Solent Sight Seeing

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
tipsypo
Senior Airman

Solent Sight Seeing

Post by tipsypo »

I just went on an sight seeing sortie starting at Tangmere and going west along the coast and ending up at Swanage. Father owns an yacht down in the solent and I've been sailing upon this a number of times so know this coastline a little. Going sailing there this weekend in fact.

An anti-aircraft gun in the water at Northern side of HMNB Portsmouth. :lol:

Portsmouth on port Gosport on right, IoW visible in background (on IoW the river visible on right is Wootton and Bembridge is on left although never been inside these two myself just sailed past them). The three sea forts not there though.

HMS Daedalus aka RNAS Lee on Solent? Gosport and Portsmouth top left.

Beaulieu River, HMS Agamemnon an Napoleonic War era 3rd Rate that Nelson served as Captain upon was built along the river here at Bucklers Hard. Also some very expensive and large gardened looking houses on the river side here. Southhampton in background.

IoW taken just past Beaulieu River. From starboard to port is Newtown Creek, Cowes (never been inside this one either yet) and Wootton.

Lymington Harbour on right, Fathers yacht berthed here in the Yacht Haven. Hurst Castle and Keyhaven "visible" on left.

Another shot showing Lymington.

Another shot showing Keyhaven and where Hurst Castle would be located right on the southern tip.

Christchurch Bay, Nan lives along the coastline here. Always call and wave as we go along here. :mrgreen:

Christchurch Harbour and Muddeford on the right side.

Entrance to Poole, peninsula on right is Sandbanks some very posh'o houses there also do not look very nice though to me. Apparently part of the beaches on left is an nudist one? Chain ferry goes between Sandbanks and these beaches. Large island is Brownsea Island, rather shallow water to the left of that, rather nice anchoring spot though on that very forresty finger like penisula to left of Brownsea.

Poole, whole area just below those beaches is full with yachts on bouys or anchors normally. Imagine the bottom part being an elephants head, just above the trunk on the mainland is an quay side with restrants and such lining it, along the quay side just above the trunks tip is the boat haven.

Studland Bay, Old Harry can be seen on the left side.

Close up showing Old Harry (plus the one people call his wife), looks alright.

Swanage, then going north is Old Harry, Studland Bay and Sandbanks as shown in previous pictures. Then I quit the 3D.

Erm at the end though I got this, did not kick me out from BoB just noticed it when going back to the desktop? I know I know I'll try and find time to just reinstall. Checked to see whether the files being references exist and they do not, just PLUMES and SPLUMES but no PLUMES do your installs include the ones referenced bellow? Ignore the rather rubbish picture went to Fleet Air Arm museum yesterday and am a terrible photographer, plus was not used to the camera bought it day before, can upload pics and video of you want.

In the RAF they say an landing's ok, when the pilot gets out and can still walk away.
But in the FAA the prospect is grim, when the landings piss-poor and the pilot can't swim.
Cracking show, I'm Alive, But I've still got to render my A25!

stickman
BDG

Re: Solent Sight Seeing

Post by stickman »

Poole for v2.12. I have since removed the larger vessels that may not have been able to get into the channel.
I moved "Bournemouth" Docks target over to Poole where docks at the Bournemouth area really were. About 2/3 of all the buildings here are targets.
All objects are real objects not ObjectAdd ghost objects.

An anti-aircraft gun in the water at Northern side of HMNB Portsmouth
Offending Bofors has been removed from the harbor for v2.11. :)

About that error message. It is referring to a texture that is not in BoBII. It does do anything.
However, it was in BoB1 I think. Since it was not used, we deleted Mskmap16 / RPLUME.X8.
I have never seen this error message before.

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

tipsypo wrote:I just went on an sight seeing sortie starting at Tangmere and going west along the coast and ending up at Swanage. Father owns an yacht down in the solent and I've been sailing upon this a number of times so know this coastline a little. Going sailing there this weekend in fact.

[...]

Portsmouth on port Gosport on right, IoW visible in background (on IoW the river visible on right is Wootton and Bembridge is on left although never been inside these two myself just sailed past them). The three sea forts not there though.
Yes, I have suggested the seaforts be modelled, but no one has taken up the challenge yet.
They're too small to do as terrain objects, must be buildings, and must be much bigger than
the available oiltank objects, which are the biggest round candidates in the object catalogue.
HMS Daedalus aka RNAS Lee on Solent? Gosport and Portsmouth top left.
Yes, I believe so. Portsmouth is an area I haven't looked at yet. Too much coastline,
too little time...

[...]
IoW taken just past Beaulieu River. From starboard to port is Newtown Creek, Cowes (never been inside this one either yet) and Wootton.
There are some interesting bridges I'd like to see modelled some day, like the Yarmouth Causeway... I find it
odd that with all the deep cuts that waterways make into the IoW shoreline, the causeway is the only
bridge that has been built there.

[...]
Another shot showing Keyhaven and where Hurst Castle would be located right on the southern tip.
Hmmm. I included an approximation of Hurst Castle using the old Oil Tank objects we had several patches ago,
in an ObjectAdds file. I presume it has been deleted now that the tanks are higher resolution and can't easily
be mistaken for cylindrical post-medieval towers any more. ...I don't know, I think it still sort of works. Here is
the text for the file, anyway, perhaps some buildings could be substituted for the tanks. This provides their locations,
anyway... (give it a title like HurstSpit.txt and drop it into ObjectAdds)

# Objects added on Wed May 16 04:58:12 2007

OBJECT_ADD 19497475,26996813,0.000000,120
OBJECT_ADD 19495760,26996761,0.000000,121
OBJECT_ADD 19498852,26997790,0.000000,121
OBJECT_ADD 19497983,26995206,0.000000,121

(The spit is a reworking I did based on the data I found on Ian West's great Wes$ex Geology website)

[...]
Entrance to Poole, peninsula on right is Sandbanks some very posh'o houses there also do not look very nice though to me. Apparently part of the beaches on left is an nudist one? Chain ferry goes between Sandbanks and these beaches. Large island is Brownsea Island, rather shallow water to the left of that, rather nice anchoring spot though on that very forresty finger like penisula to left of Brownsea.
Now you're getting into an area I spent about a year on. The nice thing about doing terrain enhancements is
I get to do a very thorough investigation, which usually takes me beyond the topography to the history,
the geology, and lots more, as I troll the web looking for useful views and information. Rowan had neglected
to even include Brownsea on their map. It has the distinction of being the location where Baden Powell
led his first group of boys camping, which led to the invention of the boy scouts.

The "foresty finger" is GoatHorn Point, home to the GoatHorn Farm oil wells, which along with the Wytch Farm wells
on Wytch Heath, on the next foresty point to the west, are the only wells drilled on land in the UK.

[...]
Close up showing Old Harry (plus the one people call his wife), looks alright.
Yes, I was rather pleased how that turned out. When I was working on trying to get the Needles to look more realistic
than the big cubes that Rowan had done, I learned that the chalk continued to the west reappearing on the mainland
at Old Harry, and that was the main attraction that inspired the rework of Purbeck. The other reason was to better
define the Purbeck hills, which were pretty much undetectable in the Rowan terrain.

[...]
Erm at the end though I got this, did not kick me out from BoB just noticed it when going back to the desktop? I know I know I'll try and find time to just reinstall. Checked to see whether the files being references exist and they do not, just PLUMES and SPLUMES but no PLUMES do your installs include the ones referenced bellow? Ignore the rather rubbish picture went to Fleet Air Arm museum yesterday and am a terrible photographer, plus was not used to the camera bought it day before, can upload pics and video of you want.

Very strange, the plumes appear to be plumes of smoke (looking at my BoB1 archive). You somehow invoked them with
a piece of code that doesn't normally get any exercise. Most curious...

tipsypo
Senior Airman

Post by tipsypo »

Both seem to have done some good research there.
stickman wrote:Poole for v2.12. I have since removed the larger vessels that may not have been able to get into the channel. I moved "Bournemouth" Docks target over to Poole where docks at the Bournemouth area really were. About 2/3 of all the buildings here are targets. All objects are real objects not ObjectAdd ghost objects.
I dunno I think I've seen vessels as large as those two moored up alongside, may be judging the size wrong a bit though. Also thats now so I dunno whether the area was shallower back then or narrower.
PV wrote:Hmmm. I included an approximation of Hurst Castle using the old Oil Tank objects we had several patches ago, in an ObjectAdds file. I presume it has been deleted now that the tanks are higher resolution and can't easily be mistaken for cylindrical post-medieval towers any more. ...I don't know, I think it still sort of works. Here is the text for the file, anyway, perhaps some buildings could be substituted for the tanks. This provides their locations, anyway... (give it a title like HurstSpit.txt and drop it into ObjectAdds)

(The spit is a reworking I did based on the data I found on Ian West's great Wes$ex Geology website)
Hmm should that be in my game then, maybe more reasons to suspect somethings gone awry in my installation and update?
The "foresty finger" is GoatHorn Point, home to the GoatHorn Farm oil wells, which along with the Wytch Farm wells on Wytch Heath, on the next foresty point to the west, are the only wells drilled on land in the UK.
Thats the one! :lol: Can see those wells as you come through both the channels.
Yes, I was rather pleased how that turned out. When I was working on trying to get the Needles to look more realistic than the big cubes that Rowan had done, I learned that the chalk continued to the west reappearing on the mainland at Old Harry, and that was the main attraction that inspired the rework of Purbeck. The other reason was to better define the Purbeck hills, which were pretty much undetectable in the Rowan terrain.
I noticed the terrain got more hilly around that area, was good nice job, alot more realistic I thought compared to the flatness that there is in other areas.
In the RAF they say an landing's ok, when the pilot gets out and can still walk away.
But in the FAA the prospect is grim, when the landings piss-poor and the pilot can't swim.
Cracking show, I'm Alive, But I've still got to render my A25!

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Pete,
Hmmm. I included an approximation of Hurst Castle using the old Oil Tank objects we had several patches ago,
in an ObjectAdds file. I presume it has been deleted now that the tanks are higher resolution and can't easily
be mistaken for cylindrical post-medieval towers any more. ...I don't know, I think it still sort of works. Here is
the text for the file, anyway, perhaps some buildings could be substituted for the tanks. This provides their locations,
anyway... (give it a title like HurstSpit.txt and drop it into ObjectAdds)

Those old oil tanks are still in use. They are currently the only ones with damage models, and I've been using them at Ports and Factories.
I think that Paul may have never included your ObjactAdds there in an update.

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

That could be true - as I had them in my install, I would never notice if they weren't inserted
by a patch. ...Now that we're getting short of ObjectAdds filenames, it might be an idea to
tuck them in to the Isle of Wight ObjectAdds file (with a Hurst Spit annotation).

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Now that we're getting short of ObjectAdds filenames, it might be an idea to
tuck them in to the Isle of Wight ObjectAdds file (with a Hurst Spit annotation).
Yes. Save resources. Whatever is nearby and titled with a close by place.
I am a firm believer in notating what objects are in an ObjectAdds file,
Especially after trying to weed out all of the objects near Weymouth just last week, to fit your new terrain.
Process of elimination took 3 nights. They were in 4 separate files, for chrissakes. And many hundreds of TAB key presses to delete the unwanted objects!
Few files have notes within them as to where the objects are, other than the file title.

I will put them into Ilse of Wight, with notes, to go with Ben and my OA revisions.

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

stickman wrote:Poole for v2.12.
Nice work and nice screenie :)

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”