Odd Roll Issue

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Odd Roll Issue

Post by ClipperLuna »

Had something strange happen to my trusty 182 this weekend. Just after liftoff it kept wanting to roll to the right. Had to give it some constant left aileron to counter. Aileron and flap hinges looked OK during pre-flight. The A&P guys in Redmond took a look at it (you know, the maintenance hanger) and they didn't find anything wrong. I landed it, re-started P3D, and everything was fine. Any idea what that might have been? I'm running Active Sky for my weather if that matters. Seems OK so I'm not terribly worried, just wondering

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: Odd Roll Issue

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

It might be trivial question, but have you checked for fuel imbalance?

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I have had on occasions bad weather downloads from ASN , which i believe corrupts simconnect , which then plays silly devils with any A2A aircraft i am flying , to varying degrees.
Also if ASN gave a good weather download , could you be getting a crosswind or gusts on one side of aircraft , which could also cause you to either have loads of trim or stick control to stop aircraft from lifting a wing.
And i find this aircraft tends to roll in direction of prop unless correctly trimed , also pax load may have caused imballance.
regards alan. 8)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Wake turbulence and what not can be nasty. I think many turn it to 0 for Active sky due to some issues.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Oliver Branaschky
Senior Airman

Post by Oliver Branaschky »

That is correct, Lewis. Active Sky is somewhat notorious for introducing strange and exaggerated wake turbulence effects, for instance from AI aircraft holding short on a holding point. That’s why many (including myself) turn it off. In addition, the behavior the OP describes may well be the wake turbulence issue.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Fuel and passengers were both balanced, though yes the symptoms were kind-of like having one or the other out of wack. I think a bug with AS's wake turbulence may be it. I've left it on up until now just to remind myself that wake turbulence is something you have to watch out for in the real world, but maybe it's time for it to go.

As always, thank you all for your feedback.

Stafford Brown
Airman

Post by Stafford Brown »

I've noticed this at times too and I think its possibly my controller sensitivity levels, weather engine inflating the effects, or possible I took off with the Window cracked.

It also happens a lot less if I take off without letting the nose quickly rise and focus on airspeed increasing.

Stafford Brown
Airman

Post by Stafford Brown »

After another week of flying, I'm thinking exaggerated weather effects. Also if I raise the front nose wheel too soon and lift off I'm getting a single wing stall. I now focus on my airspeed being a little higher for liftoff and continuing to make sure its increasing. That adjustment in my takeoff mannerisms is helping greatly.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”