2D Instrument Panel views do not show

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
Ian-D
Airman

2D Instrument Panel views do not show

Post by Ian-D »

I have FSX installed in W10 and until the last few days the aircraft has always worked as it should. I am not sure if this is related but since a major update to W10 was belatedly installed a few days ago I seem to have had a few problems. XAudio2_6.dll crashes have occured, hopefully now fixed?
I cannot be absolutely certain any of this relates to the W10 update as it is some weeks since I last flew FSX and the C182 regularly.

However, the main question is that I have also found that I cannot view any of the C182 Instrument Panel 2D views, either from the drop down View menus or from Shift + 1-9.
All that happens is that a black window flashes briefly then disappears. The view is ticked in the drop down menu but definately no view visible, even with FSX minimised to make sure is isn't hidden. The "D transparency slider is at zero.

I can't find any responses that are completely relevent in the forums but I see there have been some related questions related to P3D installations

Any help would be appreciated.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: 2D Instrument Panel views do not show

Post by Paughco »

Try hitting the Alt key to get the menu, then reload the aircraft. Hopefully that will work.

Seeya
ATB

Ian-D
Airman

Post by Ian-D »

Hi Thanks for the suggestion Paughco. I tried what you said but no difference. I don't have a problem with the FSX drop down menus, I just can't get the A2A views in the Instrument Panel sub menu to show even though they are ticked.

I should add that I have already uninstalled the C182 and re installed but still had the same problem afterwards. It seems as though something is corrupting selection of the A2A sub menu views for the Map; Maintenance Hanger etc. I have checked a number of the other fsx aircraft I have and this problem only affects the C182.

Thanks

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Ian,

it could be a simple simconnect issue. We rarely advise a reinstall due to the issues it can cause. First up before trying anything else would be to remove the update folder and re-update the C182 so you are running the latest and back to the original point.

The update_fsx folder here can be deleted;
\FSX\A2A\Cessna182

And then run the latest Accu-sim updater.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Ian-D
Airman

Post by Ian-D »

Lewis,

Hi,

Busy today with young grandchildren but will follow up on your advice asap. I have been getting a sim connect failure message flash up but didn't know what to do about it. So what you suggest may well fix things. I'll let you know.

TKS

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi Ian-D,

Here is the SimConnect link, you can download. This is from the General Troubleshooting FAQ - C182 thread in the forum.

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Ian-D
Airman

Post by Ian-D »

Lewis,

Went through the process you suggested. Had some initial trouble in getting the latest updater to work - got error messages telling me the update failed to install (couldn't find \FSX\client.wyc). After a couple of failed attempts I copied the client file out of the deleted update_fsx folder into the Program Files\FSX folder and got the installer to work. It is now telling me I have got the latest version of the C182 installed, so I assume I have. Certainly it appears to be flying and working as it should.
Bad news is the 2D panel problem is still the same.

Any other suggestions to diagnose the problem. As far as I can be certain all settings are as advised in the forums now.

Cheers Ian

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Ian,

The Accu-Sim updater should perform a full update if it can't find the client.wyc file; this is why Lewis advised you to delete it.

By copying it back, the chances are your installation isn't properly updated which, of course, makes troubleshooting trickier.

Please can you confirm you've downloaded the most recent update available here? (10_12_2017 at the time of writing.)

Thanks,
Nick

Ian-D
Airman

Post by Ian-D »

Hi Nick,

Just to confirm, I did initially follow exactly the procedure suggested by Lewis but I just kept getting the failure to update messages at the end of the process, during multiple attempts. I agree that the insertion of the .wyc file might well have caused a problem but it became the only way I could see to make progress and get the updater to actually complete the update process.

However I can confirm that I have been using the latest update file at all times.

Having a few free minutes I followed the advised correct procedure once more yesterday. The update finally seemed to install completely as I expected it should and the update was confirmed as succesfully installed at the end of the process. (Is there any way to check the correct update has been installed from within FSX?) I was pretty hopeful that this would have fixed the problem but, disappointingly, it is still the same. I can see a brief flash of an appropriately sized black window when the menu is ticked but this disappears instantaneously leaving the menu still ticked. The aircraft is flying fine and everything seems to work fine but I am concerned at not being able to carry out maintenance tasks. I assume at some point this will cause problems?

The problem seems to be entirely restricted to the correct activation of each individual widow when it is called out from the panel.cfg

TKS Ian

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Ian,

simconnect is the next step, remember to install simconnect, then restart your system, a re-boot is important and tends to be forgotten by many as something thats handy to do resp when troubleshooting and installing or removing software.

thanks
Lewis

Ian-D
Airman

Post by Ian-D »

Hi Lewis,

I've been carefully through the processes you suggested:

I ran the SimConnect installer, then restarted my computer. I then went through the update process and restarted my computer. The 2D window problem is still there.

I was not certain about the SimConnect re-installation. It is a small program but, when it ran, it flashed up a message box that was too fast to read but did seem to indicate the program was installing but hard to tell if it was completed successfully. Is this what one should expect? I did investigate whether there was a Simconnect file or folder on my PC but could't find one. Should this be in ---\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX? Is there anything I can check to verify the SimConnect installation is good?

However, I am pretty sure SimConnect is working because I have just tried the C182 with Plan-G (which I believe uses SimConnect?) and it connects ok. The C182 update process seems to work correctly and, as I have said, all the messages indicate a successful update so I am begining to wonder whether updating is addressing the root of the problem? I have been through the process a number of times now and each time it says the 182 has been updated successfully.

Is there anything else that might prevent the 2D windows from opening correctly?

I'm quite happy to continue following any advice that may be forthcoming. Is it possible to do a completely clean install of the182?

Thanks again

Ian

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

are you running FSX Steam or Boxed version?

thanks,
Lewis

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Ian-D wrote:However, the main question is that I have also found that I cannot view any of the C182 Instrument Panel 2D views, either from the drop down View menus or from Shift + 1-9.
Hi Ian-D,

I quoted this line from your original post to clarify something - A2A planes do not have 2D instrument panels like original FSX ones.
Do you still see the same quick flash and then nothing for the "Shift+1-9" menus? If yes, try reinstalling the DirectX 9, link here.

--
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Ian-D
Airman

Post by Ian-D »

Hi Lewis and Will,

I'll try to answer both sets of questions:

I am running what was originally a boxed FSX Gold Edition. However some time ago, I think after I changed to W7 and my current PC and had to reinstall FSX for some reason, I found I could no longer automatically register the Acceleration pack and chose to revert to a SP1 & 2 standard.

To clarify what isn't working. None of the windows related to, for example, the aircraft walk around or any of the Instrument Panel sub menu views eg Quick Radios; Maintenance Hanger etc. (i.e. all the 2d panels referred to in the C182 Pilots Manual pages 91 to 95) will show. There is just a quick flash of a darker box the size of the menu item with no readable content. As mentioned before, the problem is the same whether Shift+1-9 is used or whether the drop down menu is used. If selected from the drop down menu the item remains ticked but is not visible.

The Input and Aircraft configurator windows are visible when activated from the Start menu. (this may or may not be relevent)

Will I tried the DirectX 9 re-install but it wouldn't install in W10.

Thanks for your help

Ian

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the update! Try right mouse button on the DirectX9 installation file and select "Run as administrator".
Windows 10 runs DirectX9 with no problem.

Cheerz,
Will

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”