am not sure if/how well BoB2 would run on any laptop, unless it is a high spec 'gaming' one. The 'installation' section of the readme for the 2.13 update (cut and pasted below) says this:

'Non- or limited DirectX-compliant graphics, particularly integrated motherboard chipsets such as found in most laptops and low-end general use desktops, will not be able to run the sim, nor will a machine with video over 10 years old.'

Installation [from the BoB2 manual for the BDG 2.13 update]
Options settings and your PCs capabilities:
Generally speaking, PC-based flight simulation games can be very demanding on a PC system’s capabilities – often to a greater degree than other game genres like “first person shooters”. PC flight games generally play best on very strong "gamer" optimized systems with a strong CPU, lots of fast system RAM, good video card and a fast hard drive, etc. When BoB2 was first released, we recommended a system with a video card with a bare minimum 64MB, and strongly recommended 128MB or higher; and for the MultiSkins add-on, then 256MB or higher of video memory. For the latest patch version 2.13, we are recommending Win XP/7, 3GB RAM, 1GB Video card, Strong Dual or Quad Core processor. Improved performance will be seen with a 64bit OS and 4GB or greater system RAM.
Because there is a great variation in the “power” of one PC over another, there is no single set of variables that are intended to work well across the board for all PCs. It is important for the player to understand the specifications and capabilities of his/her PC and set the game options (discussed in Chapter 2) accordingly.
Although Battle of Britain II Wings of Victory is based on a core developed in the late 1990s and released initially in 2000, the game’s code was written with a view towards the future - anticipating the continued advances in PC capabilities. With a powerful, modern PC that is capable of running the game at the higher “eye candy” settings, the visual quality and game play can be stunning and far greater than what was possible at the time of the original game release.
Your video should be fully Direct X 9.0c compliant for BoB2 to work properly. Non- or limited DirectX-compliant graphics, particularly integrated motherboard chipsets such as found in most laptops and low-end general use desktops, will not be able to run the sim, nor will a machine with video over 10 years old.
Important: Anti-aliasing and Vertical-Sync are NOT in-game menu option items. If your PC is strong enough, it is recommended that you enable these in your video card driver settings in order to take advantage of the significant visual enhancements to the game these settings can provide. Search the ‘net with the keywords “anti-aliasing” and “V-sync” for more information on what these settings do for games.
It is very strongly recommended that you ensure that all of your PC’s device drivers are fully updated to the latest available versions and you are using the latest version of DirectX 9.0c. see under “Installation”, item 5. There have been numerous updates to DX 9.0c although for some inexplicable reason Microsoft did not change the file name with each revision. Disabling anti-virus, anti-spyware and any non-essential background programs often also improves performance, especially on older, less capable systems.
Players who are still running 32 bit platforms (this includes Windows XP 32 Bit and windows 7 32 Bit), and who want to run BoBII with their options settings at maximum levels, will encounter CTD's in Versions 2.11 and later due to a lack of available memory for application use.
SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4481941/1
CombatAce Mission Reports: https://combatace.com/forums/forum/307-mission-reports/

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”