New PC build project

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
marine
Technical Sergeant

Re: New PC build project

Post by marine »

PappyCain wrote:Ok Pappy sir, we have a dispatch that a motorcycle messenger is 22 minutes outside Tangmere seen driving with your package. Sir! Are we prepared??

A. Do we have enough milk and biscuits?
B. Have you had your hands massaged by the Nurse?
C. Did you have your boxer shorts starched properly?
D. Fresh jar of Marmalade handy? Spoon?

Good. We are ready. Snow in the forecast. 6 inches of wet mush. Good day to proceed. Plan to be up at 0-dark thirty. We will insert unit and fire her up before tea.
Pappy
Don't install any of that snow though,the fresh marmalade will be okay :)
Hope you have downloaded that GPU-Z program i gave you further up the page,it's only small,will go on a floppy disk/usb pen,then you can transfer it to your pc later,it will give us some valuable info.
Good hunting.
you live and learn,and die and forget.

CPU Intel E8400 Core 2 [email protected] O/[email protected] CRUCIAL MEM 6400,V/C Ati 6870 1GB mem,MB GA- p35ds3r,s/c 5.1 santa cruz,Viewsonic 2650 LCD 26" Screen

PappyCain
BDG

Post by PappyCain »

Arrived!

S'
PC

The gals had her swapped in 9 minutes flat. Quieter rig. Installing Marine's GPU-Z ... up and running. A-Ok. I think.

According to GPU-Z our GPU temp at 27.C running for an hour (no sim)
Fan 12%
"Was it something I said?" - 'Moggy' Cattermole 'Piece of Cake'
Core 2 Duo E6700, ASUS P5N-E-SLI, 2GB Corsair DDR2 PC6400,ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti, Coolermaster 650W PSU and Case, Audigy 2ZS Platinum, 5.1 Z-640, XP Pro, 22" CHIMEI LCD

marine
Technical Sergeant

Post by marine »

PappyCain wrote:Arrived!

S'
PC

The gals had her swapped in 9 minutes flat. Quieter rig. Installing Marine's GPU-Z ... up and running. A-Ok. I think.

According to GPU-Z our GPU temp at 27.C running for an hour (no sim)
Fan 12%
Pappy
Those temps are very good on idle,so you should be well okay on load with the Sim,nice and quiet to,good.
Thats a nice little program for studing your GPU statistics,and gives you a good oversight into how well your PC case cooling is.

Hope it all goes well.

CPU Intel E8400 Core 2 [email protected] O/[email protected] CRUCIAL MEM 6400,V/C Ati 6870 1GB mem,MB GA- p35ds3r,s/c 5.1 santa cruz,Viewsonic 2650 LCD 26" Screen

PappyCain
BDG

Post by PappyCain »

Yes, thanks Marine! Much lower temps and much quieter. I have to start the process of reloading all my stuff. I did have Seavee pass this profile to me on BOB2 settings for the old card.

Not sure where I set up profiles for this new card:

"Do not set Particle Density above Medium, even with your new bionic PC.

Also, make sure to set Antialiasing at 8XQ or 16XQ outside the game in the video driver settings and turn VSync ON.

There is an issue where you may have to set this and hit apply more than once to make it (and other customized driver settings) "stick". More info on this thread for 8800GTX owners: http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... php?t=7006

My in-game and other driver settings:

I have played around alot with the in-game settings - basically everything is on Max eye candy levels except:

Anisotropic filtering = 8X (saw no difference at 16X but you can do that too easily)

Particle density = Medium

Aside from the in-game settings, I also made the following profile for BoB2 within the Nvidia graphics card settings. This is with the new 97.92 drivers that are for the 8800GTX.

Anisotropic Filtering = Application controlled
Antialiasing - Gamma Correction = On
Antialiasing = 16XQ
Antialiasing - Transparency = off
Conformant Texture Clamp = use hardware
Extension Limit = Off
Force Mipmaps = bilinear
Multi-Display/mixed-GPU acceleration = single display performance mode
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization = On
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias = Allow
Texture filtering = Quality
Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization = On
Triple Buffering = Off
Vertical Sync = Force On

In the BDG.txt file I also set:
SMOOTHEN_FRAMERATE_MODE=LIMITED"

I recall using Nhancer but also recall another utility to create video profiles per sim?
Last edited by PappyCain on 26 Feb 2011, 07:03, edited 1 time in total.
Core 2 Duo E6700, ASUS P5N-E-SLI, 2GB Corsair DDR2 PC6400,ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti, Coolermaster 650W PSU and Case, Audigy 2ZS Platinum, 5.1 Z-640, XP Pro, 22" CHIMEI LCD

marine
Technical Sergeant

Post by marine »

PappyCain wrote:Yes, thanks Marine! Much lower temps and much quieter. I have to start the process of reloading all my stuff. I did have Seavee pass this profile to me on BOB2 settings for the old card.

Not sure where I set up profiles for this new card:

"Do not set Particle Density above Medium, even with your new bionic PC.

Also, make sure to set Antialiasing at 8XQ or 16XQ outside the game in the video driver settings and turn VSync ON.

There is an issue where you may have to set this and hit apply more than once to make it (and other customized driver settings) "stick". More info on this thread for 8800GTX owners: http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... php?t=7006

My in-game and other driver settings:

I have played around alot with the in-game settings - basically everything is on Max eye candy levels except:

Anisotropic filtering = 8X (saw no difference at 16X but you can do that too easily)

Particle density = Medium

Aside from the in-game settings, I also made the following profile for BoB2 within the Nvidia graphics card settings. This is with the new 97.92 drivers that are for the 8800GTX.

Anisotropic Filtering = Application controlled
Antialiasing - Gamma Correction = On
Antialiasing = 16XQ
Antialiasing - Transparency = off
Conformant Texture Clamp = use hardware
Extension Limit = Off
Force Mipmaps = bilinear
Multi-Display/mixed-GPU acceleration = single display performance mode
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization = On
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias = Allow
Texture filtering = Quality
Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization = On
Triple Buffering = Off
Vertical Sync = Force On

In the BDG.txt file I also set:
SMOOTHEN_FRAMERATE_MODE=LIMITED"
Pappy
Looks like everything is going okay,you seem to have it all covered,i have AF @16X rather than 8X set on my v/c,and in the BOB menu,as it should allow you to see things much better in the distance when playing BOB,but that's a personnel choice.

That v/c you have has some good write-ups regarding the quietness of the h/s/f,and should allow you to play BOB to its max easily.
Glad to see its gone well.

PappyCain
BDG

Post by PappyCain »

So far it is a fine VC. Price was good, quieter and much lower operating temps. Have yet to run BOB2 yet to see the results. I hope to do that today and report. Many thanks again Prem and Marine for your kind help. BTW, I will be in the UK May and June and hope to see a few air museums if I can.

SeaVee
BDG

Post by SeaVee »

On the Anti Aliasing settings try some of the different options in the NVIDIA control panel profile you create for BoB2 and look at the plane in outside view in game. Pay particular attention to how the wire between the fuselage and tail in exterior view looks. Higher AA levels will make that wire and other edges sharper with less of a jagged stair-step effect but come at the cost of frame rates. Use at least 4X and probably not more than 16XQ.

Also if Vsync is ON then also turn triple buffering ON.

Make sure you are using the latest NVIDIA drivers for your card as well:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

From time to time make sure the PC case's vents, fans, the power supply vent area, the CPU cooler and the video card's fan are cleaned of dust and pet dander. An air bottle blower should be fine but be careful of using veyr high PSI blown air to blow it all clear. Do it carefully and don't accidentally disconnect wires or cables in the process. The dust/dander builds up over time and the heat is a big factor in PC component failure.

Good luck.
i7-990X Extreme Edition CPU; 12GB DDR3 RAM; ASRock 58X Deluxe mobo; EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 video card; Corsair HX850W PSU; XFi Titanium; 40” 1920X1080 LCD; MS FFB2; TIR 5 Pro; Logitech MX518 mouse; Logitech Z680 speakers; Buttkicker Gamer

PappyCain
BDG

Post by PappyCain »

Thanks for the advisements - radiator clear, intake clear, canopy clean, new hydraulic hoses, prop pitch good. Have not installed BOB2, WOP, ROF or my beloved Janes WW2Fighters and SH3 with all my updated mods to check V/C temp status but a trial run on ROF produced an uptick to 40C w/ fan at 30% which I think is good given the graphics level setting to max. Frame rates excellent so far. RL work seems to be getting all my attention these days.

S'
PC

PappyCain
BDG

Post by PappyCain »

Just for the record I have installed GPU analyzer and like it. My VC seems quiet, graphics are superb. I also reinstalled SpeedFan to watch my temps/fans on CPU and case. I am not thrilled with the fan noise cooling the processor when taxed. It did not bother me when I flew with a headset on but without I wish the PC was in my basement in a padded room! :lol:

marine
Technical Sergeant

Post by marine »

PappyCain wrote:Just for the record I have installed GPU analyzer and like it. My VC seems quiet, graphics are superb. I also reinstalled SpeedFan to watch my temps/fans on CPU and case. I am not thrilled with the fan noise cooling the processor when taxed. It did not bother me when I flew with a headset on but without I wish the PC was in my basement in a padded room! :lol:
Pappy.
Yeah,i know what you mean,can't stand noisy PCs,you must have the stock cooler on the cpu,and that would probably fire up a spit,you wouldn't have to kick start it then. :)

If you put on a third party cooler,with a 120mm fan attached,you wouldn't hear it,besides the cpu being a lot cooler.
You would however have to take the mobo out to fit the screws from underneath,but that doesn't take long,but it all depends on whether you would be confident in doing that.Pretty tricky if you haven't done it before,but it's not a big deal,perhaps you will have to keep the headset on all the time, but don't forget to take it off when you go to bed :)

PappyCain
BDG

Post by PappyCain »

Yep I have a stock ...

marine
Technical Sergeant

Post by marine »

PappyCain wrote:Image

Yep I have a stock ...
Yes,i had that cooler come with my E8400 intel cpu,the first thing i did,was to put the cooler in the Bin,scrap :)I'd go crackers listening to the screaming of that cooler on full load.

Then i waited for my other cooler to come off the website.Now i have peace and quiet,besides o/c the hell out of it.

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Curious. I have a very similar looking creature attached to my stock i7-960, and I can
barely hear that it's running.

PappyCain
BDG

Post by PappyCain »

PV - that thing is loud. It starts off ok, then the fan cranks up to 100% and she is loud. I manually pushed the fan speed down to 30% w/ SpeedFan utility and it did get much quieter but the CPU temp started going up. Perhaps your CPU temp runs better than mine?

marine
Technical Sergeant

Post by marine »

PappyCain wrote:PV - that thing is loud. It starts off ok, then the fan cranks up to 100% and she is loud. I manually pushed the fan speed down to 30% w/ SpeedFan utility and it did get much quieter but the CPU temp started going up. Perhaps your CPU temp runs better than mine?
Pappy
That cpu of yours is getting a bit old now,plus the manufacturing process of your cpu being 65NM,which means your cpu gets a lot hotter than PVs cpu,which is
45NM.
The lower the NM no.the cooler it will run,like if you had an E8400,it will be a 45nm,and will run a lot quicker and cooler,but the problem still remains with that stock cooler.
I agree with you about your temps,they will go up if you cut the fan speed down.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”