Man, this game is difficult

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
limey75
Airman Basic

Man, this game is difficult

Post by limey75 »

Just got this today and applied the 2.11 patch and the multiskin. I'm using the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick.

Been trying some take-off and landing scenarios and also some intercept scenarios. It's easy enough to take off. But I'm not sure on the landing scenario *where* I'm supposed to land exactly. I guess I haven't mastered using the air direction indicator (sorry if I got the term wrong). It's easy enough to land in a field, though, using the behind-plane view. How do I find the airfield?

Had a go at some bomber-intercept missions but find them difficult in general. Can't really get up close to the bombers and when I do I tend to just shoot past them. I find handling the Spit much more difficult than I imagined and find it hard to focus and stay fixed on one particular target. Even when there's a mass of planes in the air I find it difficult to stay around the action, I tend to lose any good position I had very quickly.

Anyone played European Air War? I found that much easier, and was able to shoot down bombers. But of course it was much more arcade, unlike this game, which is a sim.

Does anyone have any general tips on direction finding, landing, interception? Will I ever get better at this game? Or is it only for hard-core, experienced flight sim players?

Thanks!

MadRobbie1
BDG

Re: Man, this game is difficult

Post by MadRobbie1 »

Welcome to the summer of 1940 limey75!

....and welcome to the forums too. You've found a good crowd here to hang with :wink:

Firstly, and most importantly - you will get better at combat flying in BoBII. You just need to keep at it. Practice, practice, practice 8)
Secondly, fly the game how you want, set it up how you want. You won't find anyone here calling you names or questioning your manliness for using icons, labels etc when you talk about your exploits in the game, and the use of PADLOCK is an essential part of being a successful combat pilot and fighter leader because of how the game is designed. Everyone here involved with BoBII will just be pleased to know you're flying it, having fun and hopefully learning about the history of the Battle itself as you do it :wink:

BTW, if I mention any keys or options below, I'll use the default keys.

Use the info line at the bottom of the screen to assist in getting your heading (I to toggle through the options).
Have you tried using the radio yet? Easiest way to find a lead back to your base is to ask the tower. Give them a call and they'll give you a heading (may also call it a vector) to steer to and a estimate of distance to fly (R > 5 > 2). You can keep asking them too as they never seem to get bored of updating you when asked. For now ask for a directions every couple of minutes to help keep you on track as it's easy to drift off course. If your home airfield is too far (say you're battle damaged), then ask for the nearest RAF fighter base (R > 5 > 3). You can also decare an emergency (R > 5 > 1) which will get you to the nearest airfield whether it be Fighter Command, Bomber Command or Fleet Air Arm. You can also use the map (M) and try padlock view for waypoints (F4 = next waypoint, SHIFT+F4 = previous waypoint), or when the tower responds to your request hit the padlock subject of last message (F5) and this will fix your gaze to the direction of the airfield to land at. To turn off padlock views, press (ESC).

With the landing training mission, if you're flying for the RAF you can be based at Debden, Kenley, Biggin Hill or Tangmere. You can set this under the mission parameters also with the weather conditions, time of day and aircraft/squadron you wish to fly with.
The training/single missions are completely independant for the campaign, so whatever you do there will have no effect on any campaign you fly (strategically). They are there to soley help provide experience in flying and fighting.

RAF airfields are deliberately difficult to spot from the air, most of them are just grass fields anyway. Landing and takeoff direction is down to the individual pilot and how they interpret instructions from the tower. Even if the airfield has a hardened runway, you won't get chastised for not using it if the circumstances dictate.
You'll also find flying solo and the respective airfield operations a very different and somewhat leisurely experience to a squadron scramble once in a campaign!
When in a squadron scramble, as soon as you're up the squadron leader will likely make a call. Padlock him as quickly as possible (F5) to help you get into formation and navigate your route.
If you keep losing sight of the leader or the formation, just ask for a position update (R > 1 > 2), then padlock (F5) when the leader replies.

Landing can be troublesome, it's just down to learning and understanding the aircraft you're in. The landing speeds will be slow - under 100mph. Once the flaps and gear is down, you'll probably find your pitch (elevator) trim is wound all the way up to keep the nose from sinking. Make sure the prop pitch lever is all the way forward too (also for takeoff). Once you're down, chop the trottle completely and once the tail wheel touches the ground keep the stick pulled back and blip the wheel brakes rather than hold them down in one long burst.
Practice in the Hurricane first. It's much more forgiving than the Spitfire.
Remember if you want to do circuits & bumps, get the flaps fully up and the pitch trim neutral sharpish before hitting takeoff speed again!

Don't be discouraged about the difficulties of air combat in BoBII. It isn't meant to be easy... it wasn't in real life. There is no set skill for your allies or enemy - you'll meet rookies, veterans and aces all mixed up... and all of them will be capable of keeping you busy and guessing what they'll do next.
Of all the RAF aircrews involved in the Battle, only a small percentage of them actually claimed aircraft destroyed. Even fewer became 'Aces'. Your job as an RAF fighter pilot is to prevent the Luftwaffe from bombing targets. If you can harass a bomber formation and make them abort their mission due to damaging the lead aircraft or a handful of bombers in the formation, you've done your job. If you knock any out the sky in the process, consider that a bonus - and a well earned bonus at that.
Same with keeping enemy fighter formations busy. If you kill a 109 or a 110 it's a treat. Keeping them so busy they can't afford the time to line up a shot on the RAF fighters that are taking pot-shots at the bombers is the aim of the game.
It's not unrealistic to say you can play a campaign for the RAF, fly 3 or 4 combat missions each day, survive the Battle from July to September, defeat the Luftwaffe, and still have no confirmed kills in your log book.

If you do dogfight, don't be afraid to abuse the throttle and the prop pitch. As long as you can get your aircraft back on the ground, she'll be repaired (eventually).
Once a fight is joined, it generally turns into a free-for-all. Normally there are so many aircraft up you can't sit back and take your time over tactics... just keep weaving and snap shots at targets that pass your nose.
Flying for the RAF, you'll often be at a disadvantage. You'll get caught in the climb or find you'll be outnumbered by enemy fighters before you get anywhere near the bombers. It can be a very desperate battle, and sometimes the situation will feel quite hopeless.
As for taking on the bombers - keep that speed up! Try to avoid the temptation of saddling up behind a bomber and picking it to pieces. It won't be long before you end up coming home in a parachute if you do that too often. Slashing attacks, quick bursts and go for the formation leaders if you can identify them.
Try changing the convergence distance of your guns. Go to the options, then ADV.>GAME and then type in the distance you want to try. The distance is set in yards. 1 yard = 0.9144 meters or equal to 3 feet.

For combat, try flying as a wingman for a bit (number 2 or 3 in a section) rather than a leader. Let the squadron leader call out the contacts and then experiment using padlock and different radio calls for targeting the correct formation for attacking. Call out targets where possible - don't leave it all up to the squadron leader. Follow the leader and see what he does. Listen to the radio calls as they come in and make sure you remember your call sign and that of the squadron you're with. And don't fly straight and level once you're in combat. I would also highly recommend having mid-air collisions (with the enemy) turned ON but turning the option for collisions with friendly aircraft OFF. The enemy are a big enough threat as it is without the chance of ramming a wingman should the formation suddenly change direction catching you off guard! :lol:
Just don't feel you're obliged to knock everything out the sky. It just won't happen! Attack the enemy, support any friendly aircraft if in trouble, get back home in one piece (or as few as possible) ready to take to the air for the next scramble.

So keep at it and keep the questions coming if you need any help at all whether it be about flying the aircraft, setting up controls or just trying to hunt down an option in the game menus. A helping hand is never very far away :D

Cheers!
Rob
Win10 Home 64bit; i7-8700 3.2GHz, 32GB RAM, GTX1070 8GB, x2 500GB SSD, x1 2TB HDD, Track IR5.
Saitek: X-55, ProPedals, Throttle Quadrant, x2 ProGamer pads; VRInsight TT Panel.

All A2A aircraft, Accufeel and Aircraft Factory Corsair/P-51/Anson.

stalkervision
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by stalkervision »

Start with the quick missions and work from there first. :wink:

it is always better to have some fun right away then wait. :)

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

limey75,

F3 key press will give you Next Ground Target, which if you fly Landing, or better yet for landing practice.. Circuits
will give you a Padlocked view of the airfield you are near.
Also, if you press Shift-T, then a red diamond is written on your padlocked target view.

Use Circuits to practice landings. Circle the airfield a time or two, bleed off altitude and speed,
then go in to land.

limey75
Airman Basic

Post by limey75 »

Many thanks, guys. Especially to MadRobbie1 for your long and detailed reply! I can see the support on these forums is excellent.
One only needs to read the 2.10 PDF manual to see how much work the publishers and the dedicated team has put into this game. It's amazing the attention to detail and the realism.

I will try working with the radio more and taking the Hurricane out instead of the Spit, if I can figure out which options to select.

Thanks again, will report back later. First thing I'd better do is go learn the controls better.

Cheers!

stalkervision
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by stalkervision »

the guys are totally great here. Best forum on the internet. :)

Sergeant Pilot Andy
Airman

Post by Sergeant Pilot Andy »

Keep your speed up and use the top hat on the joystick or Track IR to keep looking around, so you don't get jumped. Set a button to snap the view back to the central/gunsight view, that way you have the best of both worlds if you choose panning views. You can also set the field of view to toggle between a narrow view and a wide view. This is great for focusing in on targets when you're getting in firing range and then snapping back to a wide view to find new targets.

If you're attacking bombers from height cut the throttle if you're closing too quickly, then open up again once you're past them to escape return fire from the gunners. I find the best way is to fly parallel just out of range, build up some speed until I'm just ahead of the formation and then a quick aileron turn into a beam attack. This exposes you to less return fire than a stern attack. Once you're in among the bombers you can straighten up for a second or two behind one of them for a close burst then dive away, or turn away on the beam again to set up for another attack. It takes practice, as if you're not quick, you get shredded!

Practice dogfighting in the Hurricane. It's not as nippy as the Spitfire but it's steady as a rock and can turn inside a 109 easily. And don't forget the reserve tank :!:

With landing, practice flying with gear and flaps down to see how slow the planes will fly without falling out of the sky. Once you know these limits landing is much easier. Find the airfield, get down to a low altitude and speed, switch to fine pitch if you have selected manual control and dive at a very shallow angle towards the runway/grass. When you're just off the ground level out, cut the throttle and gently pull the stick back to bleed off the remaining speed without gaining height again. The plane should just sink gently onto the ground.

"you can teach... monkeys to fly better than that"

WanganuiLad
Senior Airman

Post by WanganuiLad »

limey75 wrote:Just got this today .....
Limey75 all that you said shows what a realistic sim this is.
Your experience is accurate.
In 1940, quite a few young chaps had trouble mastering these difficult aircraft.
They also would have trouble finding the airfield particularly in the sort of weather
they seem to have in England ;)
Then, when thrown into combat,
it was not unusual to miss the bombers and find the sky empty.

Plus what the other Guys said :)

Pete
E6420/8800GTS/MSFF2/Comfychair

stalkervision
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by stalkervision »

Best way to learn how to land and fly a spit or hurricane FAST is try a me-109 out first. After that it will be a breeze ! :D

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”