UFO in action

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
the_soupdragon
BDG

UFO in action

Post by the_soupdragon »

Take a look at this vid (right click and save as)

http://www.btinternet.com/~the_soupdrag ... FO_109.wmv

This is the strange UFOlike behaviour I see every now and then. You will notice that the 109 does a sort of shimmey and then shoots up about 200ft in the air.
I know there is a seperate thread sort of regarding this but I didn't want this to be buried in there.

SD

SaimOn
Senior Airman

Post by SaimOn »

Yep, that is what I call a jump or warp. Thanks for posting as it is a nice reference to demonstrate the problem and makes sure we are all talking about the same.

I've just send a cam file to Buddye as an example and he confirmed at least one jump. How do you record the cam file as wmv? Do you play it and use some sort of screencapturing progi? It could help me to show Buddye the jumps.
2600k ([email protected]), 8GB-Ram, Nvidia GFX570, Win7 Pro 64bit, etc.

Buddye
BDG

Re: UFO in action

Post by Buddye »

the_soupdragon wrote:Take a look at this vid (right click and save as)

http://www.btinternet.com/~the_soupdrag ... FO_109.wmv

This is the strange UFOlike behaviour I see every now and then. You will notice that the 109 does a sort of shimmey and then shoots up about 200ft in the air.
I know there is a seperate thread sort of regarding this but I didn't want this to be buried in there.

SD
I have been begging for weeks and weeks for a video showing UFO/Warp.
Thanks. This just verifies our work.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

the_soupdragon
BDG

Post by the_soupdragon »

Saimon
I used Fraps to record the Cam and Windows Movie maker to create a simple wmv file.

Buddye
Sorry mate. I missed most of the other thread, If I'd have known I would have posted it sooner.
If you want me to get any more let me know.

SD

Oli
Senior Airman

Post by Oli »

I never, never saw that !!!

Just a thing : can't the weather setting have an influence on these warps, when on high ?
I just say that because it seems that weather is on high in the video. I don't fly with weather on high and never had such jumps.

scoochy
Senior Airman

Post by scoochy »

LOL, as I am DLing it, my mouse actually warped to the right of the screen! And I'm at work. Had me laughing a bit, just thought I'd share that.

Also, finally someone has captured a video of what I was talking about back in september :wink: http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... ght=#17847

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

the_soupdragon wrote: Buddye
Sorry mate. I missed most of the other thread, If I'd have known I would have posted it sooner.
If you want me to get any more let me know.
SD
Thanks, our team has been working hard on this problem. So we will interested in a ton of information on this video. Hope you understand.

First, what were you doing (mission, setting, any details you can think of)?

What are your system specs?
Can you reproduce this? Can you get a warp when want?
Where you running with FPS counter? What was the minimum?
Do you have system delays as measured by the minimum FPS counter being (1,2,3)? Some people call it studder.
I understan Frap has a short duration (seconds). How did you capture this?

I am sure we will have other questions but this is a start. Thanks again.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

the_soupdragon
BDG

Post by the_soupdragon »

Buddye
My system Specs:
AMD XP2200+
1Gb Ram
ATI 9700 pro 128Mb

The warping seems to be quite erratic and random in its appearances. Sometimes I can run a whole spate of missions and not see it then it will appear out of nowhere. Sorry I cannot tie it down at the moment but I will try and see if I can narrow it down somewhat.

The minimum fps when running this file is about 22fps but this is running the cam file, not the mission. The warp still happens even with these FPS.

I have seen no noticeable stuttering at all in the game in general and none in this mission. Over the entire 10minutes or so of the mission this was the only time I saw the UFO phenomenon.

Fraps can put a slight overhead on the system but this is a recording of a cam file so it happened as you see it. This is a registred version of Fraps so there are no constraints as to the length or quality of the recording. If you want me to send you the cam file I can.

Hope this has been some help mate.

[Edit] If you want it you can get the cam file here
http://www.btinternet.com/~the_soupdragon/BoB/UFO.rar
It might help [end edit]

SD

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Thanks Soup just a few more. What mission where you running? Looks like a 1-on-1. What options(default?)?

Was the video taken from the cam file or directly from fraps?

You know when you look at the cam file it is just terrible. Makes Soup look like he was just shooting air most of the time (which I actually do when I dog fight) but I know Soup is a good pilot. It would be great to have good and reliable replay function. Any candidates out there who would care to fix it?

Just drop the cam file in your video folder bring up Bob and hit Replay to try it. See if you agree.
Buddye

Tanyrhiew
Airman First Class

Soupy?

Post by Tanyrhiew »

Soupy's a good pilot?

Blimey ;-)

the_soupdragon
BDG

Post by the_soupdragon »

Oi! Tany
Ya cheeky bugger. :evil:

Bud
It was recorded from the cam file using Fraps.
And it was indeed the Turkeyshoot QM.
As for settings which did you have in mind? I have included pics of all of my setting screens.

SD

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Thanks Soup, Just one more What skill level do you select. The default is "poor" on Turkey Shoot (I think) or do you go with "Hero"?
Buddye

the_soupdragon
BDG

Post by the_soupdragon »

I go with the defaults mate. I choose the Turkey shoot and then click fly.

SD

Tanyrhiew
Airman First Class

Post by Tanyrhiew »

I knew he'd fall for that one...

Good to see the UFO/warps are being dealt with, I hope induced spins are on the cards too.

Keep up the good work chaps!

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Tanyrhiew wrote:I knew he'd fall for that one...

Good to see the UFO/warps are being dealt with, I hope induced spins are on the cards too.

Keep up the good work chaps!
Your talking about the player's A/C spinning I assume. The AI A/C already spin both on purpose and by accident requiring a spin recovery so they do not crash. We have spent many hours fixing/smoothing the AI maneuvres so they do not spin as much, however.

What kind of spins you looking to get for the player A/C?
Buddye

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”