The BDG is always looking for Testers and other Skills

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
Buddye
BDG

The BDG is always looking for Testers and other Skills

Post by Buddye »

The BDG is always looking for BOBII testers. We also always need campaign testers both RAF and LUF. The testing is mostly just loading up the new software files for the upcoming update, playing the game, and reporting anything different (regression) or any bugs you see. It is not hard or difficult and if you enjoy BOBII can even be fun.

The requirements for a BDG Beta Tester are simple and not difficult. We do not require previous game or software testing experience. Here are the key requirements:

1. Some interest in BOBII ,WWII history, and maybe A/C history
2. Ability to install files and overview understanding of PC operation
3. Willing to learn BOBII game play details both Instant Action and the Campaign
4. Have the hobby time to help test and keep up with the release status

The BDG is a mature/friendly “G” rated freeware group (we do not get paid by anyone) and we really answer to no one. We work on the BOBII projects that interest us and help out where we can. It is a “no pressure” approach and each BDG’er does what ever they have time for. We all work part time and we all have real lives that take priority.

We also have many other tasks and jobs that may require special skills:
1. C++ coder/programmer
2. User Manual (Microsoft word and adobe)
3. FM Engineer
4. Research for new requirements
5. Artist using 3D tools (either 3D Max or Blender are our current favorates)
6. New Object placement and Landscape changes (Using existing Tools)

If you have some hobby time, meet the requirements, and are interested in joining the BDG to help us enhance and fix BOBII please PM Buddye.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

chumleigh
BDG

Post by chumleigh »

Buddye:

If you believe I am capable I'd be happy to help out. If you don't, I won't be offended. I should mention that I need to get some campaign time in before I'd meet the requirements. I've been too busy messing with graphics cards, gunsights, and TrackIR. I also need to spend more time in the Stuka and the ME110.
Anyway let me know if I can lend a hand somehow.

Chumleigh
(2) striped WD 10,000rpm SATA HDD's, Intel QX9650 CPU, EVGA 790i Ultra SLI, Ultra X3 1000 Watt SLI PSU (4x1GB) OCZ 2000MHz SLI DDR3, XP Pro 64, (2) EVGA 512MB 8800 GTS GPU's, Saitek stick and pedals, TrackIR 5, HP w2408h -1920X1200

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

shumleigh,

Please play the Campaign (which ever side you prefer) and get a feel of it.
You may see some buggered stuff that you feel is not good.
We are just looking into the Campaign problems for the first time this year.
Buddye did a LOT of work improving the AI. Now he is venturing into the Campaign.

I am helping him test Campaign Reports (which many users have said are confusing and bogus).
Buddye can multi-task and code/test other things as well.

First, get a feel for the simulation, and what bothers you mostly.

----------

I wish I could afford some of that fancy flooring you make. :):
I did start a home refinancing deal today, with CountryWide and FHA, dropping my interest rate from 7.75% to a 6.00%
(plus a car and and other big loan consolidation). 30 year fixed.
I am 54 years old, and bought my first house 1 1/2 years ago. I was a Gypsy for a long time...
Maybe I can keep this house, which I like.
What a mess we are in now with the banking and housing!
OK! No politics or religion!

Buddye is always looking for intelligent free thinking testers.

Aloha!

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Hi Chumleigh,

Yes, the BDG would be very happy for you to help us test 2.08 and beyond.

Stickmans, advice is correct, you might want to spend some time on the campaign as good campaign players are getting rare and we need them.

I will add you to the Beta Test Forum. The next time you log on you can come in and introduce yourself to the guys with a short note about yourself.

You will need to read the forum to understand what all we are doing. Take your time. I want you to start by setting up your PC for AI testing which you already understand.

Please read the following link carefully (it is 8 pages but I want you to have a full background):

http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... hp?t=10031

Post your test reports on the link and also any questions you may have and either the guys or me will try to answer them. Read the directions carefully to get your PC set up for 2.08 AI testing and ask if you need help.

Let me the first to welcome you aboard the BDG beta test team.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

chumleigh
BDG

Post by chumleigh »

Hello Stickman:
Thank you for taking the time to check out our inlays. If I could afford my own products I'd probably go and buy another RC tank or something. I guess I'm more at home in a warehouse than a house!
Congratulations, by the way, and good luck as well! If it took you this long to take the plunge, I've know doubt you'll keep your head above water!

Thanks Buddye:
I haven't had a job interview in long time. It's a lot less painful than I remember.
My God -- 8 pages -- what have I done?! It's good timing though. I'm grounded until my 8800GTS arrives from EVGA. At that point my system will be pretty well maxed out.
I'm looking forward to this adventure. It'll be a pleasure to help. Just gaining the ability to answer some of my own dumb questions ought to save you guys some time!
(2) striped WD 10,000rpm SATA HDD's, Intel QX9650 CPU, EVGA 790i Ultra SLI, Ultra X3 1000 Watt SLI PSU (4x1GB) OCZ 2000MHz SLI DDR3, XP Pro 64, (2) EVGA 512MB 8800 GTS GPU's, Saitek stick and pedals, TrackIR 5, HP w2408h -1920X1200

marine
Technical Sergeant

programmers

Post by marine »

Buddye.
Have talked to my sons mate,who is a software programmer,(which i told you about)he lives in Denver,but he says his spare time is taken up at the moment,he is a fitness fanatic,always biking off somewhere,,tried my best to persuade him,he said he would give it some thought later in the year,so usually that means a no at the moment.
Sorry about that,pity. :(
I will keep on at him though.
you live and learn,and die and forget.

CPU Intel E8400 Core 2 [email protected] O/[email protected] CRUCIAL MEM 6400,V/C Ati 6870 1GB mem,MB GA- p35ds3r,s/c 5.1 santa cruz,Viewsonic 2650 LCD 26" Screen

Jethro
Technical Sergeant

Post by Jethro »

Don't waste your time on him mate (kidding :wink: ), when he'll loose his appetite for fitness he'll be hooked (rightfully) by his appetite for girls. :lol: :wink:

Regards,
J

PutCashIn
Airman First Class

Post by PutCashIn »

Hello.

My er, handle is 'PutCashIn,'

I'd really like to help with your beta/3rd party development of BOB2:WOV, a game that almost brings a tear to my eye at its classic similarity to BOB: Thier Finest Hour, an old Commodore Amiga game I played as a young skulk.

To put it simply, this game is awsome.

I have a couple of average gaming systems, I play games intensivley as a hobby (dont worry, I go running sometimes , lol).
29, Male, Live in New Zealand, I dont know C++ but I have a couple of degrees for smarts and used to be a soldier for brawn.

I use the key board, play the campaign, which I'm slowly learning.
I really think there should be a walkthrough of at least the first 12 days of both campiagns on these forums, I'm pretty keen for it if I can learn how to take screen shots of the campaign map view - I know theres a bit in the manual on campaigns, but who looks at those lol.

Also the OP mentioned testing and asset creation, plus theres alot of things in the campaign that need addressing, like certain oil tanks and warehouses that wont fall over even if I hit them with 800 aircraft, grrr!

Anyway, as well as learning the campaign and game, after all the mods, patches, updates, walkthroughs, webpages and hints I've used in 27 years of gaming, I thought it would be nice to give a little back.....

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Hi PutCashIn,

Yes, the BDG would be very happy for you to help us test 2.09 and beyond.

I will add you to the Beta Test Forum. The next time you log on you can come in and introduce yourself to the guys with a short note about yourself.

You will need to read the forum to understand what all we are doing. Take your time. I want you to start by setting up your PC for the 2.09 testing (currently Dispersion, AAA, and Flak) by just downloading the EXE files and paste them into your BOBII folder. The long thread is the 2.09 testing thread.

Post your test reports on the 2.09 link and also any questions you may have and either the guys or me will try to answer them.

Let me the first to welcome you aboard the BDG beta test team.
Buddye

Mraah
Airman First Class

Re: The BDG is always looking for Testers and other Skills

Post by Mraah »

Buddye,

I'd like to join the beta team but my skills would only be as a tester, however, I have dabbled into mods with other games so I like to dig into the game more than just a casual player.

Just a short resume ...

1. BOBII Campaign experience - I've been jumping back and forth into the game over the past year as new patches have been coming out but recently I've been playing this 100% of the time. I currently finished a LW campaign by manually selecting the missions (cancelling the directives) and digging into how best to run and understand how everything works. I just started an RAF campaign and already spotted a bug with regards to the LW generating a mission that allowed the mission to run beyond the 2000hrs time restriction (more detail later if you want). The RAF campaign is easier to understand after running a LW camp so just after a few days of game time I've been able to work out it's logic.

2. BOBII FM - I've been running IA missions with the move codes on (as you've seen with my transition observation). Also, I've worked with the manual pitch control and I've posted the autopitch problem with the spit/hurricane (at 50% throttle, constant switching to high/low rpm within 185-210 ias). I've looked at other aspects of the FM, ie my drag post at matrix, but I contributed that the operator error for the most part. Unfortunately, since I've never flown any of the planes in RL, it's hard to comment on the FM without embarrassing oneself :oops: .

3. Other games/mods expereince -
a. Recently, at the Matrix Forum, I've gotten into model design (milkshape3D), animations, mods, with the Panzer Command Kharkov ... although quite the amateur.
b. The UBISOFT game, Silent Hunter 4 ... I jumped into modding and fixing the radar for the sub's before the patches came out. With this, I taught myself how to read .fx code which really helped, but it was trial/error type of work. I have no coding experience.
c. The older online games, Airwarrior and Warbirds ... I played these back when they first came out. Warbirds ended up being my favorite with the enhanced FM. I flew all the 109 models, E-K, and I taught myself how to defeat the spitfire (and most of the turn fight a/c) using manuevers that were either RL or using smoke and mirrors to give the spit driver the impression I was outturning him (low/high yo-yo) .... but they ended up being defensive manuevers which bought time for my wingmen to get lined up for the kill.

4. RL related experience -
a. Private Pilot - (I haven't flown for over 18 years)
b. A@P Mechanic - I hold a licence for an airframe and powerplant but haven't practiced since my graduation back in the 90's) - I found this helpfull when understanding the prop control and I have ideas regarding damage to the engine (ie, oil system) that may help you guys simulate lost of oil and it's negative effects. Again, it's been over 10 years but I still retain the basic info which could probably be attained thru the web these days anyway.
c. Enroute Air Traffic Controller - Although not very useful for a WWII sim, the RDF system is of great interest to me and I've wondered how close to RL it's modeled. I've been running LW missions based on the RDF to find the holes. With this, I've wondered if the LW campaign code is setup to take advantage of known holes it creates. The key was to take out the RDF every day irregardless of what the primary directive stated, ie, convoys are the primary targets but you can't destroy the convoys if they have early warning.

Anyway, I'd like to jump in and begin some testing for the team with whatever project needs it. I'd like to work on the campaign testing the most.

Thanks,
Rob

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

Glad to have you on board, Mraah :)
Buddye will enable the beta forum for you.
In depth BoBII experience is not necessary (although helpful), more important are time, willingness to help and common sense when writing bug resports. Some people,. if they would treat their doctor as they treat SW developers, would go in say "I have a pain" and when the doctor asks "where?" would say "You are the doctor, you should know without me telling you!".

Anyway, we can always use more testers.

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Osram wrote:Some people,. if they would treat their doctor as they treat SW developers, would go in say "I have a pain" and when the doctor asks "where?" would say "You are the doctor, you should know without me telling you!".
Very true ;)

Ranting is so much easier than actually helping. Fortunately we have a mature community here so we are generally beyond that.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Thanks Mraah,

Let me be the first to say thanks. I am very happy to welcome you to the BDG team.

I have added you to the Beta Forum (you should see it the next time you log on to A2A forum). Take your time and read the threads to get a good understanding of the work. The BDG is a low key group and you will be your own boss. I recomend you start by picking up the new EXE and helping test it. Ask questions as needed.

You might want to post a introduction so all the guys can say "Howdy" (that is Texan for Hi).

BTW, modding is a big passion for many of the BDG members and it can be learned slowly if you are interested. Stickman can offer some help and advice , I think.
Buddye

paleeagle
Senior Airman

Post by paleeagle »

Hello all.

I am not sure if I have missed the boat here since the last post was back in Dec but we will see.

I have been toying with the idea of offering my services as a tester for some time now but have been a little nervous that I would not have enough time or knowledge to report back to you with the regularity that you need.

But I am a campaign player more so than instant action and I play nearly every night for 2 to 3 hours.(unless the wench moans but that isnt often :wink: )

So if you think I could be of some help I am willing to give it a go. (Even if you fire me after 1 day lol )

Let me know if you need me.

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Buddye will let you in when he sees this. He is the Testers forum moderator.
Campaign testers are needed.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”