Not a happy - yet

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
iggy42
Airman Basic

Not a happy - yet

Post by iggy42 »

Ok guys - I know I'm going to get jumped on for this but I'm trying to be honest with you and I'll try and be dispassionate with this post.

In brief I'm disappointed with this product.
It's not polished and doesn't "feel" properly finished/tested. I've had Il2 on my HD from the moment it first appeared as a downloadable demo and I suppose that qualifies me as a Fanboy (I have admitted to being such in my only other post). I was hoping to be a fanboy of BobII but as it stands I'm not able to be.

In reality (like most of you I'm sure) I'm a fanboy of flight, military flight and flight sims in general. I wasn't pleased when CF3 turned out to be duff, I was disappointed. I wasn't pleased when SF:P1 turned out to be duff, once again -disappointment (better now after 5 patches).

I installed and played this with high hopes but it crashed out within minutes. I checked the forum and followed the advice given - latest drivers, mods to cfg's etc.

I played again and again and again - sometimes sound worked, sometimes not, force feed back then not, jerking graphics then smooth - then I stopped playing. If I wanted to be a beta tester I would have signed up for it (sorry dispassion slipped there). I've done this sort of thing before with CF3 - never again (I've have tried so many times with CF3 - clean installs, Firepower, D-Day).

I really want this flight sim to work - the proposition of this sim is so original and different from all the others.

Until it's fixed I'm not trying - it's uninstalled and going back. I appreciate that others have got it working nicely and that you are happy - I hope to join you soon, until then - I'll keep checking for patches.

Cheers, Iggy42

the_soupdragon
BDG

Post by the_soupdragon »

Just what in particular aren't you happy with?
I couldn't be happier ( well, maybe if I could get more FPS's). TBH I think this is a spectacular revamp of an already spectacular game, it has everyting the old Rowan sim had plus new things people were asking for, better graphics, better control inputs just better and more polished allround. Ok it isn't a massive step in regards to the original, but, were you really expecting a completely new game?
I feel SW have done more than enough to keep the game fresh and competetive in todays market. I am certain that the wrinkles we are suffering from now will be ironed out very soon and we will look at this sim anew.
Also due to the modularity of the game I hope we can expect more mods and maybe even maps and campaigns in the future. This is just the tip of the iceburg :)

SD

WanganuiLad
Senior Airman

Post by WanganuiLad »

the_soupdragon wrote:Just what in particular aren't you happy with?
I

SD

Read his post ! :shock:
E6420/8800GTS/MSFF2/Comfychair

iggy42
Airman Basic

Post by iggy42 »

WanganuiLad wrote:
the_soupdragon wrote:Just what in particular aren't you happy with?
I

SD

Read his post ! :shock:
:lol:

the_soupdragon
BDG

Post by the_soupdragon »

Oh yeah I forgot to do that I must go back and do that one day. Maybe when you reach puberty. :roll:
he said it was "Not polished" then goes of on some diatribe about FB and CFS3.
Not realy a good explanation or reason to not like a game is it! It's all in the details you see.

SD

WanganuiLad
Senior Airman

Post by WanganuiLad »

Puberty ?
Pardon ?

He said....

"I played again and again and again - sometimes sound worked, sometimes not, force feed back then not, jerking graphics then smooth - then I stopped playing."

Buzz
Airman First Class

Post by Buzz »

the_soupdragon wrote:Oh yeah I forgot to do that I must go back and do that one day. Maybe when you reach puberty. :roll:
he said it was "Not polished" then goes of on some diatribe about FB and CFS3.
Not realy a good explanation or reason to not like a game is it! It's all in the details you see.

SD
Here's a tip:

"I played again and again and again - sometimes sound worked, sometimes not, force feed back then not, jerking graphics then smooth - then I stopped playing."
Buzz

WanganuiLad
Senior Airman

Post by WanganuiLad »

great minds think alike :lol:

Buzz
Airman First Class

Post by Buzz »

:D
Buzz

GT182
Staff Sergeant

Post by GT182 »

Ok, if you are having trouble playing BOB2 you need to post your system specs. It could be that that your system and such could be the problem and not the sim it's self.
"War does not determine who is right- only who is left" Bertrand Russell

Member Of Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, Pa.
Tour Coordinator KILG and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG
Bombs-Away.net

iggy42
Airman Basic

Post by iggy42 »

GT182 wrote:Ok, if you are having trouble playing BOB2 you need to post your system specs. It could be that that your system and such could be the problem and not the sim it's self.
Yes - always a possibility, but I hope not as it does exceed the min spec with reasonable comfort:

Athlon XP 3000+
XP SP2
1.25 GB RAM
ATI 9800 (driver v5.8)
Audigy 2 - latest drivers
7200 rpm HD
MS SwFFD

I know it's not high spec by any standard but I hoped it would handle BobII. Does run Il2 on perfect nicely and handles lockon if I don't go verboard on the eye-candy. BTW I was running Bob II without AA and triple buffering.

Cheers All

GT182
Staff Sergeant

Post by GT182 »

Iggy, it seems your system should run it just fine. Can't see whay it won't unless the Audigy2 is causing a problem. If I remember right it did with some running IL2 FB with merged PF. Can't remember their fix tho and I'm only using my onboard sound. I too had crashes with the last Beta file I got. Ran it several times with the same CTD result and it's not fixed yet. Hang in there mate, they'll work on a fix soon.
"War does not determine who is right- only who is left" Bertrand Russell

Member Of Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, Pa.
Tour Coordinator KILG and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG
Bombs-Away.net

iggy42
Airman Basic

Post by iggy42 »

Cheers GT

It's gone back for now but I hate to admit defeat, and I'm encouraged by Scott and the general attitude of this community. I look forward to trying this sim in the future.

Oh and to Soup - I agree with you (in principle), I played this the first time round and I loved it; I hope to again :)

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”