Battle of Britain: The Lost Evidence

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
P/O Percy Prune
Staff Sergeant

Post by P/O Percy Prune »

Dunno anything about this, just spotted it, but might be worth catching. UK TV tonight.

Wednesday 12 January
8:00pm - 9:00pm
Channel 5

P.
Intel 64bit i5 2500, Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3, DDR3 16GB ram, Intel SSD 80GB, WD VelociRaptor 600, Seagate ST500, Gainward ATI Radeon HD4800, Sound Blaster XFi, 1000W PS, W7 Home Premium, Direct X 9.0C,
Saitek Cyborg EVO Force, Saitek Throttle, Saitek Pedals.

JamesB
BDG

Re: Battle of Britain: The Lost Evidence

Post by JamesB »

Bugger, missed it. Was it any good?

P/O Percy Prune
Staff Sergeant

I've just looked and I don't think you can get it again. I had seen it before though. It had some supercilious young brit and a dreadful young yank who has been working at Sandhurst, commentating, which was a bit bloody annoying.

Plenty of clips of spits and hurribuses, ranging from pre-war to post BoB, with spits ranging up to Mk9's!

Major mistake when referring to the aeroplanes having 'cannons'.

I think the general theme was that the hun failed to recognise the importance of the RDF stations and failed to understand the Chain Home system.

They also stopped hammering at the aeroplane stations, and turned to attacking the docks and major cities. The hun also seemed to have rather poor reconnaissance, tending to hit unimportant aerodromes, and failed to understand the dispersal system.

I though that not enough emphasis was put on Dowding's administration and meticulous pre-war planning.

P.
Intel 64bit i5 2500, Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3, DDR3 16GB ram, Intel SSD 80GB, WD VelociRaptor 600, Seagate ST500, Gainward ATI Radeon HD4800, Sound Blaster XFi, 1000W PS, W7 Home Premium, Direct X 9.0C,

jchodur
Airman Basic

Post by jchodur »

I don't get it. What is the lost evidence? I thought all of that was common knowledge.

blackmme
Airman

Post by blackmme »

The 'supercilious young brit' is Stephen Bungay writer of 'Most Dangerous Enemy' the best book on the battle (a masterpiece in my opinion) that I have read (and I have read a lot of them).
I think he comes over as confident and knowledgable and he is very, very knowledgable about the battle.

Regards Mike

P/O Percy Prune
Staff Sergeant

I know! Just sounds a bit of a c***.

P.

KiwiSmithy
Airman First Class

Post by KiwiSmithy »

Bungay can come across as a bit of a twit on the telly. Anyone remember when he did the commentary on that clip of the home video in colour of a BoB dogfight about 5 or 6 years ago? He was a bit cringeworthy in that as well.

It seems to be his screen manner, I don't think he was made to be on the box.

I don't agree with all the assumptions he makes in "The Most Dangerous Enemy" but his research in that book is virtually unmatched and it is a spectacular work.

He certainly knows his onions.

Toonsis
Technical Sergeant

Post by Toonsis »

So there was no lost evidence but I suppose I would still watch

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey guys remember the target audience here, it isnt lost to us but will be for the mainstream, just as the recent show on the 303sqn was named the forgotten battle of britain. But of course us history fanatics interested in the period know all about the great Polish airmen who earned themselves such a reputation of some of the best warriors in the battle of the skies in 1940.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”