SCREENSHOTS

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
rogeroger
Staff Sergeant

Re: SCREENSHOTS

Post by rogeroger »

Thanks,for your help PV. I wasnt registered on Imagebam and could'nt access my images.I've since registered, so hopefully I'll get it right this time.

Jetfighter5 cloud textures in this image.

Aris Woff textures.

Southend on Sea I think, where I placed plensch objects.

Southend again.I have two versions of this terrain,this and a less green version.

Tangmere with a lite, less blocky version of Aris clouds.

Not sure where this is.

Lets give Jerry a chance.

I use enb sweetfx in the campaign, and a version of reshade that I tweaked for a similar effect in the quick missions.
I'ts added a less dated look to the game.

I've created a few multi object templates and filled in some missing objects in Bognor Regis, Folkestone, Kenley and some other areas. Object placement, a bit like popping bubble wrap, mind numbingly addictive.

I'm new to this whole forum posting thing, so once I'm familiar with one of these file storage programs I'll make this stuff available for anybody who is interested.Thanks again BDG team, for your hard work and perseverence.
Last edited by rogeroger on 16 Jun 2017, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Nice work.
We would be happy to have any ObjectAdds work that you have made for BoBII.

rogeroger
Staff Sergeant

Post by rogeroger »

Hi stickman,these are the objects I,ve added so far.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8vvbo92gv ... R_BOB2.zip

The tree file was'nt created for the stock terrain, so it may or may not look that great.
As I play the RAF campaign I'll add new objects or cleanup existing objects.This is a wip, so I'll add updates as I proceed.If you think any particular area should be prioritised,I'd be happy to oblige.

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

rogeroger,
This is a wip, so I'll add updates as I proceed.If you think any particular area should be prioritised,I'd be happy to oblige.
It seems that you are having fun placing objects in places that you would like them to be, so carry on doing so.
We all have our favorite places in south England, even I as an American, whom has made all of the Targets there.
I've fallen in love with some of these places, just researching them, never been there.
As yet, I have no special requests for prioritization.
The Biggin Hill, Kenley, and Croydon area sees a lot of bloody Campaign action, during my LW Campaigns. I call this area Der Hexenkessel (the witches cauldron).
I see that you are already making this area look better as to towns and villages. :)
The tree file was'nt created for the stock terrain, so it may or may not look that great.
It may look good, but it may also be too big at 121 KB using 2782 single tree objects. :shock:
A BDG man many years back, made several files called TREES-Manston-xxxx or TREES-Hawkinge-xxxx. Biggest being a hefty 310 KB. Yeah, they look good, but...
These TREES-xxxxxxx files make my computer crawl on it's knees. :( I always delete the ones that are more than 50 KB.
Better to build up the towns and villages, preferably using "multi-object .bin" files, than to plant thousands of individual #62 oak trees around, IMO.

I see that you are using "multi-object .bin" files mostly to make towns. Excellent! You know what you are doing, without ever asking anyone for help. :)
You certainly have my attention.

Aloha!

rogeroger
Staff Sergeant

Post by rogeroger »

Hi stickman
It may look good, but it may also be too big at 121 KB using 2782 single tree objects. :shock:
A BDG man many years back, made several files called TREES-Manston-xxxx or TREES-Hawkinge-xxxx. Biggest being a hefty 310 KB. Yeah, they look good, but...
These TREES-xxxxxxx files make my computer crawl on it's knees. :( I always delete the ones that are more than 50 KB.
Better to build up the towns and villages, preferably using "multi-object .bin" files, than to plant thousands of individual #62 oak trees around, IMO.

The trees are from templates I've created and are not specific to just one area like manston, but are spread over the map. I've removed trees in the Manston and Hawkinge areas because of bad fps. I'm a frequent flyer of the RAF pilot campaign on a dated system, and there's nothing worse than a slow down when trying to get a bead on a 109 or bouncing a big flight of 111's. In future I'll create tree files specific to a particular area.
The Biggin Hill, Kenley, and Croydon area sees a lot of bloody Campaign action, during my LW Campaigns. I call this area Der Hexenkessel (the witches cauldron).
I see that you are already making this area look better as to towns and villages.
Hopefully I can get to the LUFTWAFFE campaign in this lifetime. I save at the start of each campaign sortie and create replayable missions from the more interesting encounters, usually playing the same mission over and over until I get to base in one piece.

When I've accumulated enough mission saves, Ill create a quick mission pack with a text file instruction for each mission on whether to frag, or fly from base.

Boreas
Technical Sergeant

Post by Boreas »

Nice pics rogeroger. I like the bolder terrain with lighter grain fields and the patchwork look. I've been working towards that sort thing very slowly since completing my editing templates, don’t tell me if you didn’t use them, but it looks good to my eye.

rogeroger
Staff Sergeant

Post by rogeroger »

Hi Boreas
The ai, flight model and great campaign is the reason why I'm a fan, but the washed out appearence of the stock terrain compounded by the foggy perspex cockpit effect,which I removed, was an immersion killer. Your terrain mods were a game changer for me. :D

Nice pics rogeroger. I like the bolder terrain with lighter grain fields and the patchwork look. I've been working towards that sort thing very slowly since completing my editing templates, don’t tell me if you didn’t use them, but it looks good to my eye.

I have to note that John Benfield skillfully crafted the original texture for cfs3,I merely adapted it for use in bob2,cloning in one or two farm fields from other terrain images for variation.
I've made it available for download:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/lbhs071wa ... errain.zip

Set gamma to high if you aren't using reshade or sweetfx, although I did colour it for use with enb/sweetfx. I'd still use reshade with just fxaa and hdr enabled to fine tune brightness. I've included reshade and enb/sweetfx as well as a darkened aris woff texturered nimbus.dds file to counter the overexposed look you get from using the reshade or sweetfx hdr effect.

Boreas
Technical Sergeant

Post by Boreas »

Thanks rogeroger, very interesting. I hadn’t really compared the terrain to other games or experimented with darkening some fields while adding saturation to them. Seems to me it would be an improvement if the colours in a lot of the stock textures were more like these.

rogeroger
Staff Sergeant

Post by rogeroger »

Hi Boreas
Thanks rogeroger, very interesting. I hadn’t really compared the terrain to other games or experimented with darkening some fields while adding saturation to them. Seems to me it would be an improvement if the colours in a lot of the stock textures were more like these.
I had'nt considered isolating individual fields in the stock terrain,editing them and reinserting them.
That would be a major improvement. :D

I think I just wanted a terrain set that did'nt contain photoreal trees and buildings.I started on creating an objectadd tree file,because I felt a few well placed 3d trees would look better than photoreal trees,taking fps into consideration of course.

John Benfield's field texture in cfs3 eto 1.50:

I combined OFF2 terrain with JB's summer fields for my ETO setup

Last edited by rogeroger on 16 Jun 2017, 07:00, edited 1 time in total.

Royal-Arsenal
Airman Basic

Post by Royal-Arsenal »

stickman wrote:I used this 1931 map primarily to reproduce Woolwich Arsenal.
Excellent map. With my (old) Paint Shop pro 7 program I can zoom in and see what the titles are over most all the buildings. :D Lovely.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/71hmv70mlq75o ... 1.jpg?dl=0

Later Google showed this 1945 New Years aerial photo. Thanks!
Apparently the Nazi Germans never managed to blow this place away. Morons!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yldlt29zq45te ... 5.jpg?dl=0

After I fell in love with The Arsenal, PV made the Canal, and straightened out some other terrain here, making Rowan's old terrain better. Thank you, PV.
I rebuilt some of the Arsenal to mate well with his better new terrain. With v2.13 it now looks like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/in0xfkxjsm55c ... G.jpg?dl=0

Not all buildings are Target elements.
I confess that I got a bit carried away with my love of Woolwich Arsenal and made it with a whopping 63 target elements! Most of them factory "sections" making up larger factory buildings.
Hey! It's a big place. Kind of important too, as per RAF production. So be it.
The LW cannot destroy this place with a single Raid of 90 Stukas. Testing two LW Campaigns it takes me 4 or 5 more Raids with 90 level bombers each Raid, to destroy it to 85%.
And then, I have to line up Raid approaches in all kind of different directions to do so. Not easy.

It has always been my policy to make it harder for the LW to 100% destroy aircraft and armaments factories,
than it was since old Rowan year 2000 days, and when others later re-made factories, when it was way too damned easy to do so.

These aircraft and armaments factories are just as important as the aircraft that they make and supply, if not more so...
because without them, there will be no aircraft or guns & ammo. :wink:

Hi Stickman,

Nice to see you have a keen interest in the Royal Arsenal, also known as the Secret City.

Only a handful of people know the importance of the Royal Arsenal and the role it played during the British Empire and World Wars.

I live local and have been uncovering the secrets and piecing together long lost maps and also obtaining information from members of the Royal Arsenal Historical society over the last 6 years.

The Royal Arsenal was 3 miles long, 1 mile wide covering 1,300 acres. There was 147 miles of railway line in 2 square miles, the most complex and densest railway network in British history.

Example Secret Map 1920's
© Royal-Arsenal-history.com

Here up to 100,000 workers were employed at one time on every manufacture developing and producing processes known to man. Even involvement with Britains first Atomic bomb.

A ​grand total of buildings huts sheds etc. listed amounts to over 1100 spread over a total 1300 acres of the totally enclosed secret walled City which was the Royal Arsenal.

There were 28 large magazines (Tumps) with mounds and 16 Magazines with moats.
Over 172 buildings storing mines, warheads, cartridges and shells filled with high explosives, rockets, grenades, bombs, fuzes, cordite, dry guncotton, gunpowder, Acid and more.

At one time just after the first great war there were 40,000 tons of explosives in the Arsenal in the Thamesmead area, enough to flatten Greenwich, Woolwich, Abbeywood, Belvedere, Erith and half of north Kent

Please PM me if you would like to work on a detailed full MAP from rare archives and private research work.

A friend of mine actually has worked on a fully scaled 2D Royal Arsenal map (and has the 3D convertible files so that every structure can be lofted). However I'm not sure if he is willing to part with it, this is something I would need to find out as my be subject to copyright or cost..

I have details on most buildings from various research and rare photo's. The West (Section A, B and C) is well documented and I can help supply Royal Arsenal East details (D, E and F).

Example Secret MAP 1931

Look forward to the responses, this secret history needs to be known.

Regards,

Steven Peterson

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Steven,

Excellent information at http://www.royal-arsenal-history.com/ :)

The Heart of the British Empire, indeed.
I had no idea how massive it was.

With the maps you folks have I can read what all the buildings were doing. Lovely.

-----

What I attempted to historically recreate is only the A, B, C, and D sectors at the west end, given the game's current underlying terrain and available building objects.
Before I remade the Arsenal, it was made up of 12 huge warehouses scattered willy-nilly about. A single 30 bomber Raid could destroy it 100%. :roll: Truly a terrible construction.
It was my intention to give the Arsenal the proper respect it deserves in history.
I believe that I have done a decent job doing so there. Please forgive any imperfections.

When I learn how to do terrain mapping and make 3D models, I can make the rest of Woolwich Arsenal, with your info.

Thankyou for sharing this. Aloha!

Jeffrey

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Steven,

Another Secret place was Portsmouth Naval Base.
It is currently not constructed well, let alone historically, in BoBII.
For years I could find no maps or pictures of it. Last summer I did find enough maps and period photos to give the justice it deserves, and I made it better.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mnkotoeasnm5 ... 1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zix762h6ciiw4 ... 2.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mst7orfovxq6o ... 4.jpg?dl=0

For several years now I have been making historical recreations of all Docks and Factories in game. 90% done, now.
Half of my time making them was spent doing research. I have learned to love south England doing so.

Last summer I also historically recreated Purfleet Oil Refinery, Maidstone "Industry", and Canterbury "Industry".

What "Industry" is at Canterbury? Royal Army Barracks. OK, two of them. The old Infantry-Artillery-Cavalry Barracks and the newer Howe Barracks. I built both of them. The old Barracks currently the LW Target, perhaps improperly?

Howe Barracks to the southeast of the Old Barracks, grass area:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux5wqwdjt26d4 ... 1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhjfp6dok3ivp ... 2.jpg?dl=0

What "Industry" is at Maidstone besides His Majesty's Prison that is worth bombing?
Royal Army barracks. The small old barracks a block away from the prison and the newer Invicta Barracks north of town, home to Royal Army Engineers.
I built both, the Invicta Barracks being the LW Target as it is the biggest threat to any German invasion. Army Engineers never get the glory and respect they truly deserve.

Old Barracks south, Invicta Barracks north of town. (His Majesty's Prison not yet reproduced, sorry!) :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fhmh3fql7mfi ... w.jpg?dl=0

Old Barracks:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmud6e6360mcj ... h.jpg?dl=0

Invicta Barracks:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/95yzodxeu0vsl ... 1.jpg?dl=0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:
PV my BDG Partner and Canadian Friend & Ally has graciously remapped the underlying terrain at almost all the places where I historically rebuilt the LW Targets.
Thankyou, Pete! A man or a nation can never survive by standing alone.

Boreas
Technical Sergeant

Post by Boreas »

rogeroger
Staff Sergeant

Post by rogeroger »

I'm in the process of reworking the altbob terrain. Work done so far:

with enb/sweetfx

without shaders

version colored for use without shaders, maybe just fxaa.

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Wow, rr, that first image particularly really pops with the
distinction between the terrain shading and the cabin metal.
Quite impressive!

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”