Game running badly on new specs

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
Spitfire76
Senior Airman

Game running badly on new specs

Post by Spitfire76 »

I've recently upgraded most of my system - specs in my sig. The only old component is the GPU.

I loaded up the game and it ran like crap - ten times worse than before my upgrade - so I decided to reinstall Windows; I had changed to a new motherboard after all. After that, the game ran as smooth as anything on pretty much maximum settings on 'Battle of Britain Day' mission. Then I tried to install some mods - and ever since then, the game is running like crap again. I tried reinstalling the game and v2.12/multiskin - no joy. What's going on here and how do I sort it out?

Incidentally, I also tried Cliffs of Dover and that ran well so I don't think there's anything wrong with the hardware.

Thanks in advance. :)
Last edited by Spitfire76 on 11 Jan 2014, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
Mobo: Gigabyte Z87-DS3H
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K 3.40ghz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660
RAM: 16gb Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz
Sound: Audigy 4
O/S: Windows 10
PSU: Corsair TX650v2

AKA Stuffy7634

Spitfire76
Senior Airman

Re: Game running on new specs

Post by Spitfire76 »

No one have any idea? This is not only annoying, but also a bit strange.

AKA Stuffy7634

Racoon
Senior Airman

Post by Racoon »

Spitfire76 wrote:No one have any idea? This is not only annoying, but also a bit strange.
I don't see video card in your upgraded parts list. Don't expect great results if you're relying on motherboard's built-in graphic card!

Cheers.

Spitfire76
Senior Airman

Post by Spitfire76 »

Racoon wrote:
Spitfire76 wrote:No one have any idea? This is not only annoying, but also a bit strange.
I don't see video card in your upgraded parts list. Don't expect great results if you're relying on motherboard's built-in graphic card!

Cheers.
Re-read my post: The game was running at an average of 40-50fps or higher before I tried installing the mods, with a minimum fps of not less than 20-15 which was sufficient for there to be no slowdown at all. My post also states that I didn't upgrade my GPU, which obviously means it's still part of my system; it's clearly stated in my sig. Do you really think I'd throw this much money at my system and then allow it to be totally hamstrung by a crappy onboard GPU? ;)

I tried defragging the drive where the game is installed, but that made no difference. I have also ensured that the motherboard's onboard GPU has been disabled in case that is causing the game to somehow use that instead of my 6850, but that made no difference (leaving it enabled made no difference either).

AKA Stuffy7634

Spitfire76
Senior Airman

Post by Spitfire76 »

Here's something even more strange: when flying around, the game runs like crap but when you crash the plane and the view just spins round and round, it's as smooth as can be. That is the case whether there are two planes or a hundred in the sky. Same thing if you jump out.

I just want to find out why the game was running so beautifully and now it's running like crap! Other games are fine.

AKA Stuffy7634

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Does the fps get better after you remove the mods? Remove them to see if the problem is with one or some of them.
I have never seen any drop in fps after using a mod yet. I have tried almost all of them.

----------------------

Here is a recent story of mine that is also a bit strange, and that has never happened to me before:

Several months ago my computer started using a hellacious amount of CPU usage after starting the computer. Unusable.
Two computer restarts would quiet the CPU usage down OK normally. :?: I suffered with that for longer than I should. BoBII still OK.

Last November I went on vacation back to my mother's house for a family visit. I had my son stay at my house, watching it while gone.
Told him about the problem I had.

Got back home, and he said that he upgraded the AMD drivers for my AMD Radeon Graphics boards.
Now the computer works as should be, no crazy hellacious CPU usage as before. :)
However... in BoBII now, when looking at the ground or the sea, I have a drop in fps down to 22 fps! Only when looking at the ground or the sea, no matter if using stock terrain or my terrain mod. 2048 texture size or 1024 texture size. Looking at everything else OK. :?:

This is with the AMD 13-9_win7_win8_64.......... drivers BTW.
Win8? I don't like the sound of that! :wink:
I will install some older AMD drivers this weekend to see if I can get my BoBII fps back good like it was before, and that will not drive my CPU usage crazy nuts!

-------------------------------------------
Here are my current system specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 (Quad Core) CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz
MOTHERBOARD: DELL Model 0T568R
MEMORY: 8 GB (4 each Elpida, 2GB @ 1GHz)
GFX: ATI Radeon HD 5700 - 1GB memory
SOUND: On board Realtek

Joy Stick: SAITEK X52
TrackIR: no

Racoon
Senior Airman

Post by Racoon »

Spitfire76 wrote: Re-read my post: My post also states that I didn't upgrade my GPU, which obviously means it's still part of my system; it's clearly stated in my sig. Do you really think I'd throw this much money at my system and then allow it to be totally hamstrung by a crappy onboard GPU? ;)
Dear Spitfire76, thanks for your kind reply, only I wish you applied your own logic to yourself before letting your cannons loose towards someone who meant to help you! That is, do you really think I'd use the word "video card" if I was familiar with the abbreviation "GPU"?
And the reason for my question was because it's a very common occurrence among people who run other games on their brand new PCs (with on board video card only) but can't run BOBII.

Good luck :wink:

SNAFU 1
Airman

Post by SNAFU 1 »

Do you have particle density set above medium. If so that can kill fps and should be set no higher than medium. Just a thought.

Spitfire76
Senior Airman

Post by Spitfire76 »

SNAFU 1 wrote:Do you have particle density set above medium. If so that can kill fps and should be set no higher than medium. Just a thought.

It's worth a try, but I'm sure I had that set at medium or lower before. I'll check it out though.
stickman wrote:Does the fps get better after you remove the mods? Remove them to see if the problem is with one or some of them.
I have never seen any drop in fps after using a mod yet. I have tried almost all of them.

----------------------
Here is a recent story of mine that is also a bit strange, and that has never happened to me before:

Several months ago my computer started using a hellacious amount of CPU usage after starting the computer. Unusable.
Two computer restarts would quiet the CPU usage down OK normally. :?: I suffered with that for longer than I should. BoBII still OK.

Last November I went on vacation back to my mother's house for a family visit. I had my son stay at my house, watching it while gone.
Told him about the problem I had.

Got back home, and he said that he upgraded the AMD drivers for my AMD Radeon Graphics boards.
Now the computer works as should be, no crazy hellacious CPU usage as before. :)
However... in BoBII now, when looking at the ground or the sea, I have a drop in fps down to 22 fps! Only when looking at the ground or the sea, no matter if using stock terrain or my terrain mod. 2048 texture size or 1024 texture size. Looking at everything else OK. :?:

This is with the AMD 13-9_win7_win8_64.......... drivers BTW.
Win8? I don't like the sound of that! :wink:
I will install some older AMD drivers this weekend to see if I can get my BoBII fps back good like it was before, and that will not drive my CPU usage crazy nuts!

-------------------------------------------
Here are my current system specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 (Quad Core) CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz
MOTHERBOARD: DELL Model 0T568R
MEMORY: 8 GB (4 each Elpida, 2GB @ 1GHz)
GFX: ATI Radeon HD 5700 - 1GB memory
SOUND: On board Realtek

Joy Stick: SAITEK X52
TrackIR: no
Soooo.... it could be the newer AMD driver causing this annoyance. I never thought of that - thanks, I'll give it a try. :)

Regarding the mods, I tried running with a completely fresh install - not even v2.12 and it still ran like garbage. Your idea about the driver sounds promising. Which driver did the job in the end? I've tried a couple of older drivers; one refuses to install and the other causes the game not to work at all. I might see what happens if I just use the driver that Windows downloads; it's worth a try as nothing else seems to be working.
Dear Spitfire76, thanks for your kind reply, only I wish you applied your own logic to yourself before letting your cannons loose towards someone who meant to help you! That is, do you really think I'd use the word "video card" if I was familiar with the abbreviation "GPU"?
And the reason for my question was because it's a very common occurrence among people who run other games on their brand new PCs (with on board video card only) but can't run BOBII.

Good luck :wink:
Sorry - I honestly thought that most people knew what a 'GPU' was. Thanks for trying to help; my reply might have appeared harsh but that wasn't the intention. :)

AKA Stuffy7634

hellcat44
Senior Airman

Post by hellcat44 »

Spitfire76 wrote:Here's something even more strange: when flying around, the game runs like crap but when you crash the plane and the view just spins round and round, it's as smooth as can be. That is the case whether there are two planes or a hundred in the sky. Same thing if you jump out.

I just want to find out why the game was running so beautifully and now it's running like crap! Other games are fine.
The spinning is what BoB does.
:arrow: The generic answer to your other problem is that BoB is a very high maintenance fellow.
If not for his good qualities, I would have would have long ago resigned him to the dustbin.
hellcat

Spitfire76
Senior Airman

Post by Spitfire76 »

hellcat44 wrote:
Spitfire76 wrote:Here's something even more strange: when flying around, the game runs like crap but when you crash the plane and the view just spins round and round, it's as smooth as can be. That is the case whether there are two planes or a hundred in the sky. Same thing if you jump out.

The spinning is what BoB does.
:arrow: The generic answer to your other problem is that BoB is a very high maintenance fellow.
If not for his good qualities, I would have would have long ago resigned him to the dustbin.
The point is, when I either crash the plane, or jump out it runs as smooth as silk, even with hundreds of planes around. When I'm actually trying to fly though, it runs at about 1fps!

As I said though, it was running fine before - more than fine, it was like being there it was that smooth. Now it is entirely unplayable - it's worse than it was with my old Core 2 Quad configuration. And it doesn't look like Windows is going to let me install older ATI drivers. When I try and install any driver other than the very latest one, either it causes AMD's CCC and the game itself not to work at all, or I get the following message:

Maybe I'll give it a shot in safe mode.

AKA Stuffy7634

Spitfire76
Senior Airman

Re: Game running badly on new specs

Post by Spitfire76 »

Ok, I removed all the drivers, let Windows choose my AMD driver and now the game is running beautifully again. I'm going to try with v2.12 now - I'm using the vanilla game right now and as we all know, that has its issues. ;) After that, I might try the mods again but I'm a bit worried the same damn thing will happen again!

AKA Stuffy7634

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Focus on one thing at a time. Then test and test. The game will perform on your PC when you get all the set-up completed.

It sounds like you messed up the Graphics drivers and that resulted in you last big issue.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Spitfire76
Senior Airman

Post by Spitfire76 »

Buddye wrote:Focus on one thing at a time. Then test and test. The game will perform on your PC when you get all the set-up completed.

It sounds like you messed up the Graphics drivers and that resulted in you last big issue.
Ha ha, sounds like I spoke too soon. All I did was restart the system and now the game's running like crap again - vanilla, not v2.12. When you say focus on one thing at a time, what do you mean? I've even tried turning absolutely everything down to the minimum and it still runs at 1fps; what are the other things I can test? What I don't get is how can the damn graphics drivers tell the difference between when you're flying the plane and when you're floating down in your parachute because when I do the latter, the game runs perfectly!

This is seriously beginning to piss me off. There are of course other games that will take advantage of my new specs, but this game was the one I was most looking forwards to playing. I know only too well how good the game should run - I've already had a sneak preview!

AKA Stuffy7634

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

I had problems with my vid card drivers and ended up having to manually uninstall everything that had to do with the graphic card, including a hard drive search of files for the card, then restarted the computer and re installed the drivers. It fixed my problem, hope this helps.

I run a ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series

Tug :)

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”