Has anyone tried BOB2WOV inside a VirtualBox VM?

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
withnail
Airman First Class

Has anyone tried BOB2WOV inside a VirtualBox VM?

Post by withnail »

I've used VirtualBox quite successfully in the past for retro gaming, has anyone tried installing Windows 7 in a VirtualBox VM and installing BOB2WOV as a way to get it running (sort of) within Windows 10/11?
I'll have a go but was just wondering if anyone has tried it before I spend too long on it?

Lofty Anstruther
Senior Airman

Re: Has anyone tried BOB2WOV inside a VirtualBox VM?

Post by Lofty Anstruther »

I haven’t. If you give it a try do please let us all know how you get on. Good luck if you do give it a go.
"Home and tea. For once you deserve it, well done everybody"

withnail
Airman First Class

Post by withnail »

You can only get VirtualBox to have a maximum of 256MB video memory, so I think it's not worth pursuing further.
Looks like it will have to be dual boot.

Lofty Anstruther
Senior Airman

Hi Withnail
As you may be aware Buddye & Prem are working with great commitment & skill to try to get the latter versions of BoB to run properly in win10 & win11.
If you haven’t done so already you might want to drop into the following thread to see what they’ve been up to:
https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 45#p580345

If you’ve any thoughts or ideas I know they would be very welcome.
Cheers
Lofty

TPolak
Airman Basic

Post by TPolak »

has anyone tried installing Windows 7 in a VirtualBox VM and installing BOB2WOV as a way to get it running (sort of) within Windows 10/11?
Hi,
I am sort of newcomer/passerby to BOB2 trying to run it on my win10 system.
I have managed to install it a while ago, however after some successes in early/initial tutorials I end up crashing or freezing sim in most situations when there were more planes involved.

In my earlier discussions on this forum I was told the best solution was to install dual boot win 7+win10 on SSD and take it from there.

I am now forced to replace older hard drive and have 1TB SSD and new Dell 2TB HD ready but I am looking for detailed procedure and instruction how this can be done step by step.
Any suggestion would be welcomed and appreciated.
Last edited by TPolak on 05 Apr 2024, 18:38, edited 2 times in total.

Lofty Anstruther
Senior Airman

Yes, I’d find that helpful too.

Boreas
Technical Sergeant

Post by Boreas »

Well I only have a very elementary understanding and it might not be up to date. But the bios should see and list any drive attached to the motherboard (maybe even via usb these days). You can also partition a physical hard drive in windows so the bios will see each partition as a separate drive. The bios tries to boot from each drive in a sequence that you can change. Used to be initially the floppy drive and cd drive (so from a disk you could format a hard drive and install windows) then the hard drive or hard drives next. In my case if I want to change from xp to vista, I press the key to go into the bios when the pc is starting up and change the order of the drives the bios looks at to boot from. My other machine was set up by someone who hopefully knew a bit more and it asks me to select the windows win7 installation I want from the screen each time I start it up without going into the bios. Best be very very cautious with new equipment of course.

Britech seem to be a good source of info and their 'How to Dual Boot Windows 7 and Windows 10' might be of interest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApNeefM3pks

Lofty Anstruther
Senior Airman

Thanks Boreas.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”