Dunkirk film

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
Trumper
BDG

Dunkirk film

Post by Trumper »

My personal opinion , a great film but watch it as a film and not as an aircraft B o B enthusiast .Must have been horrifying and a large learning curve for the up and coming B o B .
Now i need to read some good books from all the points of view ,air,sea ,land allied and axis if possible.

hellcat44
Senior Airman

Re: Dunkirk film

Post by hellcat44 »

Yeah,,,I'm not a movie goer but Dunkirk will be one of the exceptions.
hellcat

Pat_Pattle
BDG

Post by Pat_Pattle »

What a film! Not the usual war movie and a bit "arty", I think it's stunning.

Did you notice that Sir Michael Caine was the fighter controllers voice, a definite nod to the Battle of Britain movie.

filtonboy
Airman

Post by filtonboy »

Saw it at the Ritz Burnham on Sea on Monday night. A quaint little cinema where ushers still show you to your seats with torches and then come around to sell ice creams from trays hung around their necks. It added to the atmosphere of the film, not that it needed much adding to.

A great film although I have seen lots of negative reviews on IMDB mainly by people who have only heard of the subject matter for the first time.

We had a builder working at our house in the early eighties who was at Dunkirk. He told of being ferried to a destroyer and then being machine gunned whilst on board. I was thinking of him all the way through the film. My mother told me of seeing the soldiers who had returned looking haggard and exhausted.

I thought the film conveyed very well what I had been told by those who were there and those who witnessed their return.

The builder told me how frustrated they were before Dunkirk because they could see the German Stukas practising in the distance, unhindered before any attack had been launched.

f.b.

Trumper
BDG

Post by Trumper »

:( And even more frustrating because home was visible and yet so far away :(

attilla
Senior Airman

Post by attilla »

A great (war) movie.
I think it misses a bit of the confusion on the beaches as one can remember from the books, but i find the aerial scenes very well done and adding to the sheer terror it must have been!
Just loved it.
One only starts to live after seeing the Elephant.

SeaVee
BDG

Post by SeaVee »

Have seen it twice now on 70MM IMAX screens - absolutely great movie.

It's brought me back to dust off BoBII and get back into the air!
i7-990X Extreme Edition CPU; 12GB DDR3 RAM; ASRock 58X Deluxe mobo; EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 video card; Corsair HX850W PSU; XFi Titanium; 40” 1920X1080 LCD; MS FFB2; TIR 5 Pro; Logitech MX518 mouse; Logitech Z680 speakers; Buttkicker Gamer

mudcake
Airman First Class

Post by mudcake »

Seen twice. Great film but what's with using a modern train carriage at the end?

ShadowShooter
Senior Airman

Post by ShadowShooter »

Haven't seen the film. Sounds interesting. But I did recently watch the documentary "Dunkirk: The New Evidence ". It's main subject is the apparent total absence, from the perspective of army and navy personnel there, of the RAF from the skies above them. Veterans commented on the very bitter feelings about the RAF that were expressed at the time. So much so that some pilots who were shot down in the area were angrily refused permission to come aboard naval vessels and warned off or even thrown off. One chap only got on by ditching his RAF uniform! [IIRC there were similar reactions of "Where the hell are our planes?!" during the Japanese attacks on Pearl Harbor and Darwin.]

Of course the program gives the explanation that the RAF was in fact very busy at the time intercepting german bombers and fighters out of sight further inland and so preventing much worse damage. But their reputation was not salvaged till the Battle of Britain.

One interesting thing mentioned was that the vast majority of soldiers were evacuated not by the heroic little flotilla of boats but by large naval ships once they hit on the idea of using some long and narrow breakwaters as makeshift docks.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”