THESE are the DOVER CLIFFS???

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
3ra_Luke
Airman First Class

Post by 3ra_Luke »

Snuffly, please. You dont need to use that kind of languaje here.

I dont know what were your hopes for this game, but from the begining, it was clear that was just a update from the original game.
The terrain was one of the first things that the devs team told will be "untouched".

I see this sim as a begining. I´m confident on its "moddability" and in the Shockwave/BDG team. They dont need anybody to insult them for knowing about that i.e."all aircraft use the same maekings". They alreasy know it and are working on it. I´m sure while you or me are now at home drinking a beer (Here 9:45, so its soon for that, just an example :wink: ) and browsing in the net, they are working in ways to improve details of the sim.
Now, the scheduled release date rules, so some features cant be included on the final version. They are working on them. Be patient, but if you cant wait, return your copy and wait two years for Oleg´s BoB.

I´m still waiting my copy. Patience.

Boandlgramer
Senior Airman

Post by Boandlgramer »

the cliffs of dover in reallity

and

if you compare it with size of the ships , then the cliffs in the game are not that bad.
[/img]
Last edited by Boandlgramer on 30 Aug 2005, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

Boandlgramer
Senior Airman

Post by Boandlgramer »

bushbaby
Airman

Post by bushbaby »

Speaking from white cliff country the cliffs are Ok. They are not very tall in reality and not very spectacular from the air. The Seven Sisters far to the west in Sussex is usually held up as the Dover cliffs anyway.

SeaNorris
Airman

Post by SeaNorris »

Its not a bad card ffs.

ashley2005
Airman

Post by ashley2005 »

if i remember right cant we add our own 3rd party stuff ?

Nausicaa
Airman

Post by Nausicaa »

Hello,

here is a guy talking who actually stood by the Dover cliffs. :wink:
You know, they aren't really high (don't imagine anyting canyon-line or something), they rather stand out visually, as the white color marks a sharp contrats to the sea and the green hills. If you are high up in a plane, like on the pic, they would look just like you see it there.
If I wold critisize the pic, I would just say that they look a little artificial to me, a litte "blocky", if you see what i mean. But the height could be rather correct---difficult to judge from the shot---well, I guess its an old game reworked, and we must learn that it has it's limitations...

Think about all the good that it brings. The cup is more then half-full in comparaison to other airwar sims.

Best,

Nausicaa
Nausicaa /Kommodore Jagdgeschwader 101

Don E. Brooke
Airman First Class

Post by Don E. Brooke »

ashley2005 wrote:if i remember right cant we add our own 3rd party stuff ?
As one who has worked upon the terrain in BOB1, I can say "Yes, you can."

The Image files for the terrain can be replaced, and there is a mod floating around that replaces the original images with ones from CFS(1 or 2). I believe they should still work with BoB:WoV. But replacing the terrain images will not change the general layout. Roads will still be in the same place, and rivers and lakes will still be there also. It is because of the terrain coding that Rowan originally used. If you wish to change the layout of the roads, rivers, railroads, etc., it will take some work. But if you want "snow" covered terrain, there is a mod for that, I believe. :)

As for the Dover Cliffs, the height and appearance are determined by the "height" map, a underlying mesh, possibly created by global terrain data
Rowan acquired. The problem is, as I understand, the smallest terrain altitude change is something like 10 meters, which means you can have a cliff 30 feet high, or at zero. The program will "slope" the terrain from high to low point, so you get a gradually diminishing cliff face (as in the shot at the start of this thread). This gives a rather limited contour option for the creation of terrain. (This is my limited understanding of how the terrain works).

So to have a "finer" contour elevation for the cliffs, this means that the "code" will have to be modified, and with a limited amount of coders (somebody mentioned 100s of people working on this project, and I had to laugh) it will likely not be in the near future.

But can it be done? Oh, yes. All you need is time and knowledge. :)

Don E.

fly_boy
Airman First Class

Post by fly_boy »

Boandlgramer wrote:the cliffs of dover in reallity

and

if you compare it with size of the ships , then the cliffs in the game are not that bad.
[/img]
Not to change your gent's pleasent conversation but I happen to notice in your "Cliffs of Dover" photo (the real one) that farm land is right along the coast of these cliffs? Do the English farm all the way up to the ocean like that? Why? I 'd hate to drive a trator off one of those!

Just seems strange to me......................................

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

_Snuffly_

You're a pathetic excuse for a person. Blaming your problems on your father of all people. You sound extremely like a liberal. To which I am sorry to hear it.

As far as telling Stickman to ....... you already did as much by saying you were not. And far be it from you to be considered "mature". Your attitude and approach are all indicative of someone of lower intelligence.

The explination that was given was adequate enough for me. WOV is an attempt to put a few updated graphics on an already antiquated simulation. If Stickman says the coding is not there to make these cliffs what you would expect them to be I am sorry for you. But this is not a new simulation written from the ground up ... this is a simulation that is getting a make over as best as can be, and it's pretty good.

Shockwave spent their time in improving the aircraft models, graphics, flight characteristics and other things that were considered to be more important to this simulation.

Landscape elements have always been a short coming of this sim from its inception, and the team (I don't know where you get your numbers, 100?) are not solely dedicated to just rewriting this sim, they have real lives, families, and other things that unfortunatley detract from their efforts. If they were part of an actual corporation with everyone sitting in gilded offices doing this then I would have expected an improvement in the landscape features of this sim as well, BUT being as how they are not and are doing this in a part time fashion for most of them, they've done a great job.

I really don't feel that your sadly disappointing "wet dream" of the Cliffs of Dover are cause for you to act like a complete imbicile and allow you to sound off about it.

Getting banned from this site and whining on a whiner board like the IL2 forums I'm sure is not as serious a concequnce as you let on like it to be. The simple solution here is this ... you don't like what you see, fine turn your back and walk away. This community would be far better off without you I'm sure.

And you really need to seriously consider a name change! It's far too close to mine which I've had forever to be comfortable.
Snuffy

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Come on everyone - ease off. In all fairness, that isn't exactly a flattering screenshot of the cliffs in game, but the one part of this game that is still older technology is the terrain.

On the positive note, at altitude, nothing touches the way this terrain is drawn out. I'm the first to say where a game like IL-2 is great, but it doesn't come close to BOB2's terrain at altitude. Just fly to 15,000 ft in both games, look out on the horizon and you will see what I mean.

Anyway, let's let this thread rest. We all know the cliffs could look better, but when you look at this game for how encompassing it is, it's just one very small aspect of an otherwise great game.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

jobace
Airman

Post by jobace »

wise words scott :)
i for one am looking forward to get my copy.
from what i have already seen; i am very confident that it is going to be an immersive sim despite the initial problems .
you and your team are doing a great job coping with them and helping people on this forum.
cheers and greetings from belgium

SnoopBaron
Airman

Post by SnoopBaron »

Snuffy_Haden, you need to calm down.

Snuffly, was only posting his opinion. Some took it personally and tempers flared a little bit, it's easy to get upset when someone criticizes something you love so I don't blame stickman. But since then things have calmed down and stickman even apologized a bit. Since then the thread has become productive and we even got to see some pictures of the real thing.

I personally know Snuffly and he is a great guy, and you do not know who he is. Sometimes it is easy to forget that we are talking to other human beings when posting on these forums. I hope you will take back what you said.

Snoop
:FI:Snoop Baron

the_soupdragon
BDG

Post by the_soupdragon »

Bollox

SD

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”