Can BoB2 test out Goerings plan?

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
Uriah
Senior Airman

Can BoB2 test out Goerings plan?

Post by Uriah »

I have been reading 'The Few' and that has brought to mind the question 'Was Goering right?' His plan was to bomb the heck out of the RAF bases and so gain air superiority to allow the invasion. He believed the fighters had to protect the bombers (that were being dissimated (sorry on spelling)) by the RAF. Moelders and Galland wanted to just go hunting for the RAF fighters and not be tied to protecting the bombers. The thing is the RAF did come close to collapse. Goering did not know this and so went along with the advice to bomb the cities and so draw out the RAF fighters that would have to come in to attact the bombers more on Goerings time table and such. So, could Moelders and Galland been right when we know that Goering was so close to victory? To put it another way - if the Moelders/Galland wish been followed from the start and not changed would that have achieved victory for achieving air superiority?

And, can this game test the theories out?
Race you to the Mucky Duck!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

yes
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Zorro
Senior Airman

Post by Zorro »

That is an example of another one of Hitler's !WOOPS! moments when his syphilis cut in and had a brain fart due to his unrelenting ravenous temper. Had Hitler stuck to his guns so to speak, and used the logical part of his grey matter, he would have caused a lot more damage to Britain. Imagine the RAF knocked out, then he decides to bomb Britain into the sea? Imagine if he had success building the A bomb? One pass then bye bye to his enemies.

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

The BOBII Campaign is designed to permit the player to test out possible German approaches in attacking the RAF during the BOB.

The player can also test out different RAF approaches to defending.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

PappyCain
BDG

Post by PappyCain »

The player can also test out different RAF approaches to defending.
Ah yes ... and even an American approach to aggressive HellBent Fighter combat tactics!

(just had to get that in ... :D )
"Was it something I said?" - 'Moggy' Cattermole 'Piece of Cake'
Core 2 Duo E6700, ASUS P5N-E-SLI, 2GB Corsair DDR2 PC6400,ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti, Coolermaster 650W PSU and Case, Audigy 2ZS Platinum, 5.1 Z-640, XP Pro, 22" CHIMEI LCD

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

This is exactly what the BoBII dynamic campaign allows, Uriah. A full war game in the air.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

heinkill
BDG

Post by heinkill »

I recently got an undeniable urge to ignore everything else and just go back to playing BOB2 campaign again, to rediscover the joy of the sim...

I don't usually take the RAF side, and this time I did, and after reading the book Spitfire, Portrait of a Legend, which discusses the strategic elements of the battle in some depth, I decided to try something different.

The book says (which I didn't really know) that partly the well known animosity between Park (11 Group) and Leigh Mallory (12 Group) was because Park was not proactive in using the resources of 12 Group to assist in defending SE England. We all know about their fight over the value of the Big Wing of which Leigh Mallory was such a fan, but this argument was about Park's seeming determination to fight the fight all on his own, and leave 12 Group Squadrons idle on the ground while his own resources were stretched to the limit over 11 Group airspace.

So I tried this scenario: Luftwaffe tactics set to optimal (IE not historical, but continued pressure on RAF airfields) and as RAF commander I would only use 12 Group or 13 Group resources as an absolute last resort.

The beauty of BOB2 is that you can explore all sorts of scenarios...

What happened: it was damned near impossible. By Aug 27 I had nearly a third of my squadrons in 11 Group Cat C (ie unuseable), by Sept 7 it was 50%. My coastal airfields were all a shambles, and half my London airfields too. I had to use 12 Group to cover London, despite my best efforts, just to keep the Germans at bay a bit longer but by 12 Sept it was all over. Jackboots marching on Trafalgar Square.

Park was damned lucky and now I better understand why he was sent to a training squadron after the Battle (and Dowding, who did nothing to better coordinate the defence, was similarly put to pasture.)

OK, curiosity satisfied, I'm ready to come back to the world again! Did I miss much?

8)
Looking for BOB missions, campaigns, and historical resources?

http://bobgamehub.blogspot.com

PappyCain
BDG

Post by PappyCain »

Heinkill,

Interesting developments to be sure. I am in my 8th campaign and have yet to lose against the Luftwaffe although it has been pretty close on several scores. Playing Command (2D) I regularly pull several 12 Group sqaudrons down to 11 Group fields and am not concerned about a flights moral - up they go - and in 2D I overmatch the 'incoming' first by intercepting bombers after the 109s pass and then with waves of reinforcements piling in on the 109s ...

I usually am leading my squadron once I have my 2D directives in play and I exact my squads interceptions to keep the enemy preoccupied, cut them off before the target, or nail them on egress. Hammer is the rule. Keep hammering away.

To be honest, I think I get away with my tactics because I never seem to be low on fuel - what I mean there are no shortages of petrol to supply my flights and put my flights up ONLY when there is incoming. No patrols! :D

My goal is attrition - theirs, not mine. I fly advanced with no do-dads and in cockpit and a good sortie for me is coming home alive with my boys.

I especially like the radio commands as they function extremely well with my AI. I do have a few good days when I claim 3, mostly 2s, 1s, and 0s.

The exhilaration is also in the Command strategic planning and day to day ops. I manage my squads.

One thing I must say - cannot fly the dark side. BUT I do have a campaign where I watch a Luftwaffe campaign like a movie to see what they are up too and that is quite fun - it is better than TV and I can work on my other PC and glance over at your side! :D
"Was it something I said?" - 'Moggy' Cattermole 'Piece of Cake'
Core 2 Duo E6700, ASUS P5N-E-SLI, 2GB Corsair DDR2 PC6400,ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti, Coolermaster 650W PSU and Case, Audigy 2ZS Platinum, 5.1 Z-640, XP Pro, 22" CHIMEI LCD

heinkill
BDG

Post by heinkill »

If you want to see me, look in your mirror.

ratatatataatatatatttt

:wink:
Looking for BOB missions, campaigns, and historical resources?

http://bobgamehub.blogspot.com

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”