August 19, 2018 MP flight: Warbird Canyon Run

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

August 19, 2018 MP flight: Warbird Canyon Run

Post by Paughco »

Somebody suggested that we fly warbirds on August 19th during debrief from our August 12th mission (sorry about that problem with the troll Ratty! :wink: ). Next question is where? The easy thing would be to race around the pylons at Reno Stead. My only problem with that is that A2A hasn't released the P-51 for P3D. T-6s are too slow. The Spitfire would probably overheat under full throttle at low level. Even my P-40, which I've managed to get working in P3Dv4, is too slow for a straight-up pylon race. We need something with a bit more challenge, like, like, OH! The Grand Canyon!! But wait! Isn't it illegal to fly through the Grand Canyon? Turns out that's not a problem. I submitted a request to the VFAA (Virtual Federal Aviation Administration), and they gave us special permission to race our warbirds up the Grand Canyon, from a point on the Colorado river even with Temple Bar Airport (U30) all the way upstream to the Glen Canyon Dam. We can land at the nearby Page Airport (KPGA). The VFAA requested that we don't get above 1000' AGL and that stay above 150 knots IAS.

Meet at the parking area of U30 at 1930 UTC (1030 Local) on August 19, 2018. Warbirds are recommended, but you can run whatever ya brung. Weather can be default clear, or real weather, your choice.

Seeya
ATB

Corsair015
Senior Airman

Re: August 19, 2018 MP flight: Warbird Canyon Run

Post by Corsair015 »

Oh yes! This should turn out to be quite interesting.......

Count me in!
ImageImageImage
Corsairs Forever!

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Same same.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Did a photo recon run (per Bridges of Toko-Ri). The canyon run is do-able. DAMHIK. Hint: there is one bridge to fly under.

Seeya
ATB

Corsair015
Senior Airman

Post by Corsair015 »

Looks perfect! I was there the other day in my mustang and F-35B putting some practice in beforehand ;)
ImageImageImage
Corsairs Forever!

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

I did a trial run in the Civilian 'Stang today.

From a standing start at U30 to a full stop at KPGA took 55 minutes 30 seconds.

I ran at constant settings of 61" and 3,000 RPM.

I burned 162 gallons of 130-octane. I ran the left tank dry then switched to the right tank. Interestingly, when I checked the tanks after landing I found there were still 8 gallons in the left tank. Did they factor in fuel sloshing around in the tank? If so, nice one, A2A.

Coolant at shutdown: 96%

Oil at shutdown: 95%

Compression at start: 77 - 85
Compression at shutdown: 62 - 79

I'll be changing the rings.

Corsair015
Senior Airman

Post by Corsair015 »

ratty wrote:I did a trial run in the Civilian 'Stang today.

From a standing start at U30 to a full stop at KPGA took 55 minutes 30 seconds.

I ran at constant settings of 61" and 3,000 RPM.
I normally run through the canyon at about 50-55" and 2500-2600 RPM. Gives plenty of "OOMPH", and doesn't go above the redline and damage the engine.

But i guess more power is more fun!
ImageImageImage
Corsairs Forever!

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Corsair015 wrote:I normally run through the canyon at about 50-55" and 2500-2600 RPM.
Same here; it felt almost abusive to run her that hard for that long. But I was interested to see what happens to the engine running at redline for a long time, and I think the answer is: not much. It doesn't suddenly explode and apparently stays within the temp limits. It just wears out faster, and fortunately in the short term that seems to come down to piston ring wear. Of course, next time I could throw a rod, or blow an oil line, or . . .

Speed, incidentally, was in the 315 - 325 knot range, which makes some of those longer tight corners a bit of a challenge as you're at real risk of blacking out.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Debrief: Today's flight was a blast! I believe that the P-40 may be the perfect aircraft for this event, except for one minor thing, which is that it is not nearly as fast as a Mustang. Still, I'll bet that I was faster in the tight sections. This is a bit like comparing a really fast liter+ motorcycle to a 600 cc canyon bike. The big bike eats the little bike in the straights or on the sweepers, but the little bike takes care of business in the tight stuff. My P-40 didn't high speed stall/spin/crash once! I landed only about ten minutes after the Mustang guys got to our destination (and only about two minutes or so after the P-38!). OK, part of that time I was going the wrong way back down the canyon, because what do you expect? A2A didn't equip my P-40 with a GPS! Hey! Not my fault! :P

The above paragraph was written before I watched Ratty's video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yghajmd ... e=youtu.be. Those Mustangs rock! I want the Mustang for P3D!

All seriousness aside, today's flight was indeed a total blast, and I would like to thank all those who participated in the craziness and hooliganism.
Seeya
ATB

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

ratty wrote: I ran the left tank dry then switched to the right tank. Interestingly, when I checked the tanks after landing I found there were still 8 gallons in the left tank. Did they factor in fuel sloshing around in the tank? If so, nice one, A2A.
The fuel in the left tank was carb vapor return from when you were running on the right tank. Vapor always returns to the left tank which is why you always want to burn some off the left tank first if you take off with it full.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

AviationAtWar wrote:
ratty wrote: I ran the left tank dry then switched to the right tank. Interestingly, when I checked the tanks after landing I found there were still 8 gallons in the left tank. Did they factor in fuel sloshing around in the tank? If so, nice one, A2A.
The fuel in the left tank was carb vapor return from when you were running on the right tank. Vapor always returns to the left tank which is why you always want to burn some off the left tank first if you take off with it full.
You're right, but eight gallons seems like a lot. Of course, at 55" and 3,000 RPM you're pumping a lot of fuel . . .

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”