O/T DO 17 Salvage Begins

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
Baza
BDG

O/T DO 17 Salvage Begins

Post by Baza »

I saw a report that this Dornier had been found on the Goodwin Sands some months ago:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/dornier-17-bom ... ml#xQES0Oa
Barry

ASUS P5N32-E-SLI; Core2 Extreme QX6850(3GHz, 1333MHz FSB); 2xNVIDIA 8800 Ultra 768MB SLI; 2GB RAM PC6400 DDR2/800; Vista SP2; DX10; TIR5; mod MSFF2; Saitek Pro Flight - Quadrant, Pedals & Headset; TFS2; VAC; Dell 30"(2560x1600@60 hz)

PV
BDG

Re: O/T DO 17 Salvage Begins

Post by PV »

I expect what they'll manage to extract will be what a friend of
mine would describe as a "homeopathic tincture" of an airplane.
75 years in salt water is not particularly compatible with metallic
aluminum.

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Good news!
Even if only a few pieces can be recovered. Not many Dornier 17 aircraft swimming about these days.
Would be nice to see one salvaged and rebuilt.

This would be a good war trophy for the UK to raise up:

After receiving new information, I have been rebuilding Sheerness Docks, Blue Town, and just finished Sheerness town, down to too much detail!
Forgive my current obsession with English geography, but for BoBII, I try to find and reproduce "the real thing".
Where the hell is Goodwin Sands?
Ok, I found it! :D I know where Ramsgate, Deal, and South Foreland are.
Goodwin Sands shallowed out between them, OK!

The historian's motto is "Learn Something New Every Day! No Matter How Insignificant!"
The (unofficial) and enlisted man's US Marine Corp motto is "Kill Something Every Day, No Matter How Insignificant!"
These mottos remain, and sometimes conflict with each other. Bloody Hell!
My working day's Instrument & Mechanic's motto is "Fix Something Every Day, No Matter How Insignificant!"

Goodwin Sands? OK, I know where it is now, today.

Raise it up, and reproduce it!
A good trophy to hang over your fire place! :D

Old Dux
Airman First Class

Post by Old Dux »

However unlikely it may seem, there must remain the chance that other such relics could eventually be discovered - or parts thereof.

Sadly, the last serving Dornier Do17Z-1 and Z-3s were carved up in Finland with five being scrapped on 19/8/52 but they also served with various Balkan air forces with four in Bulgaria. Fate unknown. What price now?
"When you climb into your Spitfire and the Merlin starts with a thunderous roar, you just know you can never be shot down. Not ever."

P/O Archie Winskill DFC & Bar. 73 & 603 Squadrons. Rtd., Air Commodore 1968.

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

All historical artifacts are priceless
in that they provide physical proof
to the younger generations
that such things actually existed
and not only in the old story books.

During the Cheney-Bush Republican administration's invasion of Iraq
(when was it? I guess we would all like to forget that it ever happened, except the Wounded Warriors slain there!)
and the US Army spearhead, 3rd Division, reached and "liberated" the gutted and looted Oil Ministry Building.
Bush then declared "Mission Completed!" :roll:

Meanwhile.. The National Museum of Iraq that held some absolutely priceless ancient artifacts
that is the heritage of the Western World
was looted and trashed. :twisted:
What? Could not even one Infantry Company of 100 US soldiers be split off and sent to the National Museum of Iraq to protect it!!!??
Nope. No way. Not necessary. :roll: I was pissed off!
Then I knew where the Republican Cheney-Bush administration's priorities were. Not Weapons of Mass Destruction Bull$hit
My eldest daughter, Lorraine said it best when I saw that museum looted on the news.
"I told you Daddy, and you should know better than me, this stupid war is all about OIL!"

I have high hopes for my children's generation. I tried to teach my own well to the truth.
Hope it all works out OK, but for every intelligent person, there are 1000 ignorant apes on this animal planet!

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”