MS CFS Terrain textures

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
rafnl01
Airman

MS CFS Terrain textures

Post by rafnl01 »

Hi There,

Does someone managed to use the CFS-textures (like for Bob1 of CFS2) within Bob2 ?
Due to a crash I've lost the convert-tool wich was available by that time.
Bader perhaps? :roll:

BTW: After purchasing a new videocard Bob2 runs without severe errors.
Thanks BDG/ Shockwave and other airmen!

:)

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Were they in X8 format? BoB2 will only use the terrain textures if they are in DDS format. :(

I have not been able to make the old X8 Editor to work anymore. Missing the proper VB06 Runtimes, I think.

the_soupdragon
BDG

Post by the_soupdragon »

are you talking about Axa's terrains by any chance?

If so I have converted it to run in BoBII.

I think this is the terrain you are talking about. I don't use it myself but was just playing around with it.

If you want them let me know. The textures zip int an 800Kb file.

SD[/img]

rafnl01
Airman

Post by rafnl01 »

Hi There,

Thanks for your reply Stickman and Soupdragon. They were in x8 format I recall. You had to convert certain textures from CFS1 to BoB1. The Axa textures are known to me.........If you can sent me the zip-file I'll be gratefull. E-mail adress : [email protected]
Anyone else ideas or hints. On the other hand; how can you actually make this flightsim more perfect as it already seems :D

Reint

HurricaneHicken
BDG

Post by HurricaneHicken »

rafnl01 wrote:On the other hand; how can you actually make this flightsim more perfect as it already seems :D
Reint
Look here:
http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb ... 0;t=000686

Uther at SimHQ has been collecting lots of updates
God save the King!

jamesdietz
Staff Sergeant

Post by jamesdietz »

Can you send 9or post)these ...I'd like to get that quality of color into my landscape....

the_soupdragon
BDG

Post by the_soupdragon »

james get the textures here mate

http://www.btinternet.com/~the_soupdrag ... errain.zip

Just make a copy of your Landmap2 folder and copy the files form this zip into the original overwriting the files already there.

One problem with this terrain set is that the airfields blend into the landscape. I know they did attempt too camoflage the airfields but were they really this good :) Shame about the runways though :D

Maybe it is one of the textures that could be reverted? I don't have the time to go through them to check.

SD

HurricaneHicken
BDG

Post by HurricaneHicken »

If you want to save the airfields from such mutilation, the ones you save are img003.dds and 4, if you have the landscape I host. If you have the standard landscape, save img001.dds,2 ,3 and 4.

Img004.dds is the main one, as that's used for the center bright green section.

The fields look too square for 1940's England IMO. Probably OK for France though.
God save the King!

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

HurricaneHicken wrote:
The fields look too square for 1940's England IMO. Probably OK for France though.
Yes, I'd agree on that one..
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

the_soupdragon
BDG

Post by the_soupdragon »

Cheers mate.
If you use it you may want to keep img30 too to get rid of the awful black runways.

SD

Pat_Pattle
BDG

Post by Pat_Pattle »

They certainly add a new look to the sim and bring some colour. But as has been said the field shapes look wrong or else are scaled to be viewed from higher altitude.

I'll have to give it a try, thanks Nick :)

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

The look is sort of OK for France, but from what I can tell, only somewhat - these are a bit too randomly oriented. The french fields seem to be more like thin parallel rectangles. Not as extreme as in New France though, where the fields were all long thin strips so everyone had a bit of river frontage for shipping.

I would suggest also, looking at those pics, that it would probably be best to open the BoBII image files and look at them, and reassign the names of the replacement files to match the appearance of each BoB file that you're replacing, so you get approximately the same type of image in the same place, ie no plowed fields in the middle of runways, or where the BoB gnomes determined that cow or sheep pasture whould be.

rafnl01
Airman

Post by rafnl01 »

Hi Soupdragon,

The textures look nice :D but I 'm still looking for the MS-CFS zip-file wich I could not download at *watch your six*. .......Anyone?

Thanks for your effort!

Reint

jamesdietz
Staff Sergeant

Post by jamesdietz »

Looks like just the color I'd like to have...but I do have a question...will the next patch (whenever it comes out..)be changing the terrain to be brighter?The dull color of existing terrain is one of the reasons I don't "fly" this great sim as much as say Il-2.... :D

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

No, the terrain will not be getting brighter in the next patch. You are free to add any mods you like, though, that's the beauty of a moddable sim.

The look of things like terrain can be a very personal preference, but one thing I would say is that the view of the North Downs (Northern Surrey) that I have from my window at this very moment has some very muted colours, and that's in strong sunlight.
I personally find the IL2 terrain to be garish, but that's me I guess..
Indeed, there is a nice BoBII mod out at the moment that is actually rather darker than the default terrain. So everyone is in fact right. :)
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”