Enhancement Request GPSS

new reply
Sportster64
Airman

Enhancement Request GPSS

Post by Sportster64 »

Can this be added as a possible feature of the 250 ?
The Stec 30 has the ability to follow gps courses with the addition of the GPSS, GPS steer module. ST-901 GPSS.
Can we add this to enable the 250 to follow flight plans and also allow the ifr gps to follow approach courses ?

Sportster64
Airman

Re: Enhancement Request GPSS

Post by Sportster64 »

Does anyone monitor this forum ?
Over a week, and no response from the A2A team.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

I'm a bit confused about what advantage that would be...you do know that the S-TECH 30 will already follow a GPS flight plan with either the GNS530 or GTN750?
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Well, the S-TEC 30 does need a bit of help with any turns (or at least sharp ones) in a GPS flight plan Rob, it's just trying to keep the CDI centred and doesn't have any intercept routine to steer itself onto the next leg.

However, no plans at this time to add further autopilot options Sportster64. The autopilot installation in the simulated Comanche is just like one in the aircraft it's modelled on: a simple AP which requires a bit of input from the pilot now and again. :)

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 11:27 I'm a bit confused about what advantage that would be...you do know that the S-TECH 30 will already follow a GPS flight plan with either the GNS530 or GTN750?
These were a bit pop in GA when I studied avionics. The idea being that most higher-end RNAVs could output TRK and by-whatever-logic calculated DTK to get where the box wanted you to be. The difference of these two can be used to drive stuff such as flight director, to make it NAV nicely on FMS, or GPS, or whatever source. In an aircraft having such conveniences, that is.

Small GAs don't really know where they are going (the DGs usually point just somewhere). But most have a heading bug, that can generate an offset signal for HD modes or alike, for whatever angle the bug is off from your HSI's top. Somebody somewhere did some arithmetic, and added up that as it was the difference in between the TRK and DTK that you were interested to zero out, and the absolute difference in between them, from the heading bug or any such reference remained the same regardless of where the said bug or reference was pointed. So, simply by making the heading bug signal as your reference, you could just feed that TRK-to-DTK difference directly into the heading bug offset signal. Basically, making the aircraft to GPS Steer.

And, interestingly, therefore you'd most often be in HD(G) mode for the GPSS to work your NAV in such implementations.

Cool stuff, but if ever implemented, I'd like to have it properly Accu-Sim'ed. :)

Edit: How many actually cares how this stuff works? :mrgreen:

-Esa

Capt. Timeter
Senior Airman

Post by Capt. Timeter »

AKar wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 13:35 Edit: How many actually cares how this stuff works? :mrgreen:
Start a poll, maybe? :lol:
Regards,
Al

Frank.O
Airman First Class

Post by Frank.O »

Hi all,

my humble opinion: I‘d like the autopilot to stay exactly as it is.
I almost never use it anyway. And if I have to on rare occasions it is simple enough to use it without pulling out the manual. :
Where is the fun in watching the autopilot fly this living airplane anyway. :mrgreen:

Regards, Frank

Sportster64
Airman

Post by Sportster64 »

Frank.
You can use these the same, with or without Gpss.
It just allows the AP to follow a true flight plan as entered into the GPS, and eliminates some pilot workload of using heading mode to do what GpsS can do to add to the ap function.

It is usually selected via a toggle switch to enable or disable the function.
It brings the stec30 closer to modern auto pilots, but again , can be toggled off on most panels i have seen.

Frank.O wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 05:55 Hi all,

my humble opinion: I‘d like the autopilot to stay exactly as it is.
I almost never use it anyway. And if I have to on rare occasions it is simple enough to use it without pulling out the manual. :
Where is the fun in watching the autopilot fly this living airplane anyway. :mrgreen:

Regards, Frank

new reply

Return to “Comanche 250 for MSFS”