Cliffs of Dover off to a shaky start

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
Michal - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Cliffs of Dover off to a shaky start

Post by Michal - A2A »

nachinus wrote:Do other sims have collision detection with individual trees?

In my experience, most sims use something like a 'collision box' over tree areas. But perhaps more modern sims do have individual tree collision, I've not played RoF yet.
In FSX every tree has a collision. And there are a LOT of them with dense autogen.

In DCS/LockOn engine trees doesn't have collsion either.

Ben1820
Senior Airman

Post by Ben1820 »

I bit the bullet and bought COD from the UK site. After the 8 hr install I started up a free flight in the Tiger moth(which is beautiful). To my dismay, I couldnt get over 10FPS..it is unplayable. Even on low settings. I have asked justflight to give me a refund if a patch does not come out fixing the performance issues. In which they agreed in full to give me. So im waiting.
My computer specs are, i7 920 @2.67 with an overclocked GTX470 and windows 7 Ultimate. I can run A2A's spitfire over all of Orbxs scenery at 50FPS most of the time, unless its over seattle. So I thought I wouldnt have a problem with COD. Hopfully it can be fixed, if not. Then I guess im sticking with FSX. A2A's spitfire is nicer than the one in COD anyways and its not acusimed :lol:
-Ben

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Just from my reading, as I do not have COD, the game seems badly broken with so many bugs (including performance), and the players who can get it working can do very little (fly around and small dog fights).

I think, I better wait for the bargin bin for this one as I just wanted to check it out.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Toonsis
Technical Sergeant

Post by Toonsis »

I few patches and it will be fine but I was hoping for more. I consider it a work in progress

SeaVee
BDG

Post by SeaVee »

Its buggy as hell. IMHO its a disgrace to have been released in what seems to be an alpha development stage.

No Force Feedback joystick support - and apparently no plans to implement it - ever.

For the moment among many other bugs:

No SLI or crossfire support
Can not seem to adjust Anti-aliasing either in-game or in NVIDIA control panel

Also the sounds are absolutely pathetic, in particular the engines both internal and external view.
i7-990X Extreme Edition CPU; 12GB DDR3 RAM; ASRock 58X Deluxe mobo; EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 video card; Corsair HX850W PSU; XFi Titanium; 40” 1920X1080 LCD; MS FFB2; TIR 5 Pro; Logitech MX518 mouse; Logitech Z680 speakers; Buttkicker Gamer

stalkervision
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by stalkervision »

Buddye wrote:Just from my reading, as I do have COD, the game seems badly broken with so many bug (including performance), that the player who can get it working can do very little (fly around and small dog fights).

I think, I better wait for the bargain bin for this one as I just wanted to check it out.
think I will do the very same thing too buddye. :)

chumleigh
BDG

Post by chumleigh »

stalkervision wrote: think I will do the very same thing too buddye. :)
You got that right, Stalk!
As much as I'd hoped the reports would be better and as promising as the graphics appeared to be, I'd be daft to second guess Buddye, especially given that it's so seldom he ever has anything negative to say.
(2) striped WD 10,000rpm SATA HDD's, Intel QX9650 CPU, EVGA 790i Ultra SLI, Ultra X3 1000 Watt SLI PSU (4x1GB) OCZ 2000MHz SLI DDR3, XP Pro 64, (2) EVGA 512MB 8800 GTS GPU's, Saitek stick and pedals, TrackIR 5, HP w2408h -1920X1200

marine
Technical Sergeant

Post by marine »

As Seevee says,no forcefeedback,(apart from all the other bad aspects of the game)to me that is essential for any Dogfight Sim,so even if the Sim was okay,i certainly would avoid the Sim like the Plague,so it's a no go for me from the beginning.

I'm quite happy with WOV,i'm glad now i kept my powder dry as far as COD is concerned.
you live and learn,and die and forget.

CPU Intel E8400 Core 2 [email protected] O/[email protected] CRUCIAL MEM 6400,V/C Ati 6870 1GB mem,MB GA- p35ds3r,s/c 5.1 santa cruz,Viewsonic 2650 LCD 26" Screen

Rummy
BDG

Post by Rummy »

Perhaps I view things differently than being just a consumer-especially these days and knowing personally some of the guys who have stuck it out. In my opinion there is no such thing as a bad flight sim. They are so rare, so difficult to make with perhaps the most under appreciative (present forums excluded) players that no right minded developer would invest large amounts of time and resources for the little financial return they receive. As a result, we are left with a handful of developers who have little to no suppot. Also, lets not have short memories, while it's not public knowledge that COD was forced out the door it surely seems that way. It's full of issues, will require patches and needs some TLC, just like another BOB sim I've come to enjoy.

Caveat emptor I say, if you've been around long enough you know the state of things these days and should not be that surprised with the release of COD. I think what surprises most is that many thought Maddox games would be impervious to the present environment. The signs were there after all. Buy it, don't buy it, wait, don't wait, hey you are free to do so, but understand that with the trend of one major new release a decade, there won't be many other options. The title of this thread is very appropriate but like BOB WOV, I have no doubt COD will get better, and if it fails to that's ok too.

chumleigh
BDG

Post by chumleigh »

Good points well stated, Rummy.
(2) striped WD 10,000rpm SATA HDD's, Intel QX9650 CPU, EVGA 790i Ultra SLI, Ultra X3 1000 Watt SLI PSU (4x1GB) OCZ 2000MHz SLI DDR3, XP Pro 64, (2) EVGA 512MB 8800 GTS GPU's, Saitek stick and pedals, TrackIR 5, HP w2408h -1920X1200

marcel barclay
Airman Basic

Post by marcel barclay »

Real shame about this. Reminds me of the original Falcon 4. That was forced out of the door by the publisher, bug ridden and half finished. Lets hope CoD does get patched to a decent level and those that have bought it for it's release price get there moneys worth and 1C continue to produce flight sims,

KiwiSmithy
Airman First Class

Post by KiwiSmithy »

Sounds as if it's a complete bloody shambles.

You would have thought that after 7 or so years of development they could have released something which was a lot more solid. I would've been pretty brassed off if I'd gone off and paid top dollar on its release and it's that buggy.

I won't be buying it as my setup is not up to it, and besides I'm only interested in single player campaign. Added to that the level of historical accuracy I want and it's BOBWOV for me still!

ricnunes
BDG

Post by ricnunes »

marcel barclay wrote:Real shame about this. Reminds me of the original Falcon 4. That was forced out of the door by the publisher, bug ridden and half finished. Lets hope CoD does get patched to a decent level and those that have bought it for it's release price get there moneys worth and 1C continue to produce flight sims,

Except that the original Falcon 4 always had an awesome dynamic campaign (IMO, the best campaign ever made so far for a combat flight sim) and this IL2:CoD doesn't even have a campaign - yes, because the IL2:CoD campaign for me it isn't worthy of being called a "Campaign"!

I won't buy (and probably will never buy) IL2:CoD and the reasons why are:
- Complete inexistance of something worthy of being called a "campaign"!
- DRM which requires the player to be connected to the Internet when he/she starts the game!

Yes, the performance issues with IL2:CoD are severe and very bad but I believe that those issues will be solved with due time but the campaign is the issue that I'm affraid that it will never be "solved"!

Fish 40
Senior Airman

Post by Fish 40 »

[quote]"- DRM which requires the player to be connected to the Internet when he/she starts the game!"

I wouldn't count on that lasting too long. Everyone bitched and moaned about SH5 for the same reason, and as far as I know, Ubi dropped it. I'm with you though, I refuse to play anything if I need a mandatory connect at all times.

wallydog
Senior Airman

Post by wallydog »

a patch for the game was released this week which deals with a bunch of stuff...it seems the developers are hard a work to make this game playable so I am somewhat hopeful...I believe the patch removes DRM and improves smoothness in lower ended machines and the todo list looks promising as well...not sure whay these things were not in place when the game shipped but at least the release in NA is a few weeks away so that they can iron out a few more of the bugs.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 4781064029

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”