Help with Joystick choice?

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
timtheelk
Airman First Class

Help with Joystick choice?

Post by timtheelk »

Just changed from XP to 7 - Saitek controller only works with XP!!

Views on replacement for Cyborg Evo for simple things like M'soft Flight Sim 2000 - available in UK - please??

= Tim

Baza
BDG

Re: Help with Joystick choice?

Post by Baza »

Tim, I checked the Microsoft site for you and it reckons you should be able to run the Evo under Win 7 (32 and 64 bit), with no further software required.

Have you instaled the latest drivers from Saitek? http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php
Barry

ASUS P5N32-E-SLI; Core2 Extreme QX6850(3GHz, 1333MHz FSB); 2xNVIDIA 8800 Ultra 768MB SLI; 2GB RAM PC6400 DDR2/800; Vista SP2; DX10; TIR5; mod MSFF2; Saitek Pro Flight - Quadrant, Pedals & Headset; TFS2; VAC; Dell 30"(2560x1600@60 hz)

timtheelk
Airman First Class

Post by timtheelk »

Thanks a bundle for that, Baza. No - I'll have to check tomorrow with 'my chap who knows' on the bit size.

As to the Sim itself - a bit outdated? Is there something significantly better for light aircraft at a reasonable cost?

= Tim

Baza
BDG

Post by Baza »

'Fraid I'm not up to date with current joysticks, Tim, I've used a Microsoft Force Feedback II (somewhat modified) for years now and have a spare in the loft in case this one breaks.

However, I do know that Saitek make a flight yolk, as per in a light aircraft, which may be worth a look: http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/yoke.html

I've got the throttle quadrant (again modified) and it's really good.
Barry

ASUS P5N32-E-SLI; Core2 Extreme QX6850(3GHz, 1333MHz FSB); 2xNVIDIA 8800 Ultra 768MB SLI; 2GB RAM PC6400 DDR2/800; Vista SP2; DX10; TIR5; mod MSFF2; Saitek Pro Flight - Quadrant, Pedals & Headset; TFS2; VAC; Dell 30"(2560x1600@60 hz)

Toonsis
Technical Sergeant

Post by Toonsis »

If you fly the modern aircraft get the most expensive one you can afford. If you just like WW2 get a cheap one

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Tim,

Your left hand will be itching to reach for the Throttle?

My uncle Bruce Kennedy of Greybull, Wyoming told me (last time I saw him and before he died in a car crash on a gravel road)
"Jeff, Life is too short to ride a sorry horse!"

I use Windows 7 and bought a new SAITEK X52 joystick & throttle, April of this year.
They both work fine together.

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Hi Tim,

I use a CH Fighter Stick and Peddles. I like it. I had a Microfoft FF II but I like the fighter stick better.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

JamesB
BDG

Post by JamesB »

Tim, I use the Saitek X52 Pro and it is superb but you may consider it to be a bit expensive. I think that for simple light aircraft flight your stick should be adequate anyway although I would not now go back to a stick without a seperate throttle.

If I read your last post correctly you are asking about the sim FS 2000? Yes, it's a bit outdated now and you would do well to look into upgrading to "Microsoft Flight simulator X" . It can be found for a reasonable price on Ebay or from the likes of PC World. There are various expansion packs but, if you are interested in light aircraft flying then the basic package will be fine. There are lots of missions incorporated and the software is relatively easy to use. I did find the Mustang ridiculously easy to take off, fly and land but I guess BoB2 on it's more realistic flight settings is rather more testing!

timtheelk
Airman First Class

Post by timtheelk »

GREAT feedback - many thanks. Yes - I'm sticking to light a/c - 'specially because I shall be flying a Piper L4 soon.

For the moment, trying to come to terms with the new PC & 7. Why could they not have left well alone in many cases??

= Tim

Bucic
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bucic »

Toonsis wrote:If you fly the modern aircraft get the most expensive one you can afford. If you just like WW2 get a cheap one
I strongly disagree. Sims of vintage aircraft require as much precision and quality as every other sim with high fidelity flight models. The only difference is that sims of vintage ACs don't require as many buttons.

I'm surprised you've started a separate topic, timtheelk. The 'Joystick Help and Profiles for BoB 2' sticky topic has plenty of information re buying joysticks. My advice is do whatever you can to be able to go for rudder pedals. As for joysticks:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=55250&page=2
Bucic wrote:Saitek AV8R-01 is the best bang for the buck. Second - Thrustmaster Hotas X and T16000. Then maybe ST290. Also be aware of that only Saitek uses decent potentiometers in alll of their joysticks. All of the rest use the same 10 mm by 10 mm crap-pots. I don't know what sensors are used in exotic (for me) products like CH Products.
And :!: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=9 ... stcount=16 :!:

So if you want good sensors in even cheap joysticks - go for Saitek
:!: But stay away from Cyborg X and Cyborg V1 and any other Cyborg iteration released after 2008 for that matter :!:
ULTIMATE FEATURES SUMUP!
Tutorials http://tinyurl.com/4thtx5c
Installation | User Interface | Starting a dynamic Single Pilot Campaign | Takeoff | Free Flight | Inkscape | more!

Toonsis
Technical Sergeant

Post by Toonsis »

I just feel why pay for all those buttons that your not going to use or need. If the WW2 flight sims need precision flying I have yet to find it.
I suppose its a matter of how many hours your going to use the sim and what you can afford.
I used Thrustmaster Cougar for the jets when I was a hardcore flight simmer but as I got older and became more of a WW2 "dabbler" I did fine with a downgrade to the CH Products

Bucic
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bucic »

Toonsis wrote:I just feel why pay for all those buttons that your not going to use or need. If the WW2 flight sims need precision flying I have yet to find it.
I suppose its a matter of how many hours your going to use the sim and what you can afford.
I used Thrustmaster Cougar for the jets when I was a hardcore flight simmer but as I got older and became more of a WW2 "dabbler" I did fine with a downgrade to the CH Products
Of course, buttons, but let's keep the subject precise. You may go cheap on buttons but there are very few cheap joysticks with decent gimbal mechanism, if any. And you've downgraded to CH Products, you say? :D Some 'downgrade' :mrgreen: It's simple - CH Products joysticks have probably better gimbal mechanism than that of COUGAR. Even though COUGAR is all-metal.

Again - sensors + gimbal and centering mechanism is of unlimited importance for every sim with high fidelity FM. Practical choices of specific products - see above, earlier post.
ULTIMATE FEATURES SUMUP!
Installation | User Interface | Starting a dynamic Single Pilot Campaign | Takeoff | Free Flight | Inkscape | more!

timtheelk
Airman First Class

Post by timtheelk »

Bucic - 1000 apologies for this thread - I thought that the other would only be concerned with the real stuff - not a cheapo Sim like mine.

= Tim

Bucic
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bucic »

timtheelk wrote:Bucic - 1000 apologies for this thread - I thought that the other would only be concerned with the real stuff - not a cheapo Sim like mine.

= Tim
If I gave any indication that you should make any apologies then it's a bold misunderstanding :) Of course I would prefer if you continue the subject there in case you have any further questions, so others may use your experiences and so they can access it easily (the other topic is a sticky).

However if you feel like continuing here I won't say a word. The above is just a suggestion.
ULTIMATE FEATURES SUMUP!

Toonsis
Technical Sergeant

Post by Toonsis »

The Cougar had its problems by the time I fixed the gimbals I was no longer flying the F-16. The gimbal problem really showed up for in flight refueling and landing.
I am happy with the CH Products, but if I switch back to the fast movers I will want the all metal and the 1000 buttons again

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”