Petition to get A2A to fix the BOB II 2.13 patch to work on Win 10 and modern systems.

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
33lima3
Senior Airman

Re: Petition to get A2A to fix the BOB II 2.13 patch to work on Win 10 and modern systems.

Post by 33lima3 »

...and now there's this, whatver it may or not herald...

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=68329
SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4481941/1
CombatAce Mission Reports: https://combatace.com/forums/forum/307-mission-reports/

Lofty Anstruther
Senior Airman

Re: Petition to get A2A to fix the BOB II 2.13 patch to work on Win 10 and modern systems.

Post by Lofty Anstruther »

Felizpe wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 01:01 I also agree with GOG idea as an option if A2A was not able to fix the compatibility bug, but since "European Air War" that is one of the best old ww2 air combat game like bob2, bob1, CFS3 has already a petition in GOG community wishlist since 2012 and the buddies like us are sending messages to them since 2012 till now and they don't even answer the messages so I don't know what to believe in the moment, I'm just asking tower to give us a vector over :D

Here is the link to "European Air War" Community Wishlist on GOG:
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/european_air_war
Thanks for this - I have signed & would of course sign one for BoB2 once 33lima3 starts one as has been suggested in lima's earlier post. I hope all the BOB2 'gang' will sign it too. We have to try to keep the old girl in the air even if no-one rides to her rescue with a complete revamp given the current financial realities of flight simming.

I considered buying Wings Over the Reich but it doesn't seem a patch on BoB2, but if they bring out other era's of WW2 then I may well do so. But it just emphasises to me that BOB2 was and remains in a class of its own.
"Home and tea. For once you deserve it, well done everybody"

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Yeah chaps it seems GOG "hand-pick" the games by their own taste if it seems a classic old game that will be a success for them, it seems they don't give much attention to simulators or at least it's not their priority since "B-17 Flying Fortress" is the only one of this genre they released, but it would be interesting to add BOB2 to their wishing list :)

My last hope is that someone from A2A still has the source code from at least the original bob2 game (Released before any patch) and the source code from one of the last patches like 2.13. Cause since original game and patch 2.01 don't have these modern systems incompatibility bugs (using windows xp compatibility mode), original game has many random CTDs even on Windows XP so the ideal would be using the source code from patch 2.01 that is full stable on windows 8/8.1/10 but also contains some bugs like the old "JU52.pcx" crash when you fly instant mission choosing BF109 or Hurricane or "CLIFF.dds" crash when you fly BF 109 on historic mission "Black Thursday Morning" (These texture bugs happen just once a day after you turn on your pc and will not crash again next sessions of the game like if it keeps cached till your turn off your pc, so it's not very annoying)

So what they could do is to compile 2.13 "bob.exe" using the ".ccp" files from original source code and see what happen. For who doesn't know how is the structure from the internal source code use as base the free source code from original rowan's bob game:

https://github.com/gondur/BOB_Src/tree/master/SRC

So for example inside this "GRAPHICS" folder of source code from 2.13, just replace the internal "GRAFPASM.ASM" file for the one from the original 2.0 source code and compile bob.exe file, if it doesn't fix replace the ".ccp" files from "HARDWARE" folder one by one after compiling and testing each one and maybe this way they can identify what .ccp file is the problem. Then it could help a real coder to work exclusive inside the responsible .ccp codes ;)

As I said the ideal would be using for it the source code from patch 2.01 and 2.02 since 2.02 codes are the responsible to break the game on modern systems and since the game changed very little from 2.01 to 2.02 it would be easier to identify the main .cpp file responsible for the crash. This way would be possible to fix it without edit a single code line. But using for it the original 2.0 source code and the last 2.13 one there would be so many changes that must turn it into a hard challenge.

Of course A2A doesn't need me to explain these basic instructions since they are the developers of this game :D but I wrote it for all the chaps that are not devs but love this game to understand better the problem and still have hope it can be fixed soon. It just needs an experienced coder attention :)
"Just wanna live enough to tell my grandson I was a BOB2 Ace"

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

You know, if you had dropped by with this information a year and a half ago, there would have been a couple
of BDG coders to try your suggestion out, but things have been awful quiet on that front lately. If and when
one of them drops by again I'll be sure to point this out to them.

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Thanks for the support PV, hope some of them return soon or at least one of them! I'm new here as a forum member but I followed BOB2 BDG patches development since 2007 when I started playing this game so I really know about the Days of Glory of this community ;) but as I only used before Windows XP/7 so I never had these modern systems bugs. Well, maybe we are passing through a Critical Period but I hope the Big Wing will arise again, especially if the compatibility bug is finally fixed so new patches will be done! :D
"Just wanna live enough to tell my grandson I was a BOB2 Ace"

LANcaster
Airman

Post by LANcaster »

I entirely agree. As do a few of us over at the Computer Wargames FB group. Perhaps we could ask Heinkill to support this being a higher profile advocate of the genre? :D
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1883329 ... up_comment

I think the idea of gently petitioning Matrix to port this to Steam is an excellent idea. I spent many many years in this title and like others flew off to other sim fronts but i can genuinely say none of then comes close to this title's historical dynamic campaign. Also, not many wargames combine the strategic with the tactical so well. In fact they are only just waking up to this because people want it...Steel Division 2, War Thunder world war mode etc.

As someone said, it deserves one last beautiful sortie!

Oh yeah..as you all know, ATAG group made it happen with CoD Blitz right?

Scotters
Airman First Class

Post by Scotters »

I am very thankful that people are trying to contact others with influence. Whether its GOG, Steam, Matrix Games, or the country of Nepal, whatever it takes to get BOB to work on Win 10.

Viva Nepal! (You would have to have seen the movie Golden Child to Understand, but they may have the cunning, the intelligence to get this done.)

Trumper
BDG

Post by Trumper »

I too have pretty much given up with flight sims ,such a shame.I assume there are no updates about Jeff Stickman :( .

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Be sure to vote up the simulation on the Good Old Games wish list when logging into Good Old Games.

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games#sear ... %20britain

I entered a search of Battle of Britain so be sure it's the right simulation/game as there are others there as well.

The more votes there the better
It might help maybe.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

Lofty Anstruther
Senior Airman

Post by Lofty Anstruther »

I have just voted for BoB2 on the GOG wishlist. I noted that there were 2 wish lists - one was "Battle of Britain II: Wings of Victory" and the other was "Battle of Britain 2 Wings of Victory"
I voted on both of these - didn't want to split the BoB2 vote!
"Home and tea. For once you deserve it, well done everybody"

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”