Game crashed.

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
bernard8950
Senior Airman

Game crashed.

Post by bernard8950 »

Have just returned to play BOB2 again after having left it for about a year. Still a fantastic flight sim: the best so far. Unfortunately the game crashed. Just updated it to 2.12 patch. Did not have this problem with patch 2.11. But this may not necessarily be the 2.12 patch. Have also been playing Trike Fighters Gold - Israeli Air Force recently without any problems.

My specs: WINDOW XP
ASUS P5Q PRO TURBO mobo
INTEL DUO CORE E8400 3.OOGHZ
ATI RADEON 4800 GRAPDHIC CARD 1.024GB
RAM 4GB

I was playing instant action when it crashed with a black screen background with this information:
"OUT OF RANGE"
INPUT 1:DVI -D
110. 1KHZ/110KHZ.

Had to turn the mains off to reboot the pc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
PANTHIAS

Buddye
BDG

Re: Game crashed.

Post by Buddye »

Strange, as I can not find this error message in the BOBII code. Did you copy all the text exactly?

Look in file crashlog.txt in your BOBII folder and see if you have a crashlog. Please post the first 20 lines in this thread for me.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

TigerMoth
Senior Airman

Post by TigerMoth »

Hi Bernard,

This is likely an issue with your graphics card. Look at this thread:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=2294777

There is test software to check your hardware and monitor temperatures. In this users case, it appears to be CPU or GPU overheating.

TM
----------------------------------
Gateway FX6831-03
i7 (860) 2.80 Ghz - 8GB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 5800 - 1GB Ram
Windows 7 (64-bit)

bernard8950
Senior Airman

Post by bernard8950 »

Thanks for your replies, Buddeye and TigerMoth.
I found the crashlog. text but it's in 2010. Should there a more recent one?

There may be something the graphic card issue. I had just recently updated the driver before playing this game. My GPU temp runs betweem 75-80C. I have also recently dusted the inside of the pc. Perhaps if I could revert the card driver to the previous one and then see what happens.
PANTHIAS

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

The messages you got are definitely video related. A black screen
with that message was almost certainly generated by your monitor
advising that the card wasn't sending it usable video signal. The
sim and computer in general likely didn't crash, only the vid card.

bernard8950
Senior Airman

Post by bernard8950 »

I did suspect the problem was with the video card. Any advice on how I can address this problem ? It would be great if there was something I could do about it.
PANTHIAS

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

As a first step , clean the dust out of your PC.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

bernard8950
Senior Airman

Post by bernard8950 »

Insides of the the pc have been cleaned out. Here are the readings for the GPU Temp:
GPU TEMP:80C
GPU TEMP(DISPIO 57C)
GPU TEMP(MEMIO 79C)
GPU TEMP(SHADE CORE 67C)
PANTHIAS

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Do you still get the same error running BOBII after you cleaned it up?
Buddye

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Not sure what bernard's problems are. System?
Hell! I ain't dusted out my computer since I bought it back in April of 2011! Maybe I should clean house a little more often. :oops:
I will unplug the thing and inspect. Probably will not be a pretty picture. Certainly not a white glove inspection.

Anyway.. let me send a report and my advise on how to avoid UNKNOWN CTD's.

Using BoBII v2.12 or now... testing v2.13 for several months in Campaign, often with 30+ minutes of flying in 3D,
I only get CTD's when using MultiSkin. Never had a CTD when MultiSkin was DISABLED.
This is not from bad code written into MultiSkin that I can detect, but mostly because my computer just cannot handle MultiSkin + all the GFX and bdg.txt settings set up to Maximum.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buddye,
These CTD's have always been of the UNKNOWN, drawloop kind of CTD's that do not point to anything in BoBII.
My computer just gets over-loaded if I use MultiSkin and all my GFX settings set up to Max settings.
Sometimes. With particular aircraft types too, that dump crap and seemingly false error messages into the bdg.out file.
I am not liking this bdg.out file anymore. It used to serve a purpose finding problems long ago.
Now it seems to do more harm than help! If I see anything written into it, and it fills up with hundreds of lines quickly, with utter crap false-hoods, using some aircraft,
I delete the damned thing.
It will spawn anew next time I play.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I have reduced some More GFX settings from install given, to like this. These settings help me use MultiSkin and avoid CTD's better,
but not completely.
If I do not use MultiSkin, and set these GFX settings up to Max, I have not had a CTD in 5 months using v2.13 beta.

> More GFX

Filtering - 8x Anisotropic
Smoke Effects -On
Texture Quality - High

Routes - On
A/C shadows - Off.
(I don't need aircraft shadows, in fact.. they are kind of distracting)
Item Shadows - Off.
(I don't need anymore shadows, I have one of my own. It reminds me when I need a haircut when the wind blows!)
Horizon Distance - High.
(some UK folks think a hazy Medium is a better real setting?)
Object Quality - High.
(I cannot see much difference between Maximum or High.)
Ground Object Density - High.
(I usually set this to Full when not using MultiSkin. What do you want to see? Ground objects or aircraft skins?)
Particle Density - Low.
(Medium is the highest that this ever be set at. Low is just as good as Medium to me.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bdg.txt file settings using MULTI_SKIN_MODE=ENABLE :

SMOOTHEN_FRAMERATE_MODE=LIMITED
This limits all frame rates to a maximum of 33 fps. That is all my eyes need or can see.

LANDSCAPE_TEXTURE_SIZE = 1024
The other choice is texture sizes of 2048. Hard for me to see any difference except close up to the ground.

ADD_SHEEP_COWS_AND_HAYSTACKS=OFF

I was raised in Montana and seen enough cattle to last me a lifetime! Saw few sheep, but my first job at 14 years old was to muck out a big under ground pig shed.
Easily done, pitch-forking out stinking dead piglets and all..

Reload_LT_BRIT_3_7IN_Gun = 4000.000000 #The Reload Time in CSeconds (Csec/100 = sec)for the British 3.7 inch gun.
Reload_LT_BRIT_4_5IN_Gun = 4000.000000 #The Reload Time in CSeconds (Csec/100 = sec)for the British 4.5 inch gun.

Stock settings for v2.12 are at 2400.000000. At Southampton (39 HAA guns) and Portsmouth (44 HAA guns) this 24 second rate of fire is INTENSE! Too intense, I think.
Also, each time a 3.7" HAA gun fires, it produces two flak bursts, like they are all double-barrelled guns. Not good.
So.. I am reducing the HAA gun rate of fire more.. so that rate of fire is at 40 seconds per gun. Also considering that loading an ex-naval 4.5" gun is not easy.
My LW level bombers still take flak killed casualties over Southampton and Portsmouth. With a Gruppe of level bombers I am seeing 3 or 4 bombers blasted down by HAA flak. OK.

Do_You_Want_Flak_And_AAA_Fire_if_Friendly_within_1000_Meters=OFF # ON = Flak and AAA when friendly is within 1000 meters or OFF = No Flak and AAA fire when friendly is within 1000 meters
If you are flying RAF against bombers and the heavy flak around Southampton and Portsmouth scares you, and also burdens frame rates somewhat, then you might like to set this to OFF.
Setting it OFF helps the LW avoid flak casualties, though.

------

Trees:

You might need to stop the Auto-Generation of forest trees. I never do. I like this tree auto-gen. This AutoGen of trees does not normally drag down frame rates except at heavily forested areas.
To turn it off, set your bdg.txt file lines like this:

ENABLE_FOREST_RIM_TREES=OFF

# AutoGen stuff (experimental):
ENABLE_AUTO_GEN=OFF
TEMP_AG_SN[15,1]=1192
TEMP_AG_SN[15,2]=62

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other trees:

In the ObjectAdds folder, I always delete some files that drag my frame rates down to an unacceptable level.
The files that are named TREES-Hawkinge=IMGxxxx and TREES-Manston=IMGxxxx, I always delete those files from the ObjectAdds folder.
Just too many individual trees that the computer has to draw out. Not good for frame rates.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My computer:

Dell computer, store bought off the shelf, in April, 2011:

CPU: Intel Core i7 860 (Quad Core) CPU @ 2.80GHz
MOTHERBOARD: DELL Model 0T568R
MEMORY: 8 GB (4 each Elpida, 2GB @ 1GHz)
GFX: ATI Radeon HD 5700 - 1GB memory
SOUND: On board Realtek
Joy Stick: SAITEK X52
TrackIR: no

----Radeon settings:

SMOOTHVISION HD Anti-Aliasing = 4X
SMOOTHVISION HD Anisotropic Filtering = Use application settings (8x)
Catalyst AI = Advanced
Wait for vertical refresh = Always On
Anti-Aliasing Mode = Mulit-sample AA (Performance)

bernard8950
Senior Airman

Post by bernard8950 »

I don't know what's going on. Played for a solid hour & no ctd or unwelcomed messages. GPU Temp= 81C
PANTHIAS

bernard8950
Senior Airman

Post by bernard8950 »

I'm playing the RAF campaign at the momet & everything was fine until I chased the enemy planes all the way to the French coast & it all went black but the game somehow returned on its own again. No more screen blackouts if I keep away from the French coast. That was good as I shot a few enemy planes while they were preparing to land. Don't know if I'm supposed to do that. Historically, this never happened, I believe.
PANTHIAS

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”