Can't map keys to CH throttle

jhsimpson
Airman

Can't map keys to CH throttle

Post by jhsimpson »

hello all,

new to bob2 and am trying to map keys to my CH throttle w/o any success. I have a MS FFB2 joystick, CH Products pedals, the CH throttle, and TrackIR4 pro. When i go into "Controls/ Key mapping", I select OUTSIDETOG and then move to the right to assign a key to the throttle. After clicking the button I want to use, nothing appears in the right column and, of course, nothing happens when I try to use that button in the game. What am I doing wrong? I've printed the users manual, tried finding answers here on the forums but I still am having this problem.

HELP!!

Please,

Jim S

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Hi Jim,

Welcome to BOBII. I assume you have the CH throttle working in game (axis assigned correctly but if not see step #1-#5) and the issue is the assigning buttons.

Try these steps to assign the buttons (step #6 abd #7):

1) Before you start trying to configure your stick in game, make sure all switches are OFF.

2) CONTROLLERS, CUSTOM
This is where you can assign the main joystick axis.
Left click on the required axis under the "assign axis" list. The axis should be highlighted red. The move the required axis in it's full range of motion and it should be recognized.

3)If you make a mistake with the axis assignment, highlight the one you want to undo then click on "clear" to return to it's default setting.

4)Repeat until all main axis have been assigned to your liking.
Once complete, click on CONTINUE (top right of screen). And when asked if you want your changes saved, click on YES.

5)IMPORTANT. Now, exit the game back to desktop, then restart it. The game does not permanently keep any changes or settings unless it has been quit & restarted (CTD does not count).

6)Go back to controllers, then click on KEYMAPPING.

7)Scroll through the list, and left click with the mouse once to highlight the current button/key assign to the control of your choice. At the bottom, a message will appear:

"polling input devices.. please press the button you want to map, or the "cancel" button to stop polling. Press "clear" button to remove a mapping."

When you press the required stick button or key, this should be recognised and listed by the function you wanted to remap.

Repeat for all commands required.

NOTE: You must hit "save" on the bottom left of the screen to save the joystick keys. If you leave without hitting save the keys will "not" be saved.

You might also want to look at and download our "key description" document which can help you understand BOBII keys:

http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... php?t=8331
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

jhsimpson
Airman

Post by jhsimpson »

THANK YOU sir for the quick reply!!! The instructions you provided are what I am doing....that's why I'm so confused. When I enter the button on the throttle, nothing appears in the right hand side, but I still go ahead and save it only to find out that it didn't "take". I have printed up the "Keyboard Conversion Chart for BoB Developers Group" in hopes of finding where I screwed something up (the usual reason for my problems!) but it seems I'm doing everything as indicated but without any success.

Thanks again,

Jim S

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Hmm, strange but I do not have a CH throttle on my rig but I think we have many customers with throttles and buttons.

Then you see the "polling input devices.. please press the button you want to map, or the "cancel" button to stop polling. Press "clear" button to remove a mapping." message but nothing happens when you push a button. Correct?

Is the throttle working in the game except for the buttons (just to be sure the software config it).

I bet we have other CH Throttle customers but I can not remember one offhand.

Here is a screen shot of what you should see. Note the polling message that the SW is ready for the button press. also NOTE the "red" highlight where I lef clicked. The Warning box should/will come up when you press the button.

Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

jhsimpson
Airman

Post by jhsimpson »

Hi again Buddye,

I think this is where my problem lies. When I enter a button on any of the controllers, I don't see it on the right-hand side of the Key Mapping selection area. It's as if BoB2 doesn't recognize any input from my controllers.

Thanks again,'

Jim S

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Then you see the "polling input devices.. please press the button you want to map, or the "cancel" button to stop polling. Press "clear" button to remove a mapping." message but nothing happens when you push a button. Correct?

Do you see the "red" highlight when you left click?

Is the throttle working game except for the buttons?
Buddye

jhsimpson
Airman

Post by jhsimpson »

Yes sir, to both questions. When I select a button on the throttle however, there is no indication (on the right side) that anything was input....it's blank

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

OK, thanks.

You should have a message box after the button assignment as well as showing you the assignment (again on my pic).

Is the throttle working in game (the axis)?

Did you have the controllers unplugged when you started the Game?

Do other games see your controllers?

Can you assign buttons to your stick? or is it both controllers?
Buddye

jhsimpson
Airman

Post by jhsimpson »

yes , the throttle is working in the game
I do NOT have any message box after the button assignment and Nothing is showing the assignment

the throttle works fine in the game

the controllers were NOT unplugged when I started the game

Yes, other games see my controllers (as does BoB2)

I can't assign buttons to the stick either

Would the TrackIR 4 have anything to do with this problem?

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

No TrackIR is a seperate program outside of BOBII. It should be fine.

Did you do a CH program (outside of BOBII) that could be stopping the key assignment.

I recommend you unplug the Throttle and assign it to the stick. Then see if you can assign keys to the stick when the Throttle is out.

I want to see if thing work or not without the CH throttle.
Buddye

jhsimpson
Airman

Post by jhsimpson »

Believe it or not , I'm not sure HOW to unplug the ch throttle and ASSIGN it to the stick..... or do I just umplug the throttle and try assigning keys to the stick (that has also not worked in the past)

Thanks SO MUCH for the time and trouble you're investing I LOVE this game and would really like to take advantage of all that it has to offer

Thanks again !

Jim

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

This is really not necessary but just a thought on debugging the HW. I think something is blocking BOBII SW from assigning buttons for both your stick and CH Trottle. I was thinking of debugging the HW.

Do you have other games where you have assigned buttons? Does IL2 work with your current rig? or FSX?

You have (1) MS FFB2 joystick, (2)CH Products pedals, and (3) CH throttle. I assume all have UBS connectors that plug into the PC. Correct? Are you using a UBS hub? or do they all plug into the PC?

I was talking about unplugging the UBS connector from your PC for the CH throttle.

Then assigning the throttle to the slider on the MS FFB2 joystick.

Then checking in game flight and the throttle.

Then checking the button assignment for the stick.
Buddye

jhsimpson
Airman

Post by jhsimpson »

"debugging the HW"? what;s an HW?

Yes, IL2 1946 and all the controllers work fine

FSX ditto, all fine

They all plug into the PC though I do have a USB ub

Followed your directions. Unplugged the CH throttle and the system automatically recognized the joystick and I could use the throttle slider on the MS FFB2 joystick, so I didn't even have to assign the slider, it worked without any assignation

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

HW = Hardware (sorry, I am a technical type and I forget to use English).

So you can assign key in IL2 and FSX without problems.

Good the BOBII software picked up the change (unplugging the CH Throttle) OK then.

OK, now, can you assign Keys to only the MS FF stick?
Buddye

jhsimpson
Airman

Post by jhsimpson »

nope, can't assign keys to the joystick either although button number 2 mysteriously initiates "outsidetog" the very action that I'm trying to assign to one of the throttle buttons!

Weird, Eh??

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”