still fouling spark plugs and starting engine.

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
AbstractArtist
Senior Airman

still fouling spark plugs and starting engine.

Post by AbstractArtist »

I am still having trouble starting the aircraft. Battery is weak a lot before can anyone help me? Plus I am always have trouble starting engine and fouling plugs, using the defualt spark plugs until I can stop fouling them. Also leaning the mixture and the sounds of the engine at proper mixture on ground with EGT gauge would help.

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Re: still fouling spark plugs and starting engine.

Post by Caldemeyn »

Check that your sim is patched, check that your plane is patched.

Check simconnect installation

Delete your DAT files located here C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\A2A You will start fresh this way

Check that you have a default situation loaded at the start of the sim. Then proceed by normally selecting the plane from the menu, set your airport etc.

Check that you have no problems with your peripherals, controls etc.

At the first time of loading the plane open up all pop up screens, check that all works. select cold&dark

Take off all ground connections.

typical quick and dirty startup for 172

check your CBs, turn your battery on, open your fuel valve and tank to both

turn your fuel pump, advance your throttle 30-40 %, advance the mixture to full for a couple seconds 6-7 works for me, pull it back full, turn off the pump. Hold the plane with your brakes.

Motor the starter until the engine catches, then push the mixture full, then after the engine stabilizes lean out until the engine sputters, advance mixture a little.

Maintain at least 900 rpm, better 1000 with the throttle, the trick with the massive spark plugs is to run with minimal fuel and enough throttle, in descends don't put the throttle to idle for an extended period, maintain some 1500

Boom :)

AbstractArtist
Senior Airman

Post by AbstractArtist »

Still having trouble with starting engine. Have to push gas to 80% or more for the engine to start? Can anyone explain why?

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

There is no gas, but there is throttle and mixture. What are referring to?

Are you following the checklists?

Make sure the fuel cutoff is off (pushed in).

The throttle should be set to about 25% and left there for priming and start.

Master on.

The mixture must be at cut off and the fuel pump must be turned on. Then the mixture opened fully and the engine primed for 5 seconds. Then the mixture fully closed.

Next the ignition is set to start and as soon as the engine fires, the mixture must be quickly opened fully to introduce fuel to keep the engine running.

Then promptly adjust the throttle to keep the engine at around 1000 rpm.

These fuel injected engines are not the easiest to start. This is a realistic procedure and behavior.

You have to follow the steps in the correct order and for the correct amount of time. Always remember that the engine needs fuel, air and spark in the correct ratio and timing for ignition to occur. Too much, too little, too early or late and you get poor results or nothing at all.

When the engine is still rather warm from recently being run, try to start without priming. It will usually start unless it has cooled off a lot.

If you have trouble starting the starter may be allowed to cool off. Real world calls for 30 seconds, 2 minutes and then 10 minutes. Accusim doors model starter damage. At least in Accusim it costs nothing to fix, a battery can easily cost 800 and a new starter 1000!

Practice makes perfect!

I am still feeling out a new carbureted engine as I determine how many strokes of prime it wants for cold weather. With temps in the high 30's it seems to take 4 strokes for a good start. In the high 50's it seems to start right up with 2. I nearly had to get a ground power cart hooked up the first time I tried starting it in cold weather because it just wouldn't start. Eventually you'll get a feel for it.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

AbstractArtist
Senior Airman

Post by AbstractArtist »

Yes I meant throttle. But I crank and crank but no go. I follow steps and it cranks and doesn't turn over. Plus put throttle at 50% or more it still doesn't start

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Like I said, the ratio is important. Too much air, by opening the throttle too far isn't going to help unless there is too much fuel.

Have you verified the priming procedure is being done properly? That's going to be one of the biggest blockers to success.

AbstractArtist
Senior Airman

Post by AbstractArtist »

Don't know if the priming is done properly. How can I tell. Getting tired of replacing starter and charging battery.

A-26Invader
Staff Sergeant

Post by A-26Invader »

Everything is okay in the maintnance hanger, as in the engine is healthy and not in need of an overhaul? Check the circuit breakers under the panel. Do you get fuel pressure when the fuel pump is on? If not check the fuel selector. Also verify there is fuel in the tanks and that there is no water. Check the oil level ect.

If you could, I know it is time consuming but can you list everything you are doing in order from when you start the game and until you start the engine? This will help us understand the situation.

Side note, is auto mixture turned OFF in realism settings and that the latest update has been installed?
ImageImageImage

AbstractArtist
Senior Airman

Post by AbstractArtist »

Yes, I will next time I am on. Plus all is up to date including the plane

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

AbstractArtist
Senior Airman

Post by AbstractArtist »

I follow all the checklist even after I do a preflight. still having trouble starting

A-26Invader
Staff Sergeant

Post by A-26Invader »

What does Ctrl E do for you? Also try the 'auto start'.
ImageImageImage

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

If you can record a video of your actions it will help. We once had someone priming for around 18 seconds instead of 5 and that would never result in a start.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

And just to add to all the replies I would also check the ambient temperature at where you’re trying to start the C172 since this will have a major impact on the time you need to prime.

Best if you could record a video and share it as Oracle suggested.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

AbstractArtist
Senior Airman

Post by AbstractArtist »

Will do the video after rehearsel tonight

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”