Shockwave able to built their own flightsim?

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
spitfireace
BDG

Post by spitfireace »

redband_151 wrote:
...even a personalized campaign allowing you to fly for single unit. You know with names for squad mates etc, to really increase the immersion factor.

Tako_kichi wrote:
That's one thing I would like to see too. I have flown other sims that had a career mode where you started as a basic airman and your progress and promotions were based on your performance (or lack of!). It became very immersive as you progressed through the ranks and had more responsibility put on your shoulders as you had to issue more commands to the wingmen, flights and/or squadrons under your command.

I would love that too. !!!

redband_151
BDG

Post by redband_151 »

Yes, but as with a number of things in the game, to change it is a fairly large undertaking.

Redband

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I know, but it's fun to dream :wink: .
Larry
E8400 Core2Duo 3 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GTX460 (1 Gb), Realtek HD O/B audio, XP Pro (SP3)
Saitek X52 HOTAS, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TIR 5 Pro, LG 22" WS LCD, B-K Gamer

Jethro
Technical Sergeant

Post by Jethro »

Hi Lewis, I'm glad you share my enthusiasm for Dunkirk campaign, it has been one of my first readings on the RAF in WWII.
When I was 12 I got a nice book (by Martin Caidin, IIRC), its first episode was about an exciting mission of Sir Stanford Tuck in the inland of Dunkirk during Operation Dynamo and thanks to it I realized why almost all the soldiers on the shores complained the absence of RAF fighters to protect the embarkments: the majority of the British fighters were ordered to engage German aircrafts inland, before they reach the coast.

Finding a sim being able to reproduce such episodes preceding the Battle of Britain itself has been one of my fixed ideas through years indeed, and BoB2 seems to be very close to it.

Regards
J

ricnunes
BDG

Post by ricnunes »

redband_151 wrote:I personally would like to see BOBII brought out to its full glory first, before a new endeavor is started. This could only benefit any subsequent projects. Flyable bombers, rear seater on 110's and ju87's. Campaign completely sorted out, and even a personalized campaign allowing you to fly for single unit. You know with names for squad mates etc, to really increase the immersion factor. Whatever direction Shockwave goes, I will follow. They have proven to be an excellent and responsive organization.

Redband
Yes I agree that before moving towards an addon or even a new game some things should be fixed or added first before moving on. The 2.04 patch is excelent (one of the best patches that I've seen) and it fixes several annoying bugs (such as most of the dreaded CTDs) but there is at least one thing that should get top priority in a future patch/update which is:
- Fix the command orders! If I padlock an aircraft and press R->3->1 "Bandits" then my wingmen should attack the group of the aircraft that I padlocked. If I press R->2->5 "Engage at will" they should engage the planned target at will. And If I press R->6->1 "Begin your run" my wingmen should attack the ground target no matter what. This to me is currently and above all the biggest bug/issue that BoBII currently have. I hope that the devs can fix this (as they did with the CTDs and AI warp manouvers).

- And also I think that other features should be added into a future patch such as (like redband said) flyable bombers (with gunsight modeled) and controllable rear gunners in the Stukas and Me-110s.

ricnunes
BDG

Post by ricnunes »

Bader wrote: Can't help but get misty eyed over the idea of a properly modelled Typhoon.

*sniff*
Hehe, there are a few things in the world as exciting as straffing enemy concentrations (such as tanks) with cannons and rockets flying a Typhoon and sometimes in the between putting an enemy Fw-190 into the 4x20mm cannons sights. :D

Jethro
Technical Sergeant

Post by Jethro »

And the Hurricane and the Typhoon have been both designed by Sir Sydney Camm: now I start to think he was your uncle Bader :lol: .

But I must recognise your very good taste for aircrafts...

Kind regards
J

BM357_TinMan
Senior Airman

Post by BM357_TinMan »

My $.02 on if shockwave would build its own CFS....

I would say that they would do best by approaching Austin with x-plane and inquiring as to the possibility of him allowing them to hack the current engine to allow for damage models and other necessary mods for a cfs.

The engine for x-plane is really good, the entire world is already modeled and can be modded for anytime period if wanted. I know that "planets" can be switched in x-plane because you can fly on mars by switching your planet, so I wouldn't think that having a WWII era planet to switch to would be that big of a deal.

Multiplayer already exists on x-plane, and they are just a step away from supporting 6dof.

If I had the time, talent, people and money, and wanted to develope a CFS, I would use x-plane. With x-plane, you could, after you got the basic CFS codeing down, easily make mods for any theatre, or time period that you wanted to simulate.
BM357_TinMan
My planes of interest:
109E4
P51B/C/D
Would love to see WoP planes in X-Plane

BM357_TinMan
Senior Airman

Post by BM357_TinMan »

Hey, hey, well, well, I don't know very much about this project
http://www.fighterops.com/
but it looks like they are doing kind of what I was talking about.

With certain specific modifications, it looks like they are using the x-plane engine to build their new cfs off of. I may be wrong, but that is what it looks like to me....

So it IS possible after all..... food for thought......
BM357_TinMan
My planes of interest:
109E4
P51B/C/D
Would love to see WoP planes in X-Plane

zoinks
Airman

Post by zoinks »

stickman wrote:Coral Sea

Carrier aircraft: Dive bombers, Torpedo bombers, and Fighters. IJN and USN.
Land aircraft: B17's, P39's, P40's from Australian airfields. Betty's from Rabaul.

Catalinas and dive bomber searches for the enemy.
Searches will be the key to winning the Campaign. First sight, first strike!
An enemy AI search pattern code that is sensible, but variable is neccesary,
and may drive the coders to drink!

With a Midway addon later.
Or, maybe simpler to start with Midway as the first sim, Certainly for mapping! :wink:
primo Sea and Weather critical, but no more polluted seas. :P

May not not appeal to the EU folks, but us US and Aussies would love it.
How do we tap into the Nipponese market?
you took the words right out of my mouth. a great PTO sim would make folks forcibly pull me away from my computer.

Rummy
BDG

Post by Rummy »

New Guinea is next on my list after Burma.... Owen Stanley Range, Buna, Port Morsby :) has late and early war components. Got to have a p38, such a beautiful plane in my book, as is the Zeke. IJN and IJA both operated out of New Guinea at one point or the other so there is a lot of potential here.

I've also thought about Midway too since it would be an easy map to create, just need the objects. :D

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”