Shockwave able to built their own flightsim?

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
the Dutchman
Technical Sergeant

Shockwave able to built their own flightsim?

Post by the Dutchman »

At least you won't run into unexpected troubles;
BoBII-B17II..for different reasons surely but still..

I'd like to see a totally new flightsim from Shockwave,which theatre?
No idea,maybe a poll would be an idea?

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Coral Sea

Carrier aircraft: Dive bombers, Torpedo bombers, and Fighters. IJN and USN.
Land aircraft: B17's, P39's, P40's from Australian airfields. Betty's from Rabaul.

Catalinas and dive bomber searches for the enemy.
Searches will be the key to winning the Campaign. First sight, first strike!
An enemy AI search pattern code that is sensible, but variable is neccesary,
and may drive the coders to drink!

With a Midway addon later.
Or, maybe simpler to start with Midway as the first sim, Certainly for mapping! :wink:
primo Sea and Weather critical, but no more polluted seas. :P

May not not appeal to the EU folks, but us US and Aussies would love it.
How do we tap into the Nipponese market?

Jethro
Technical Sergeant

Post by Jethro »

The early pacific battles are very attractive even for an Italian like me as well.
Besides, the Mediterranean teathre is going to be covered shortly (and very well IMO) by the MAW/CFS3 guys.

Other episodes of the pacific war that are worth a thought are Port Moresby (I remember a good free add-on campaign for CFS2) and Guadalcanal IMO.

At the end of the day, all the recent pacific sims have turned in a big disappointment for me, a well done one has still to come.

Cheers
J

CatsEyes

Post by CatsEyes »

Ah, yes! You've got me!

I wonder how flexible the BOB2 code is as the basis for a Pacific sim? I'm not sure about the economics of a small firm like Shockwave building a new sim from scratch these days...

Jethro
Technical Sergeant

Post by Jethro »

Hi Cats, correct, don't know how many new WW2 flight sims with a new engine are going to be released (even by big companies) in the next 18 months: just only one maybe?

Regards
J

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

I have a dream ... (oh wait ... wrong personality)

I know what I'd like to see, but I can't state it .... :roll:
Snuffy

the Dutchman
Technical Sergeant

Post by the Dutchman »

I'm not sure about the economics of a small firm like Shockwave building a new sim from scratch these days...
What i was thinking;
let's say Shockwave comes up with an idea that the majority would like to see,but to really bring the project to a good end they will need some extra money,i would not find it a bad idea to become a paying member of the upcoming flightsim community...which in return gives me privaliges like watching progress shots and other stuff?

swambast
Airman

Post by swambast »

Well then for God's sake, put B-17 2 back on the map!
MSI 865PE-NEO2-LS, P4 3.65Ghz NW, 1GB Cruc Ballistix@430Mhz, BFG GeForce 6800 GT, OCZ 600w PowerStream, WD Raptor 10K rpm 36GB, Kingwin Water-Cooling, 51" Hitachi Widescreen HDTV, SB Audigy 2, Saitek X52, CH Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 3

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

CatsEyes wrote:I'm not sure about the economics of a small firm like Shockwave building a new sim from scratch these days...
Rumor has it that Shockwave has developed / is developing an engine to power a combat flight sim.
Snuffy

Point-man
Staff Sergeant

Post by Point-man »

Well I for one would be an investor. I'm not sure just how much I could do but I would give what I could none the less.

Jethro
Technical Sergeant

Post by Jethro »

Mr Berlusconi has been sent back home finally, his project for a new Italian Constitution has been rejected by Italian people, Italian football team won the World Championship and Shockwave is developing a new sim...

2006 is definitely going to be a year to remember for me...

Regards
J
Last edited by Jethro on 23 Jul 2006, 02:19, edited 1 time in total.

isathe
Airman First Class

Post by isathe »

why reinvent the wheel, they will go into lots of troubles to iron out the bugs, i think what shockwave did by taking a broken sim and making it what is today is totally outstanding and unusal in pc gaming.

redsyxx
Airman First Class

Post by redsyxx »

Personally I think things are on the right track with BOB and I would PAY for an addon by making the Ju88 / Do17 or even the 111 / Defiant etc. flyable.....

I thought the future of BoB was in doubt, however after the latest patch I will be playing this for years to come and there is nothing close in the way of flight sims that give you the same feeling. I would like to see the campaign revamped some what, but the things that have been done up to this point are nothing short of amazing. This is really a new game.....

marklaur
Staff Sergeant

Post by marklaur »

I would like to see Shockwave continue to do what they seem to do very well, expand on other titles.

With the next version of flight Simulator have a mission content, and from looking at the oil rig mission video there is some sort of destructible objects.

This could equal a combat expansion for bombers etc in FSX.

Keeping my fingers crossed anyway.

Cheers MarkL

GX007
Senior Airman

Post by GX007 »

NEW SIM? MALTA PLEASE

http://www.sixthscalebattle.com/custom2.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Malta_%281940%29

Well, if I can throw in my 2 pence, I would say make a sim representing the battle for Malta.

The reasons are many but to name a few:

* it can use the same BoB engine, therefore reducing costs and keeping the familiar user interface and experience

* the battle was an air and sea duel over a strategic island in the Med; resupplying it was vital the British as was taking the island by the Axis, therefore Malta could be designed as a strategy-based sim like BoB:WoV

* the Malta battle used many of the plane sets already available in BoB:WoV, so programming Med planes may not be so cost intensive since they might be converted from BoB; yes, some new a/c would need to be added...can you think of any?

* the battle used many merchant and war ships; again, some of these ships could be reused/redesigned from BoB

* the British used aircraft carriers. Okay now, wouldn't you like to fly off/on one of those ladies? :D This aspect of the sim I'm sure would appeal to those naval aviators out there

* the new map and tiling may not be so programming intensive (I'm not an expert here) because the Med Sea surounds the island (water texture tiles); sure, the Italian landscape, etc. would need to be developed.

Well, my argument points to reducing programming costs and risk. It doesn't consider customer interest that drives revenues. We enjoy a very small, market niche sim and developers/distributors are concerned about getting over their heads with red ink. Taking the BoB game engine and its many components might be a low cost-decent ROI for them.

Regards,
gx007

Oh BTW Scott, if you did develop Malta, please include massive B17s and B24s formations that fly out of some base (any where really, you pick) and bomb Axis targets so SNUFFY CAN FINALLY BE HAPPY. :wink:

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”