New PC build project

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
Prem Holdaway
BDG

Re: New PC build project

Post by Prem Holdaway »

marine wrote:Prem Holdaway
Thanks for the info on the 5870,with those fans of yours,i doubt whether you will need a third party cooler,from what you say,the 5870 seems a good stock cooler.

Perhaps when you full load the 5870,you will be able to tell me more about what the temps results are,so meanwhile i will delay buying at the moment,but hope to buy one before xmas to avoid the 20% vat next year.
Hi Marine,

I'm finally satisfied with the testing of the card. In Bob 2, I could not get it to go higher than 61° so I downloaded a program called furmark, which everybody seems to recommend. Using the stress test in it, it pushed the card to 99% use and the temperature maxed out at 77°. Wish I'd known about this program before I changed cards.

If you wish to try the program yourself on your existing card. Here is the URL: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
Prem.

Asus Rog Strix Z690 F WiFi, Intel I9 12900 3200Mhz, 32Gig Mem 5600 DDR5, Asus AMD Radeon RX 6800, 1000W PSU, Windows 11 64bit, TrackIR 5 + Track clip pro, also TrackHat opentrack v3, Hotas Warthog + Viper TQS system & TRP rudder pedals.

marine
Technical Sergeant

Post by marine »

Prem Holdaway wrote:
marine wrote:Prem Holdaway
Thanks for the info on the 5870,with those fans of yours,i doubt whether you will need a third party cooler,from what you say,the 5870 seems a good stock cooler.

Perhaps when you full load the 5870,you will be able to tell me more about what the temps results are,so meanwhile i will delay buying at the moment,but hope to buy one before xmas to avoid the 20% vat next year.
Hi Marine,

I'm finally satisfied with the testing of the card. In Bob 2, I could not get it to go higher than 61° so I downloaded a program called furmark, which everybody seems to recommend. Using the stress test in it, it pushed the card to 99% use and the temperature maxed out at 77°. Wish I'd known about this program before I changed cards.

If you wish to try the program yourself on your existing card. Here is the URL: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
Prem Holdaway
Thanks for the info,and,yes,i have always had this program,but never use it much as i always put a third party cooler on my v/c,so the temps are very low.

It is the software that many people do use to fully test their v/c's,and to stress it.
It sounds like you aren't to happy with your 5870 v/c after the stressing results!

I'm going to sell my 4870 1gb card,bit dubious about it really,as it plays BOB at Max,,just trying to keep up with the times i guess,but it has to stop somewhere,
so this will be my last v/c upgrade,you should have asked me about my v/c,then you could have xfired the 2 of them.
Hope you are happy with your 5870 though,i see ATI 69XX cards are due out next week,probably in the £300-£400 though,overkill really,as their isn't the games out there to max the v/c's out.
you live and learn,and die and forget.

CPU Intel E8400 Core 2 [email protected] O/[email protected] CRUCIAL MEM 6400,V/C Ati 6870 1GB mem,MB GA- p35ds3r,s/c 5.1 santa cruz,Viewsonic 2650 LCD 26" Screen

Prem Holdaway
BDG

Post by Prem Holdaway »

Hi Marine,

okay on already having the program. The program I originally used on my X850XT and the 4870 was on a magazine giveaway CD. Which has now been mislaid due to house renovations.

The reason for deciding on the 5870, was to have the use of the third screen. Like you with the 4870, my Bob 2 was maxed out as well. It is also maxed out with this card as well.

One thing that came with this card, was as software developers Pack. I have yet to check this out to see what's in it as I'm still trying to pin down the Spitfires artificial horizon. I rather suspect and am hoping that it might be useful for the group.
Prem.

Asus Rog Strix Z690 F WiFi, Intel I9 12900 3200Mhz, 32Gig Mem 5600 DDR5, Asus AMD Radeon RX 6800, 1000W PSU, Windows 11 64bit, TrackIR 5 + Track clip pro, also TrackHat opentrack v3, Hotas Warthog + Viper TQS system & TRP rudder pedals.

marine
Technical Sergeant

Post by marine »

Prem Holdaway wrote:Hi Marine,

okay on already having the program. The program I originally used on my X850XT and the 4870 was on a magazine giveaway CD. Which has now been mislaid due to house renovations.

The reason for deciding on the 5870, was to have the use of the third screen. Like you with the 4870, my Bob 2 was maxed out as well. It is also maxed out with this card as well.

One thing that came with this card, was as software developers Pack. I have yet to check this out to see what's in it as I'm still trying to pin down the Spitfires artificial horizon. I rather suspect and am hoping that it might be useful for the group.
Prem Holdaway.

I see your reason now for the 5870,being you can run 3 monitors off it,nice if you have the space,i would like to do that,but haven't the space for it.
Hopefully,you can sort out the spits art horizon,that would be a big plus.

I'm hoping the new ATI's next week will bring down the 6870 v/c's in the next few weeks.
Your 5870 seems to run well with the temps at full blast,so that H/S/F is doing a really good job,you were very wise in getting that model,i would like that on the 6870,but haven't seen one around yet,perhaps "Sapphire" will come out with one.

CPU Intel E8400 Core 2 [email protected] O/[email protected] CRUCIAL MEM 6400,V/C Ati 6870 1GB mem,MB GA- p35ds3r,s/c 5.1 santa cruz,Viewsonic 2650 LCD 26" Screen

SeaVee
BDG

Post by SeaVee »

Just got a couple of GTX570s in SLI.

Gonna keep at least one, maybe both GTX260s for the secondary PC.

If anyone wants to buy my old 8800GTX - still have original retail box etc. and it works fine just PM me and make an offer. I haven't even checked on ebay etc was used 8800GTX are going for right now - I'm sure not too much.
i7-990X Extreme Edition CPU; 12GB DDR3 RAM; ASRock 58X Deluxe mobo; EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 video card; Corsair HX850W PSU; XFi Titanium; 40” 1920X1080 LCD; MS FFB2; TIR 5 Pro; Logitech MX518 mouse; Logitech Z680 speakers; Buttkicker Gamer

PappyCain
BDG

Post by PappyCain »

Hey all - been away for a bit working!

I had a great experience last week when I found a friend in Scotland whose father flew out of Tangmere. Mike has his dad's jacket, hat, and scarf which he bikes with. Next time when I am over there we are going to see a few special places at the museum and what is left of the field. Great stuff.

Ok. Seavee if that thing will work in my PC we can deal. I need a new video card. If not available, I sure would love to hear some recommendations for my rig's spec.

S'
Pappy getting sappy!!
"Was it something I said?" - 'Moggy' Cattermole 'Piece of Cake'
Core 2 Duo E6700, ASUS P5N-E-SLI, 2GB Corsair DDR2 PC6400,ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti, Coolermaster 650W PSU and Case, Audigy 2ZS Platinum, 5.1 Z-640, XP Pro, 22" CHIMEI LCD

PappyCain
BDG

Post by PappyCain »

Oh, the 8800GTX video card that crapped out on me was made by BFG (who shut down rather than honor a bazillion warranties) soz I think another mfgr on that card would be ok (?)... I'll see if Marine and Prem weighs in. Then we fly again!

S'
PC
Core 2 Duo E6700, ASUS P5N-E-SLI, 2GB Corsair DDR2 PC6400,ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti, Coolermaster 650W PSU and Case, Audigy 2ZS Platinum, 5.1 Z-640, XP Pro, 22" CHIMEI LCD

Prem Holdaway
BDG

Post by Prem Holdaway »

Hi Pappy,

It sounds like you may be thinking about a new card. I would go for a much newer model if you can.
Prem.

marine
Technical Sergeant

Post by marine »

PappyCain wrote:Oh, the 8800GTX video card that crapped out on me was made by BFG (who shut down rather than honor a bazillion warranties) soz I think another mfgr on that card would be ok (?)... I'll see if Marine and Prem weighs in. Then we fly again!

S'
PC
PappCain
I agree with Prem on a newer v/c,the 8800GTX is a bit long in the tooth now,perhaps i might suggest a ATI 5870 1mb mem or a ATI 6870 1mb mem as they are pretty cheap,especially where you live,and they will use less power,and much quieter,iv'e just bought a asus 6870,and i can't really hear it on full load,up to you really,a personal choice.Your psu should be able to take any of those choices.

PappyCain
BDG

Post by PappyCain »

Hi Prem and Marine! Long time no see!

Hey if this is the one you recommend I'll order it up. Lemme know.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121401

S'

PC

SeaVee
BDG

Post by SeaVee »

Sorry PC - the old 8800 GTX is going to my little nephew. I agree unless it was dirt cheap you are better off getting a newer card.

I've always been an NVIDIA guy mostly because I think they are a little better with driver updates, etc. Quality wise I doubt there is a big difference between ATI or NVIDIA cards. Alot depends on your budget.

Take a look at this for ideas:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rad ... ,2857.html
i7-990X Extreme Edition CPU; 12GB DDR3 RAM; ASRock 58X Deluxe mobo; EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 video card; Corsair HX850W PSU; XFi Titanium; 40” 1920X1080 LCD; MS FFB2; TIR 5 Pro; Logitech MX518 mouse; Logitech Z680 speakers; Buttkicker Gamer

Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Norforce »

If you fly in FSX then the NVIDIA cards are the way to go as ATI cards have some troubles in FSX
Ron
B-17 AIRFRAME 710 HRS PLUS AND CLIMBING
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

Prem Holdaway
BDG

Post by Prem Holdaway »

Hi Pappy,

Providing it will fit your motherboard, then no problem. I can't remember for certain, but I thought your motherboard was limited to Nvidia cards and SLI. Hopefully I am wrong.

As far as FSX is concerned. I've had no problems with any of the ATI cards that I've had, although not having used Nvidia cards. I wouldn't know what to look for.

Anyhow, good luck with it all and I hope you finally cure your problems.
Prem.

marine
Technical Sergeant

Post by marine »

PappyCain wrote:Hi Prem and Marine! Long time no see!

Hey if this is the one you recommend I'll order it up. Lemme know.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121401

S'

PC
Pappy.
Yes,that is exactly the same one as i have,and the Asus comes with a 3 yr warranty,most of the companies that sells v/cs,comes with 2 yrs warranty,so you will be covered for quite awhile.

If you do buy that one,you will have to make sure (if you aren't doing a fresh OS install,which is usually the best thing to do,but not really need to)you will have to DELETE all your nvidia v/c drivers files,or it will mess up the installation of the ATI v/c.

Go to "Add&Remove" in Control Panel,>Delete Nvidia v/c driver files(NOT Nvidia chipset drivers,if you have any)then "Program files",as there is probably Nvidia v/c drivers in there as well.
You should then go to the registry in winxp to delete Nvidia v/c drivers in there as well,as there is usually some left over v/c files in there,but don't go there if you don't know how to do it,all this has to be done before you install the ATI card.

Sounds long winded,but it only takes a few minutes.
If you don't know about how to do it in the registry,give me a PM,i will tell you how to do it.
Also if you do get the ATI v/c.load the drivers off the cdrom,they are a bit earlier ones,but they are working well with me.They are 10.12 ati drivers.
Hope that helps.

PappyCain
BDG

Post by PappyCain »

Hi all,

The one issue I had with the 8800GTX is it would not allow me to play Jane's WWII Fighters which fully modded is my fav. So if I recall the Asus VC might.

Other than that my 8800GTX was superb until it melted down (solder issue). My SH3 was outstanding!

My PC has been reformatted and nothing prevents me from reformatting again as I stopped using it when the VC was determined to be the fault (never loaded it up with my stuff).

If you fellas can confirm that I do not need nvidia, I will try the Asus. I do recall Prem that you said I could only use Nvidia. I ask for help as I am a pilot, squadron leader, tactician, strategist and not a mechanic! LOL I need help and advisement under the bonnet of my PC.

On the registry, I am comfortable going in with instructions. Actually I am comfortable doing anything with instructions.

Jeez - the price on that card is really cheap. Must be 1/3 what I paid for the 8800GTX. And it is better eh?

Thanks!

I am in the market to buy this week!!

S'
PC

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”