Is it in there?

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
godzilla
Airman First Class

Is it in there?

Post by godzilla »

Hey Guys,
One of the things I like to do with simulators when I'm not flying combat missions is to check out the scenery and look for historic landmarks. Yesterday I watched an interesting show on TV about Stonehenge, so later when I fired up BoB WOV I went looking for it. Taking off in FF from Tangmere in sunny clear sky's. It will probably take sometime to find as the map in BoB WOV leaves much to be desired and it may not even be in there, but just for *hits and giggles what historic landmarks you guys found in BoB WOV?

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Re: Is it in there?

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Stonehenge is indeed modelled but it's a long way from Tangmere. :wink:
Larry
E8400 Core2Duo 3 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GTX460 (1 Gb), Realtek HD O/B audio, XP Pro (SP3)
Saitek X52 HOTAS, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TIR 5 Pro, LG 22" WS LCD, B-K Gamer

godzilla
Airman First Class

Post by godzilla »

Hi TK,
Where should I start or better yet what is the closest AB in quick flight?

Baza
BDG

Post by Baza »

Have a look at this thread: http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 10&t=10223

All the airfields are now in their correct locations, so ignore that discussion.

There's also the Cerne Abbas Giant, to the North of Dorchester.
Barry

ASUS P5N32-E-SLI; Core2 Extreme QX6850(3GHz, 1333MHz FSB); 2xNVIDIA 8800 Ultra 768MB SLI; 2GB RAM PC6400 DDR2/800; Vista SP2; DX10; TIR5; mod MSFF2; Saitek Pro Flight - Quadrant, Pedals & Headset; TFS2; VAC; Dell 30"(2560x1600@60 hz)

godzilla
Airman First Class

Post by godzilla »

Found it! Wish I would have seen your reply before I went looking Baza, would have saved me an 1/2 hour of flying time :D , but there it was 7-8 mi N of Salisbury, Goggle Earth was right on the money :lol: Now my son wants me to see if I can find Hydrins wall :shock:

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Hadrian? That's up north old chap. You don't want to go there. ;)

Down south look out for George III, in chalk and also the Cerne Abbas giant. He is *very* pleased to see you.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

godzilla
Airman First Class

Post by godzilla »

Thanks Bader and Baza, I will take a look for these sites mentioned but have another questions are any of Englands other castles in the game also?

Trumper
BDG

Post by Trumper »

godzilla wrote:Thanks Bader and Baza, I will take a look for these sites mentioned but have another questions are any of Englands other castles in the game also?
:D Fly down the Thames through London,you may see some things you recognise :)

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

godzilla wrote:Thanks Bader and Baza, I will take a look for these sites mentioned but have another questions are any of Englands other castles in the game also?
Not *yet*, other than London. You will be able to find, not far from stonehenge, the Old Sarum hillfort earthworks at the south end of the Old Sarum airfield; you can also locate the Maiden castle hillfort earthworks near Warmwell, not far from that Cerne Abbas fellow, and the hill on which the Corfe castle ruins should stand, but we don't have a model yet. . Other items are on the agenda for the future, contingent on available modellers' time.

godzilla
Airman First Class

Post by godzilla »

Ah looks like I'll have lots of sights too check out this weekend :D One feature I came across flying NE out of Warmwell looked like an earth mound surrounded by a ring of tree's, it had a road leading up to the middle of it where it ended, was this one of these forts? Also stupid me forgot that BoB WOV had a zoom feature for the main map, is this the map you guys are using to pinpoint these sites?

Kinda off topic but these are features I really like in a sim. I know it's mostly all about simulating the combat experiance in this epic battle, but it does add so much more flying over an area and seeing something like an old fort works or castle ruins that you know is actually there in real life. The factories, ports, cities and towns are one thing, you almost take them for granted to be there, but these other features really add to the "WOW did I just see a (insert feature here) down there!"

Baza
BDG

Post by Baza »

To find Maiden Castle, fly due West from Warmwell and you will have Dorchester to your right (North) very soon. The MC earthwork is just at the South-West 'corner' and should be on your flight path.

Once you've found Maiden Castle, turn due North, again with Dorchester on your right (East, this time) and you should see a main road (the A352) going North. Follow this for a short while and it will lead you to Cerne Abbas and the hill figure of the Giant.

Good hunting :)
Barry

ASUS P5N32-E-SLI; Core2 Extreme QX6850(3GHz, 1333MHz FSB); 2xNVIDIA 8800 Ultra 768MB SLI; 2GB RAM PC6400 DDR2/800; Vista SP2; DX10; TIR5; mod MSFF2; Saitek Pro Flight - Quadrant, Pedals & Headset; TFS2; VAC; Dell 30"(2560x1600@60 hz)

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

MaidenCastle is a long oval shape, with several concentric ridges; Old Sarum is a circle (approximately), partially ringed by trees. O.S. is also distinguished by being just off the south end of an airfield with several hangars and a Tiger Moth parked at the other end.

Baza
BDG

Post by Baza »

Maiden Castle:

I'll let the Giant come as a surprise.
Barry

godzilla
Airman First Class

Post by godzilla »

PV wrote:MaidenCastle is a long oval shape, with several concentric ridges; Old Sarum is a circle (approximately), partially ringed by trees. O.S. is also distinguished by being just off the south end of an airfield with several hangars and a Tiger Moth parked at the other end.
Hi PV,
Then thats definately wasn't Maiden Castle I descibed earlier, it was almost a perfect circle, so it was definately OS.
Cheers

godzilla
Airman First Class

Post by godzilla »

Baza wrote:Maiden Castle:

I'll let the Giant come as a surprise.
Hi Baza,
:lol: well I have to admit I cheated Baza. Goggle Earth has an option that allows you to use a supplied flight sim in the application that allows you to fly over the area or feature your interested in. You can use some type of Cessna or Piper or an F-16, well of course I used the F-16 and almost augered in :o :lol:

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”